SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 17-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
byronselorme

Default Neurmatrix Chestnut Challenge

I would like to lay down another Chestnut Challenge for all the members on SomaSimple.

You can refer to the previous Challenge here for ideas.

Why another Chestnut Challenge? I have been very interested in the practical relevance or at least what effect the Neuromatrix Theory of pain has on people in pain. I was a little surprised when a pain researcher who is friends with Ron Melzack seemed to downplay its importance (read here). The idea of the challenge being to get to your core understanding and specific use of the Neuromatrix theory of pain as only you can best encapsulate it "in a nutshell".

Anyone who is a member of SS can write here but I hope you will respect the idea of this Thread.

Here are the rules:
1) 400 words max. Brevity is the hardest part I know, but maybe this constraint will force you to a new level of elucidation.
2) 1 entry on this thread per member. Unlimited edits of that entry.
3) If your edit is because you have a new understanding that contradicts an old one, separate and move the old idea to the bottom of your post and [date it], make a (*) where the modified entry is entered so that others can see your evolution (this is not necessary for grammar or wording clean up).
4) No links, quotes, or outside references. Original thoughts in your own words only.
5) No rebuttals, attacks, or defenses of any other entries. Save it for other threads.
6) No rants about any other system or belief. This is your 2 paragraphs of what you believe is most important about the/your ideas expressed here.

Here is what I plan to use this thread for:
This page will be used as a link in other places that I post/write but it will always be a link so that if your understanding/concept evolves, it will be the most recent version that others see. I would like to expose more people to SS via this challenge.

If you think that any of these points above need revisions or outright changes, post to the discussion thread here so that we can keep on point with each of the posts in this one.

Try to answer one of these questions "The Neuromatrix theory of Pain has practical importance for people who work with clients or patients in pain because...." or "The Neuromatrix theory of pain is important because..."

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote