SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Training, Courses, Conferences...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Training, Courses, Conferences... Good courses, conferences and trainings all around the world

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Sheffphysio

Default UK DNM course. October 2012

Andy, Dave and Hallamshire Physiotherapy are happy to announce that Diane Jacobs will be delivering a DNM course in the UK.

The Date for the course is Saturday and Sunday the 6th & 7th of October 2012

The venue for the course is Hallamshire Physiotherapy, Sheffield, UK.

www.hallamshirephysiotherapy.com

Sheffield is a 1hr 15min direct train trip from Manchester International Airport.

It is also close to East Midlands, Leeds/Bradford and Doncaster Robin Hood Airports. However there are not such straightforward connections from these airports. Email me (Dave) if you would like travel advice.

The cost of the course is set at £240

Lunch will not be included on any of the days, but good and reasonably priced sandwich shops are in close vicinity.

For this course to be financially viable we need a minimum of 12 people.

To express interest in the course and to book a place please email davidnolan22@hotmail.co.uk. I will then send you the application form and payment details.

Once you have paid you can cancel at any time and receive a 100% refund until we have 12 participants. At this time we will book non-refundable flights and hotels for Diane and hence no refund or withdrawal from the course is possible unless we are able to fill your space or have a surplus of participants.

Andy and myself have no interest in making money from this course. If we have a surplus of funds due to high demand we will either a) reduce the cost of the course and give money back or b) organise a social event on the Saturday night and put the money towards food and drink (Sheffield is the home of real ale). Even if no surplus is available, some social event will still be planned so we can all meet and chat in relaxed surroundings.

We are very keen to get this event off the ground and look forward to welcoming everybody and particularly Diane to Sheffield.

At present I am putting together an A4 poster advertising the course. Please feel free to use this to see if any of your colleagues would like to attend. It will be posted here in the next few days.

Once the course is confirmed I am happy to organise or advise people on accommodation. I have had a brief discussion with a nice bed and breakfast with 8 rooms near our practice that would be happy to let us block book all the rooms if needed. The cost would be approximately £50 a night. There are multiple other choices as Sheffield is a big City. The practice is 2 miles from the city center and a pleasant 20-minute walk.

Regards

Andy, Dave
Aoibhean (21-03-2012)
Old 20-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,471 Posts

Thank you ANdy and Dave, for putting this together. It sounds fabulous!
I'll do my best to make the workshop as interesting, informative, rational and immediately applicable as humanly possible (i.e., not be a disappointment ).
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
amacs
A bear of little brain

Just be yourself Diane, that will be enough

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Diane

Whew.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 21-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Aoibhean
SomaSimpler

This is excellent news .
Looking forward to it!

Aoibhean.
Aoibhean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Huzzah!
I will arrange for permission for the weekend and contact you anon!
Steve
ste5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
daniboy

Great news. I will look into flights and hotels and let you know ASAP about coming!
daniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
daniboy

Any chance it could take place the following weekend? That weekend turns out to be tough for me. But if not, I will try to shuffle things around and make it happen. But just to put the word out there in case any significant amount of people also find that particular weekend tough to manage.
daniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
amacs
A bear of little brain

Hi Dani

we would rather not begin shifting about it would seem most folks will be able to make that weekend, can you reshuffle?

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
Old 26-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Sheffphysio

We have had 11 people express interest, so hopefully the course will be viable. Please feel free to speak to colleagues. A poster will be ready very soon. Payment details just been sent out to those who emailed me.

Cheers

Dave, Andy.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Sheffphysio

Just to keep people informed. We have had 14 people contact me and express interest in the course. I've sent out applications and payment details to those 14 (if you didn't get it please get in touch!)

So when we get 12 paid up the course will be confirmed.

Cheers

Dave, Andy
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Diane

Do you have a "register by" date, Dave and Andy?

(And, BTW, nice work on filling up the class so fast, potentially. )
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Do you have a "register by" date, Dave and Andy?

(And, BTW, nice work on filling up the class so fast, potentially. )
working on it

ANdy
Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
JCG

Hi Guys,

I am new to the board but I would be interested in attending this course.

I am actually not a PT or any other variant of a hands on therapist but as a TMD sufferer with various musculoskeletal issues I have been a recipient of both physical therapy and osteopathy.

I have a passion for science and critical thinking and found this forum through the blog, science based medicine.

Jack
JCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
Diane

Hi Jack, thanks for your interest, but I will only teach people who already have a licence to touch other people.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Sheffphysio

Hi Diane,

The closing date for applications and payment is the 20th of May 2012. I will send email out to group in near future.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
JCG

Okay, I understand.

I had no intention of learning for any practical hands on purposes.

I wanted to attend to meet some people from this board and broaden my knowledge on human form and function.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
Diane

Hi Jack,
If you're in the UK, maybe you can meet the UK members in some other venue.
I am given to understand pubs are often involved.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
JCG

I'd really like that, the promise of beer only sweetens the deal!

I hope the course goes well for you all

Should I post over in the welcome forum and give a little background info on why I joined?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #20
amacs
A bear of little brain

You might want to pop in here too.

Regards

ANdy
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
Kaspars
SomaSimpler

Hello!
I'd love to come, I'm not quite sure what to expect though. I read in the other topic Diane is suggesting Q-A idea and such. I'm not sure I will be able to relate to questions asked by the hardcore somasimplers like Dave and Andy, so I'd love to hear the general information and some case studies as well.

Kaspars
Kaspars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Diane

Then, by all means, come and join whichever group is most convenient, the one in Sheffield or the one in Finland.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspars View Post
Hello!
I'd love to come, I'm not quite sure what to expect though. I read in the other topic Diane is suggesting Q-A idea and such. I'm not sure I will be able to relate to questions asked by the hardcore somasimplers like Dave and Andy, so I'd love to hear the general information and some case studies as well.

Kaspars
Hardcore?

hardly!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
Sheffphysio

I agree, hardly hardcore!!

If interested please email me and I'll send you the application form.

We have had really good interest and now the payments are coming through it looks like this will happen. We need 12 to make crossing the atlantic viable and we now have 9 that have paid and 20 expressions of interest.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Diane

Wow, only three to go (for viability) and it's only April. Good work you guys!
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
amacs
A bear of little brain

Dave has done the donkey work.

time I extracted the digit.

ANdy
Old 17-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
Sheffphysio

We have 11 paid up members of the course now, one more and we are booking flights for Diane. We are going to impose a maximum number as we want the experience to be as good for everyone as possible so if you would like to come then please contact me soon.
Old 17-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
CDano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffphysio View Post
We have 11 paid up members of the course now, one more and we are booking flights for Diane. We are going to impose a maximum number as we want the experience to be as good for everyone as possible so if you would like to come then please contact me soon.
Are you booking now or waiting until the May cut off. If now I'd say we have to cancel the Finland part unless Diane wants to risk staying an extra week for no reason.

The interested people here are all still thinking, Finns love to do that, and I gave them until the May date.
CDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
amacs
A bear of little brain

Hi Cole

We still holding off booking for now however we do need to be careful that we don't incur further costs by delaying too long. I would think once we have our twelfth person we will be needing to move on matters shortly after, Dave or I will let you know when we cutting off.

regards

Andy

Last edited by amacs; 17-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 18-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #30
CDano

Ok, this doesn't give me much of a chance to get it together.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
CDano

Nolan FWIW we are looking into doing a DNM workshop with Diane in Helsinki, Finland the following weekend.

info is here-

http://yoga-horizons.com/2012/04/der...-14-tentative/

Last edited by CDano; 24-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 24-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Sheffphysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
Any opportunity it could take position the following weekend? That few days changes out to be challenging for me. But if not, I will try to mix up elements around and get it done. But just to put the phrase out there in situation any lot of individuals also discover that particular few days challenging to deal with........
Sorry Nolan (nice name by the way), but the date is fixed.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #33
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,122 Times in 505 Posts

Dave, that Nolan appears to be a pre-spammer.
His post looks like it was put through Google translate back-and-forth.
The one from Daniboy (#8):
Quote:
Any chance it could take place the following weekend? That weekend turns out to be tough for me. But if not, I will try to shuffle things around and make it happen. But just to put the word out there in case any significant amount of people also find that particular weekend tough to manage.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
Diane

For anyone who wants to read up on DNM beforehand, here is a link to most of the conceptual underpinning.

DNM in a nutshell.
(Don't let the short title mislead you. The links are to blogposts, some of which are compilations of several on the given topic, and contain extensive links to other pages.)

If you want to learn your nerves ahead of time, go buy this app for your iPad.

And don't worry - the link to the actual manual will be provided to you, ahead of time (once I've converted the images to B&W from the nice colour ones which are too expensive to print, as Fred informed me.)

One day, I'll print the darn thing myself, in living colour. But for now, we'll still be working from the most recent draft.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
amacs
A bear of little brain

That looks like a great App - if you have an iPad!

regards

Andy
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
clarett

Just wondering if anyone has considered videoing the course? Is that something you're interested in Diane?
clare
clarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
Diane

Hi Clarett,
I do not know if any arrangements are being made to do that - I guess it would be up to the organizers. I have no objection.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
Sheffphysio

There are no plans to video the course at present.
Old 20-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #39
Nairb

Diane, something worth printing is worth printing in colour if you ask me.

If it were possible to have a choice between nice colour and b&w that would suit me fine.

If only b&w then I am also happy.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #40
Diane

You'll have a choice.
I've completed the manual in B&W, which will be sent via link, and am currently working on a reference list.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Nairb (27-06-2012)
Old 20-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
amacs
A bear of little brain

We will endeavour to produce a full colour copy for this course, Dave is costing that out at present.

regards

ANdy
Old 29-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #42
Nairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacs View Post
We will endeavour to produce a full colour copy for this course, Dave is costing that out at present.

regards

ANdy
I thought we were going to print it ourselves after downloading from a link. Hence my question. If it is professionally printed then b&w is fine with me. Professional colour printing is usually a lot more expensive than black and white.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #43
amacs
A bear of little brain

We are looking at the options, no promises as yet

ANdy
Old 21-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Default Offer of lodging

Hi All,
I am staying with friends in Sharrow in Sheffield for this course. They live about 30 minutes walk from Dave's clinic in Broomhill. They are putting me up and kindly offered to put another person up for the two nights too. It would be basic - a sofa bed in the lounge - but if someone was trying to keep costs down then it is there. They are expecting me late on the Friday and that I would be out on the Saturday evening with the course folk and that I would leave Sheff straight from the course finishing on Sunday. First person to PM me confirming their interest will get the berth.
Kind thoughts,
Steve

Know pain. Know gain.
ste5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #45
amacs
A bear of little brain

Thanks for that Steve

If anyone else can help out with accommodation or transport please let us know.

regards

ANdy
Old 30-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #46
amacs
A bear of little brain

Default Background for the Course

While there is no set reading for this course I have bundled together a number of links that relevant for folks to peruse as they wish. The document consits of a number of web links including some interviews that Diane has given.

regards

ANdy
Attached Files
File Type: doc Background reading.doc (27.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by amacs; 30-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amacs For This Useful Post:
Diane (01-07-2012), Nairb (03-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
While there is no set reading for this course I have bundled together a number of links that relevant for folks to peruse as they wish. The document consits of a number of web links including some interviews that Diane has given.

regards

ANdy
after a bit of faffing about here is the .pdf of the same file for those who are not word users
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Background reading.pdf (44.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by amacs; 02-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amacs For This Useful Post:
Diane (01-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #48
Diane

ANdy, here is something to add to your compilation, INTEROCEPTION, all about the critter brain.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
thrill96
Ecto Padawan

Quote:
after a bit of faffing about here is the .pdf of the same file for those who are not word users

ANdy,

Do you mind if I use this document for the Soma-Posium? I will, of course, credit you.

Thanks,

Will
thrill96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
Tirving
Devolving to evolve

Although I am not going to this course (I wish I could), some of the links in the document you posted do not work (for me, at least); just a heads-up.
Tirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply