SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,525 Times in 2,965 Posts
Default Deconstruction

I chose this word at first to title the MFR thread that Walt wanted to make, but he didn't like the idea of MFR being deconstructed, so I agreed to change the title. I think MFR got deconstructed anyway, or is in that process in that thread.

I really want to move a bit beyond the little fish bowl that is MFR, however. MFR is a good representative example of what is out there to be deconstructed because of all the hauling power it has achieved over the last 20 or so years, particularly in NA, but there are many many other examples. So I want to move on to what I think the real job is that must be done.

When I became a PT I really wanted to learn to use my hands to help people with their bodies, and that is all. I had a knack, proclivity, desire, and no small amount of persistence to make my way through life gradually acquiring the skills and the rationales. To me it has always been important to go deeper and deeper into the why of things. I might stay at a certain level for a time, but eventually get bored. For me, some childish or superficial or entertaining only level of explanation just won't suffice.. I need to go deeper. I don't really know why. Other people have other obsessions, collect stamps, or whatever; I collect information. (I often have no idea what to do with it, or where I put it, but it's in there somewhere in the undermind, composting away.)

Occasionally some bit comes to the surface that has not composted at all, like a red plastic toy truck in the bin. It won't return to and blend in with the rest of the information, and sticks out as incongruous. So it gets chucked out, without any further thought or a moment's hesitation. I practice being detached from my own pet thoughts/memes, so that they have the best possible chance to decompose/compost/deconstruct themselves. If I have any doubt about whether or not to chuck an idea, it gets saved in a different mental box labelled "To be reexamined at some later date after more wisdom has accumulated." Later comparisons will show such ideas to be either;
1. congruous in some hitherto unthought of way, or;
2. incongruous, another red plastic toy truck to be chucked.

The keeper thoughts/info bits/pet theories have always ended up being the ones that become the most nutritional over time, account for the most variables, overlap best with the best available science, support themselves with no effort from me. I really like that statement by Lyotard, "father" of postmoderism, who said that each of us is a node of knowing and responsible for what we put out into the world as well as for what we take in from it, something to that effect. That couldn't be truer, especially on the internet.

That long digression over, the point I want to make is this: every person, pretty much, who walks in for treatment, does so because at some level of their existance they feel as though they've either had a trainwreck or have begun to embody one. I love what I do; helping people overcome pain, turn around behavioral corners, understand what the derailment/rerailment might entail; usually somewhere along the line I end up handling soft tissue on live bodies, skin layers on people who are fully conscious, so that they know and can have a direct experience of their own system righting itself. It's a powerful experience at the individual nervous system level. I think that it a valuable experience that we can provide people, those of us willing to do hands-on work. I call what I do "neuromodulation." That term is what is left over after a lot of sifting out of plastic bits that wouldn't compost properly.

I really disagree with how this work usually gets packaged out there in the world. I think that outside of vitamins, perhaps, or weight-loss schemes, or financial scams, there are very few other human endeavors that could be so rife with deception and transparently poor thinking/justification/manipulation of peoples' minds and wallets, as is manual therapy at almost every Cartesian level of itself and its promoters, from deepest hard tissue (spine) to softest soft tissue (skin). If each of us only just took a bit of time and thought to prune back our inner mental interface with the world from time to time, plus do some reading (for Pete's sake..) we wouldn't find ourselves in such a cultural meme mess. Nor would there be such a plethora of crazythinking treatment systems out there to have to learn to live alongside.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Good post, Diane.

As a rider, looking at your new 'words' under your signature, something is worth noting re Mead.
Although her work was impressive and her quote is worthy, she was a total fraud and made up the whole thing about Samoan lifestyle. I'm sure you know that, and are just using her quote for the sake of its message.

She was severely 'deconstructed' and her message, whatever that was intended to be, ignored. So that was beneficial for social scientists and the Samoan people; but goes to show the extent some people will go to in order to be recognised as a trail blazer. She probably 'meant well'.
Reality/truth can always be manipulated to suit one's own purpose and aims - and many get away with it...at least for quite a long time. It's finding the truth, or the facts of a situation that can be difficult.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Diane

Nari, you pulled a rug out from under my very feet. I had no idea about her being fraudulent. Now I must go check her out. I mostly like the message.

How does this new signature sit with you Nari?
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Last edited by Diane; 06-01-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
Walt Fritz
Questioning Mesodermalist

Hi Diane,

After reading through all of the posts on the MFR thread regarding the research that backs up your work, I'm trying to figure out why the APTA, or at least Jon Childs, is bashing Barrett regarding CEUs and evidence. Who is Jon Childs, anyway. I read on the Evidence in Motion blog that he opposes Barrett, as well as John Barnes, and considers them the fringe camp. Not an oppositional question here, but what is his issue?

Walt
Walt Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Diane

Walt, you'll have to go ask John Childs.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 14-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Nick
Arbiter

Default I can see clearly now...

After following and participating in various web forums over the last few years, I have to laugh at the implication I have found on this site that everyone here supporting neuromodulation is a follower of Barrett. I remember several exhanges that were somewhat less than friendly and it is exciting to watch how the relationships and, more importantly for the purposes of such forums, the knowledge has evolved as challenges were met and people dug deeper to find and share information. Wow, have I learned a lot. It makes me hopeful for Walt. Unfortunately, sometimes digging deeper only means finding yourself in a trench and unable to communicate with anyone else.

I think most of the people here, believe it or not, have come out of the trenches and want to help other people out of their holes. Come on out of those Platonic caves. Stop looking at the shadows on the wall and come see what you can see in the sunshine.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote