SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts
Default Liberace's dilemma

In post #10 of this thread I wrote about the careful confluence of method and theory that forms an effective presentation and/or treatment session.

I know I’ve written a lot about these two aspects of our work since then (4 years ago) but feel the subject could use another bump, especially with all our new readers here.

In the post I quote Richard Dawkins:

Quote:
If the meme is a scientific idea, its spread will depend on how acceptable it is to the population of individual scientists; a rough measure of its survival value could be obtained by counting the number of times it is referred to in successive years in scientific journals.
That’s one thing; the theory and a measure of its acceptance.

The other is much harder to measure – the effectiveness of the messenger’s delivery.

How do we become engaging - attractive even - to the patients, referral sources and colleagues we want to impress while at the same time making it clear that appearance is a very tiny part of what our theory considers important?

Last edited by bernard; 10-03-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: link to post #10
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
tonyf315
OCD neuromatrix for sale

Hi Barrett,

I have to wonder how tiny of a part that really is though, especially from an attractive-to-the-pt standpoint. I am believing it is rather huge after learning about the importance of "threat" in a person's symptoms and making concentrated efforts to make sure I don't add to that in my interactions with them. Not sure if that's the kind of thoughts you are after here but my $.02

Tony
tonyf315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I anticipated this Tony, and I've written quite a bit about the "threshold" any therapist carries as part of their method.

I'm lucky enough to have one that most patients find acceptable (unless they much prefer a female therapist - it happens) but I work at it as well.

My emphasis here is on what the patient looks like and how easily swayed many therapists are by that.

Does anybody get my allusion to Liberace?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
norton

Not quite sure why Liberace. But he was accepted in a time when flamboyance and being different were not so socially acceptable. Presentation was over the top and he still succeeded.
Like Elvis according to this fellow.

http://mark-markmywords.blogspot.com...of-kitsch.html
Deb
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,255 Posts

Liberace was a classically trained pianist. Regular folks didn't listen to that, they listened to Elvis, the Beatles and Sinatra.

Liberace created this persona to get popular attention for an unpopular brand of music. Elton John kind of did the same thing in a way. Up to that point, fans wanted to see some sinewy guitar player up on the stage writhing about, but when they saw this outlandish piano player with his over-the-top costuming, they took notice.

The EIM guys know how to do this. They've got their "Manipalooza" thing coming up again this year. They refer to it as a "4-day festival of hands on learning in manipulation".
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

From what I've heard and read, Liberace grew convinced that despite his talent, hard work and education, he didn't possess the genius apparently necessary to rise in the entertainment world as he hoped.

He noticed however that simple candelabra, a white jacket, some jewelry and a blazing smile would get him noticed. It even made his piano playing sound better. Things grew from there.

He said, “My favorite review was this: I heard Liberace play last night and he’s certainly no Rubenstein. Then again, Rubenstein is no Liberace.”

Sometimes I think the same about me.