SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
ptdc

Default PT/DC

Hey everyone. My name is Mark and I'm a PT (5 months) and chiropractor (9 years). A few years ago I dove into the pain sciences (devouring Butler, Moseley, Nijs, Bialosky, George, etc.) and it's been a game-changer in my practice. I work for a hospital-based outpatient rehab clinic (32 hrs) as a PT and private practice (8 hrs) as a chiro and PT.
ptdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Welcome. You must have some interesting perspectives to share.
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
mrupe82

Mark,

Good to see you made your appearance here at SS. A few words of advice, read what they suggest and don't take anything as an ad hominem. You'll die sooner that way. That's a good thing around here...

Last edited by mrupe82; 04-10-2011 at 06:08 AM.
mrupe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,136 Posts

Welcome, Mark. Why did you decide to go back to PT school?
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,124 Times in 397 Posts

Welcome Mark, was it the pain sciences that had you take on PT in addition to your DC or something else?

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
ptdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Newman View Post
Welcome. You must have some interesting perspectives to share.
In some ways yes. At the end of the day I see myself as a PT that's really good at manipulation. I will never defend chiropractic, but I will defend manipulation.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,253 Times in 2,840 Posts

...Of the high neck? (Just checking to see how de-chirofied you are.)

Welcome to SomaSimple.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
John W

Quote:
I will never defend chiropractic, but I will defend manipulation.
It sounds like you have a perception that manipulation-by which I assume you mean high velocity thrust- requires a defense.

Do you think it's a strong position for the profession to be in to have to defend one of its treatment interventions? Maybe you mean that the way PTs approach and are re-defining manipulation away from the chiropractic concept of subluxation is what needs defending?
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
ptdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
Welcome, Mark. Why did you decide to go back to PT school?
I went through a "diplomate" program in chiropractic on rehab. It was a 300 hour seminar series focusing on spinal rehab (something never taught in chiro school). This program really lit a fire under me to actually teach patients how to take care of themselves and how to become independent rather than dependent.

I was at a Stu McGill seminar where someone in the crowd asked the speakers "with chiros wanting to do rehab and PT's wanting to do manipulation, where do you see the future of MSK medicine headed?" Craig Liebenson, a chiro I really respect, said "if chiros don't step out of the box and learn rehab, in the end they will be one-trick ponies, and ultimately dinosaurs."

I didn't see a long-term future as a chiro. In IL PT's can do manipulation and have "pseudo-direct access"...they can eval but not treat. If eventually PT's got direct access, can do what I do, AND get better insurance reimbursement for it, where does that leave me? Spinal screenings at a mall in 15 years?

I wrote out a pro's/con's list prior to applying to PT school and there were 12 pro's and 3 con's (the 3 con's were temporal and related to going deeper in debt). I focused not on the next 3 years but the following 25 and have not looked back.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #10
ptdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
It sounds like you have a perception that manipulation-by which I assume you mean high velocity thrust- requires a defense.

Do you think it's a strong position for the profession to be in to have to defend one of its treatment interventions? Maybe you mean that the way PTs approach and are re-defining manipulation away from the chiropractic concept of subluxation is what needs defending?
I love the fact that the majority of the research on manipulation is being done by PT's.

I do not subscribe to subluxation theory and never have. As far as the chiro profession defending it, well, there are fewer and fewer willing to stand in defense of it. Subluxation-based chiros are by and large the loud minority that give the profession a bad name. How would PT's react to the whole profession being painted as myofascial release or craniosacral practitioners?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
TexasOrtho
Arbiter

Hey Mark. Great to have you. Sounds like you'll find a lot of helpful information here. Once you hit 10 posts, you'll have access to the Sounds of Silence forum where we post quite a bit of peer-reviewed evidence.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,423 Times in 626 Posts

Welcome Mark. Enjoy the wealth of resources here (as Rod said - 10 posts and it is a BIG library that opens up).

As a bit of counterpoint to your thought about subluxation: (from SBM blog) Mirtz et al
suggest in 2 studies that 98% of chiropractors believed that “most” or “many” diseases were caused by spinal misalignments and over 75% of chiropractors believed that subluxation was a significant contributing factor to 50% or more of visceral disorders (such as asthma and colic), an implausible idea that is not supported by any evidence whatsoever.

You probably operated in a much more enlightened environment/peergroup, but it seems that the profession is not yet out of those woods. I really think you made a good move! Now, it will be tough to withstand the PT-dogmas that still persist in the academic realm - without evidence......

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Hi Mark,

Given your interests, you may have something to share in the manipulation solution thread and your input would certainly be appreciated.
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,728 Posts

Welcome Mark.

I'm pretty sure we got into it with Liebenson a while ago. He left.

Does anybody else remember that thread?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Steve Hill
Skeptical Learner

So it only takes 10 posts to get to the library? Whew, I just hit 11. I was thinking I was on 7 and was going to keep posting silly questions until I hit 10. Never mind.
Steve Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,440 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
So it only takes 10 posts to get to the library? Whew, I just hit 11. I was thinking I was on 7 and was going to keep posting silly questions until I hit 10. Never mind.
I believe there is a 30 day wait (from registration) that accompanies the 10 posting requirement. Do not be dismayed if you do not get access to the library immediately.

Welcome aboard.

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
John W

Mark,

Perhaps you misunderstood my question. I wasn't talking about defending the indefensible subluxation theory. That has been definitively debunked despite its persistent popularity and invocation among most chiros, as Bas has indicated above.

I was asking about defending manipulation in general. When I hear someone state that they will defend a technique, the logical inference is that it is under attack. I'd be interested to hear what your impression is of the "attack" on joint manipulation and how well the current science and research evidence supports its use.

This may be a topic for another thread if you'd like to start one. That'd be a good way for you to get engaged in a discussion here that will eventually result in your access to all the site has to offer.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
joebrence9

Quote:
I was asking about defending manipulation in general. When I hear someone state that they will defend a technique, the logical inference is that it is under attack. I'd be interested to hear what your impression is of the "attack" on joint manipulation and how well the current science and research evidence supports its use.
Was Manipalooza not enough evidence for you John???
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #19
John W

I missed it.

I prefer my "-paloozas" as entertainment events, not vehicles for supposed professional growth.