SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
mrupe82

Default Orthopedic Black Belt

Do you have an orthopedic black belt?

This individual has demonstrated amazing ‘hands’ with all forms of orthopedic ‘dysfunctions’ and astute sensitivity unattainable by those without similar ‘training.’ Once found, these dysfunctions are immediately cured and corrected with a ritualistic technique based upon their feel, speed, direction and detail. It is impossible to help a human without a black belt. Your white, yellow, green and red belt cannot stand up to the force that is the black belt.

The mere sight of a black belt makes those around him/her feel inferior. People want to learn the feel for microscopic dysfunctions, techniques, and rituals to fix the moldable piece of clay before them. The master walks about as his karatekas practice on one another perfecting their trade. If a student does not feel what the grand master has felt, they need only pay more money for their belt promotion.

After a long hard weekend and close to a thousand dollars, the karatekas leave the dojo feeling confident in their skills. With new belts around their waists, they can now fight any dysfunction; especially the asymptomatic ones they’ve corrected in the last two days.

After months or years of sparring with orthopedic dysfunction and pieces of clay with pain the student has continued to lose many matches. They must return for more intensive training. The feel, detail, speed, and direction must be improved for two days with the oversight of the sensei.

Many years of sparring in the real world makes the student look deeper into their chosen art. The student cannot help but think of the sensei as comparable to Cosmo Kramer. In this case there are a few options for the student; continue with martial arts or…
mrupe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrupe82 For This Useful Post:
Diane (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
NateM

You bring up a great point, Matt, that the orthopedic black belts are obtained by the same methods that most martial arts black belts are...money.

I wonder when we'll have 8-year-old orthopedic black belts among our midst?

NateM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
advantage1

What a brilliant anaolgy. This is exactly how we are made to feel in Canada as manual therapy students. I once allowed myself to attend these manual courses and be made to feel that I had a white belt with a yellow stripe. And if I continued to attend all of their courses I may be allowed to receive my full yellow belt as long as I could demonstrate my 'kata'.

If you want to be entertained and have some free money to burn I would suggest attending one of these courses at this stage of your career. Providing conflicting research and explanations from a neurobiology perspective can make an instructors head spin. You also have to be prepared to have the entire dojo turn on you like the Cobra Kai. mrupe82, I think you will enjoy the music this video is set too as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lUt0Ile00
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,528 Times in 457 Posts

Oh man you totally stole my clip I was going to imbed.

Anyways, there it is.

I don't think we should fault therapists with more sensitive nervous systems than our own after all we have much to learn from them (hands/touch, eyes, hearing, emotional etc). However, we should find fault therapists whom think they can teach, ahem sell, this through didactic education and use a biomedical and operator theory to apply their knowledge through their hands.

What kind of belt do you wear?

Eric
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Gil Haight

Has anyone ever seen the size of the trophys handed out at a gathering for young enthusiasts of the martial arts? Excellent analogy Matthew.
Gil
Gil Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
NateM

This also makes me think of EIM (and other residency groups) promoting orthopedic residencies as the answer to what ails physical therapy. So then we'll have hoards of PT's offering manipulation (which seems to be the major focus of "advanced" training) as our savior.

While the explanations for the PT's application of manipulation might be better supported by evidence, I still wonder why no one (except here) is asking if it's even necessary in the first place.

NateM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Gil Haight

Eric,
Many years ago Barrett wrote a piece called the Vase. In it he describes an important aspect of "Soft Hands". It doesn't take years of experience to develop, only a change in attitude and relationship.
Barrett, could you post the essay?
Gil
Gil Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
advantage1

milehigh,

Nice to see someone else who appreciates the Karate Kid and its many important messages! (not that crap remake with Will Smith's kid).
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,116 Times in 1,772 Posts

Thanks for remembering this Gil. I know it's been linked to many other sites.

The Vase.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
amacs
A bear of little brain

Great one Matt, thoroughly enjoyed it, I guess it could be extended into different "schools" of orthopaedicism, black belt in ___ or ____ or ____ fill in the blanks as chosen. Of course there is always Ultimate where you combine them all as you see fit.

regards
ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote