SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,796 Posts
Default Be suspicious of any simple story

This video about story reiterates much of what has been said here about the its nature.

I hover above my messy life and it is incomplete. Stories compel me, drive me, occur to me and teach me. I imagine teaching via the ones I make up.

They are all untrue, and what I can do about that Tyler Cowen makes clear.

Not much.

What is your story? What stories do you hear? What makes you suspicious?

(Thanks to Carol Lynn for finding the video)
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (20-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I thought that these questions would generate a response.

Perhaps having to watch the video (16 minutes) was asking too much.

The point is this: We can't talk about story's tendency to mislead us without telling yet another - and a misleading one at that.

As has been said here before, it is when we tell the patient how we interpret their story that our personal biases are revealed. Around me I commonly hear patients asked exactly where they hurt. After being told the "therapist" grows silent and appears thoughtful. The patient may see this reaction as legitimate concern. I see it as an effective method of shutting the patient up by another who is clueless and willfully ignorant.

Yea, I said it.

By shutting down another's story without encouraging its completion through meaningful interpretation the opportunity for teaching and learning is lost, and "therapy" once again disappears.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,567 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
What is your story?
Your posting yesterday had me thinking.

Something I wrote for tomorrow:

Quote:
Publicly, I have been telling everyone that my transition is for personal reasons. The hours are better. The insurance costs are less. I have more flexibility with my scheduling. My reasoning gives me an easy out, a politically correct means of leaving on good terms.

Privately, I had convinced myself that I am leaving because it is an opportunity to grow. I can spend more time with my patients, learning to communicate with them more effectively. I will have a chance to read and study more. I will integrate new scientific ideas into my care, independent of the malicious, uninformed, ego-centric resistance of others.

Yesterday, Kelly (a friend, and colleague) approached me in the hallway and inquired as to my reason for leaving. I shared with her my private story, the story of my personal journey. She looked at me puzzled, “But home care is way beneath your skill set.”

Her words, have brought to mind a different and less common storyline, more palpable today than yesterday. My story is one of good versus evil. It is a conflict between all that is "therapy" in my field, versus all that is "physical"; a battle between all that is right and all that is mostly wrong.

It is the a story of a personal battle that I must not lose…even if the care that I have to offer my patients is considered “beneath me”.
Respectfully,
Keith
Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
keithp
SomaSimpler

Quote:
What stories do you hear?
To a new PT student who entered the clinic for the first time, but will be there longer than I will be:

Quote:
This guy has some wicked pain in his thigh...very discy. He isn't centralizing yet, but we'll get him.

Have you met Keith? Be careful with him. He will tell you that this guys pain is all in his head. He will try to bring you over to the dark side. Be very wary...he'll f#ck you up in the head.
Respectfully,
Keith
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Keith,

I'd welcome you to my world but I know you've already been here a while.

With your blog post you've done it once again - and I know something about how hard that is to do.

Inherent to your post is the separation of people into two groups - those who deserve "good" therapy (whatever that is) and those who are offered something else.

I had to abandon my solo practice after 28 years because the referral sources were given the oportunity to make that distinction when a national corporation moved into town and offered the doctors money.

Guess who they sent to me?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Keith,

I am curious about this perceived difference in quality between home care and clinic care. Why would any PT believe home care is inferior? Cannot understand that mind set.

I know one PT who has been doing home care for about 12 years; she loves the independence and lack of distracting elements, citing a study which indicated patients do much better in their own familiar setting.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,525 Times in 2,965 Posts

How about be suspicious of any story, period?
Nice example of dogma-busting blogpost about a dogma-busting neuroscience paper.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
caro (12-01-2012)
Old 13-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanks for the link Diane.

I agree, we simply cannot trust stories. The problem is that there's nothing to replace them that I know of.

As I once heard reported on Radio Lab, Galileo told stories and was well-understood. Newton refused to and spoke to an empty room for 17 years. (See this)
Old 13-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Diane

Here is another blogpost, about the dogma-bust, by Janet Kwasniak.

Unfortunately, stories (however clumsy and linear and untrue, ultimately, they may be) are to motivated human cognition as a downward incline is to a bicyclist. And unfortunately, linear information is the only kind we have to exchange, whether it be teaching (passing it on) or learning (taking it on). EVERYTHING has to go through our own Occam's BS detector, always. Especially anything we choose to teach, if we're serious about not passing on BS.

If we were to make a graph called "Story", with "pure BS" at the top, and "Absolute truth" across the bottom, and set a little person out onto it to find his or her way, without telling them the labels or orientation, the resulting line would go all over the place pretty haphazardly I'm afraid.

I saw a graph a bit like that lately. It was about the difference between climate and weather. It was an animation. It showed a guy out walking a dog. The guy ("climate", or "long term trend") plodded steadily in a given direction. The dog ("weather", or "short term trend") went all over, zigzagged but ultimately moved in the same direction as the guy, since they were linked. But, they are not the same thing. And in science the "guy" is invisible - all anyone has is the average of whatever the "dog" does, and inferences raised by that zigzag trend line.

Likewise, BS and truth are not the same thing. But they do tend to be yoked together, like it or not, by story.
No "true" story will ever ever be completely true. No BS will ever be complete BS without at least one iota of "truth".
We're dead.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 13-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
keithp
SomaSimpler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nari View Post
I am curious about this perceived difference in quality between home care and clinic care. Why would any PT believe home care is inferior? Cannot understand that mind set.
I think that home care is often perceived to be where lazy, disinterested, check-cashing therapists go to make a living. I am certain that this is true in some instances, but certainly would not be true in all/most cases.

The other thing is that ortho clinicians, in my experience, consider themselves better trained than acute care or home care clinicians (or any other for that matter). After all, the acute care clinician is not spending 10 minutes looking for an ERS dysfunction, applying postural restoration techniques, or (insert meso-paradigm here). Basically, home care is considered to be a rudimentary and less intellectually challenging brand of therapy. As long as a therapist looks at the patient as a series of parts to fix, they are probably right.

I don't see things that way anymore.

Respectfully,
Keith

Last edited by keithp; 13-01-2012 at 01:24 AM.
keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Quote:
As long as a therapist looks at the patient as a series of parts to fix, they are probably right.
This is a quite accurate assessment, whether it is in the home or the clinic. Reminds me of times not so long ago when a patient was referred to as THIS back from ER, or leg or some other bit.

It's hard to tell, in these days of huge multi-disciplinary clinics, whether things will get worse or not. Home care sounds perfect...

Nari
Old 13-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Diane

Keith,
When you stop caring about external perception of your choices, and consider what your choices will mean for your own life, your own "self", your own development, your own writing, your own integrity, your own evolution as therapist, your own lifespan as a human primate social groomer, you will be able to relax and embrace them as being the best for any dead guy to have picked.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
caro (13-01-2012), ian s (13-01-2012), keithp (13-01-2012)
Old 13-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Keith,
When you stop caring about external perception of your choices...
Or, as is often the case, misperception (assuming such a thing exists).

Although, if your main interest is in being accurately perceived by those you encounter then you simply can't stop carrying about how others are interpreting you.
Old 13-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
keithp
SomaSimpler

Quote:
No "true" story will ever ever be completely true. No BS will ever be complete BS without at least one iota of "truth".
I am envisioning an American crime drama with the all-too-familiar scene, set in a courthouse:

Quote:
Bailiff: "Please raise your right hand. [the witness raises their hand in compliance] Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"
Perhaps we might reply, "No...but I promise to be honest." ?

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 13-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Diane

As honest as we can.

Check out this video featuring Robert Trivers, discussing deception at many, many biopsychosocial levels. It's about 16 minutes, really good.
http://fora.tv/2011/10/04/Robert_Tri...eive_Ourselves
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 13-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Keith,

I know one PT who has been doing home care for about 12 years; she loves the independence and lack of distracting elements, citing a study which indicated patients do much better in their own familiar setting.

Nari
Inherent elitism that in some sense "manual" therapists are at the top of the tree in terms of interventional capacity? ANd perhaps of among those the manipulative and the sports therapist vie for primacy?

are more neurocentric paradigms in danger of becoming similarly elitist (we have "special") knowledge.

money and power, money and power

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Last edited by amacs; 13-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I think we have to be very careful with the use of the word elite these days. It has come to mean something other than intelligent, informed, thoughtful, well-trained and educated - which is the way it was originally meant.

So-called elite pracitioners in many disciplines these days are portrayed as money-grubbing and uncaring. This is unfair, and, since the word now has many conflicting connotations it has become meaningless.

I remember standing in line at the health center at Ohio State prior to the disco era. A shorter line leading to better care was reserved for the varsity athletes. This was the dawn of "sports medicine." I didn't like the implications then and I don't like them now. The new meanings of "elite" come to mind.

As far as stories go, now I seem to be working in a department possessed by their telling because the staff thinks that every story constitutes "therapy." That's absurd.

After all, aren't stories supposed to have a point?

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 13-01-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Sports physios certainly have a 'place in the top storey' but who put them there is another question.

I agree with Barrett that the word 'elite' has lost all its original meaning. Perhaps the sports physios became 'elite' because they work with 'famous' sporting elites, therefore they are special. So it is not what they do with their patients, it is the patients who count.

Bah humbug.

Nari
Old 13-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Diane

Quote:
Perhaps the sports physios became 'elite' because they work with 'famous' sporting elites, therefore they are special. So it is not what they do with their patients, it is the patients who count.
Whether they are the upstairs maid or the kitchen wench, they are still just the help, hired to help to elite athletes.

Whether the elite athletes are the upstairs maid or the kitchen wench, they are still just high-paid meat cogs in the big corporate sport machine.

Another analogy: sports PTs are to elite athletes as grooms/jockeys are to racehorses.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 13-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I have always grown infuriated when it is said "Athletes are more highly motivated and have a higher ain threshold." This is thoughtless.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
amacs
A bear of little brain

My use of the term elite was intended very much in a self-referential way.

I am very fortunate, perhaps privileged (and in the same breath cursed) to know what elite really is or means - I do not recognise it in this profession in the terms or way it is usually used.

regards

ANdy

I wonder what Ken's take on elite is? Ken?
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
Old 13-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
Sheffphysio

My take, for what its worth. Is have a face that fits, know the right people, say what they want to hear, be unbelievably charismatic and certain in yourself. Hope nobody calls your bluff.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I find it interesting that these last two opinions are from the UK, and I agree with them both.

Here in the states elite is commonly used in a pejorative fashion. It is clearly an extension of the anti-Intellectualism popularized by many on certain radio and TV shows as well as others running for national office.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
amacs
A bear of little brain

Default Elite is as elite does

Quote:
I find it interesting that these last two opinions are from the UK, and I agree with them both.

Here in the states elite is commonly used in a pejorative fashion. It is clearly an extension of the anti-Intellectualism popularized by many on certain radio and TV shows as well as others running for national office.
Interesting indeed and I think it depends on context. Certainly the term is overused and can often be pejorative, perhaps indeed that was the slant I was taking in my intial post but there are other occasions when I am aware of a different usage usually among specific or between specific groups. To me the likes of premiership footballer have yet to learn the meaning of the word.

Someone else who might have an interesting perspective would be Jason

On a different note I note the return of Paul Scholes Dave!

regards

ANdy
Old 13-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Sheffphysio

Desperate times, desperate measures. We ain't got the cash to compete. Add that some useless **** in midfield and we need to bring back the ginger wizard.
Old 19-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
Diane

Something that may shed a bit of light: Story as "logic structuring", by Randy Olsen, scientist turned film maker.

Excerpt:
Quote:
The information people prefer ABUNDANCE, the entertainment people thrive on SCARCITY.

And this is what is at the heart of storytelling. You hold people’s interest by withholding (artfully) the information they are seeking — keeping the clues scarce — forcing the audience to follow your thought processes that lead to the eventual answer.
... If he were a scientist he would start his report with the trivia question, immediately give you the answer, then progress forward. But a storyteller poses the question then doesn’t “pay it off” until the end of the report/story. It’s a way of approaching the process of communication. Yes, it’s manipulative, but it can be done in a totally honest and “non fact-bending” way. If you do it well, people enjoy and appreciate the journey.

That’s what storytelling is about.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 19-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Something that may shed a bit of light: Story as "logic structuring", by Randy Olsen, scientist turned film maker.

Excerpt:
And every course is a story, some even come in installments ...

Regards
ANdy
Old 19-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
Diane

Exactly. And they do NOT have to spin off into fiction.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 20-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Exactly. And they do NOT have to spin off into fiction.
Too many indulge in "faction"
Old 20-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Great find. I've printed it out.

Before people had the opportunity to listen to radio, then movies etc. they were better storytellers.

I think.
Old 20-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #31
byronselorme

I really enjoyed Tyler Cowen. Thanks for that Barrett. I think that is what I wrestle with and have gained great insight in when watching and learning from my simplistic classifications of something so complex as another human being.

Thank you

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote