SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 19-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #101
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

I think pain can be considered a particular type of conscious experience (versus a different type of consciousness) and I think reductionism is the only solution to its study. However, I agree that reductionism isn't the solution to its treatment.

A book I recently have been reading (in order to avoid reading Don Quixote) is The Ego Tunnel by Thomas Metzinger (referenced elsewhere here at SS). I thought he made a particularly interesting point on page 18. (brackets mine)

Quote:
In the meantime, we have learned many lessons. We have learned how great the fear of reductionism is, in the humanities as well as how among the general public and how immense the market is for mysterianism [some might claim it's infinite]. The straightforward philosophical answer to the widespread fear that philosophers or scientists will "reduce consciousness" is that reduction is a relationship between theories, not phenomena. No serious empirical researcher and no philosophers wants to "reduce consciousness"; at best, one theory about how the contents of conscious experience arose can be reduced to another theory. Our theories about phenomena change, but the phenomena stay the same. A beautiful rainbow continues to be a beautiful rainbow even after it has been explained in terms of electromagnetic radiation. Adopting a primitive scientistic ideology would be just as bad as succumbing to mysterianism. Furthermore, most people would agree that the scientific method is not the only way of gaining knowledge.

Last edited by Jon Newman; 20-07-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Newman For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (26-03-2012)
Old 20-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #102
BB
Arbiter

Default Sean Connery holds the key

I've been thinking that this thread needs a clarifying metaphor or story to go along with it. So, I've tried to come up with one. It is the story of The Submarine in the Canyon. (I apologize for naval inaccuracies in advance to anybody who actually knows of these things from places other than movies, as Sean Connery was my inspiration for this story and not the navy.)

Worse than being in a canyon, the sub may also be in enemy waters. All communication has been cut off so the sub cannot check with the fleet to update on the position of the enemy. Worse still, all of the maps are old and the detail about the canyon is lacking. The sub must navigate through the canyon anyway. Understandably, the captain has put the sub on high alert. Its mission is simply know that they are in safe water which would culminate in an "all clear."

There are many ways that the actual danger that the sub is in can be reduced. The fleet can destroy or drive away all enemies from the area. Although this would reduce the danger for the sub, it would not bring about the desired result because in order for the captain to give the all clear he must have access to the information.

The sub version of blanket bombing (pharmacologic analgesics) could be performed and reduce the threat from enemy relatively for a known distance and time, but the canyon must still be navigated and the captain would still keep the sub on high alert.

Communication could be restored, allowing the sub access to information about the location of enemy. Also, the sonar could be used to continuously "ping" the walls of the canyon allowing the map to be more clearly defined, actively seeking a path, and a safe navigable path made clear through the canyon. Knowing the coast is clear and having a well drawn map would definately be sufficient to reduce the threat to the necessary level for the captain to give the all clear.

But there's a thing about a submarine. The crew doesn't go off high alert when the threat is cleared. They go off high alert when the captain says they can go off of high alert.

This depends on the captain's training, his knowledge, his clarity of thinking, his trust of the information he's recieving, etc.

So, despite the fact that there are all manner of sensible approaches to be taken to reduce threat and restore or demonstrate safety, the desired result depends upon the captain. This does not take away from the utility of those measures performed. It would make sense to obtain a clear map. It would make sense to reduce enemies in the area. It would make sense to restore communication. And in performing these acts, certain skills would be necessary for completion of that task, like knowledge of how to use and read sonar for example. A sensible captain would require certain things, and another sensible captain may require different but still sensible things before they will give the "all clear" and these differences may reflect differences in the skills in which that their respective crews are stong. Some crews may be better navigators than others. There may also be captains who give the "all clear" even when threat remains and/or the canyon not yet cleared.

This is my favorite thread in awhile, by the way.

My facebook page
My youtube channel Twitter

Neurotonics: a PT team blog
Somasimple on twitter
Pain and Neuroscience for Manual Physical Therapists Facebook page
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:
Ken Jakalski (27-01-2014), Mark Hollis (28-01-2014)
Old 20-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #103
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,745 Times in 3,044 Posts

I like your metaphor Cory.
There's a piece I'd like to add, if I may.

There's a chance some part of the sub will get dinged by canyon walls, or torpedoed by the enemy, and start to leak.

If a leak happens, the immediate thing one must do is seal off the area and try not to drown. That is compartmentalization, even to the extent of dissociation.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #104
Frédéric
Swaying against the breeze

I'll be less profound than you guys :

On persistant pain :

MT = mostly specific short term/immediate pain relief via transient mechanical changes and/or mouvement of a mesodermal structure (ex : opening an IF and decreasing pressure on a nerve root or any mvts of the LB helping the flow of the cerebrospinal fluid and its sensitizing chemicals to get away from the sensitized segments) and decreased nociptive sommation in the spinal chord.

MT = both non-specific long term and short term/immediate pain relief via placebo/brain response/morphing effect because decreased perceived threath, +ive anticipation, the conviction of doing the right thing for your condition. This will, in turn, have a possible mechanical effect on the tissues following a brain output.

We could argue there's always a bit of both but the %s probably favors the above hypotheses.

The repetition of the first part, more specific, might lead, over time to the second more non-specific response.
Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
»
Friedrich Nietzsche
www.physioaxis.ca
chroniquesdedouleur blog

Last edited by Frédéric; 20-07-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Clarification purposes
Frédéric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #105
EricM
Arbiter

Good points Frederic, however in my view, I think your long-term/short-term mechanisms might be reversed. It's complicated isn't it?
Old 20-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #106
Frédéric
Swaying against the breeze

Eric,

I clarified my points
Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
»
Friedrich Nietzsche
www.physioaxis.ca
chroniquesdedouleur blog
Frédéric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #107
Luke Rickards
Arbiter

Some more from Kaptchuk on the placebo response.
Quote:
"Maybe I Made Up the Whole Thing": Placebos and Patients' Experiences in a Randomized Controlled Trial. Kaptchuk TJ, Shaw J, Kerr CE, Conboy LA, Kelley JM, Csordas TJ, Lembo AJ, Jacobson EE. Cult Med Psychiatry. 2009 Jul 14.

Patients in the placebo arms of randomized controlled trials (RCT) often experience positive changes from baseline. While multiple theories concerning such "placebo effects" exist, peculiarly, none has been informed by actual interviews of patients undergoing placebo treatment. Here, we report on a qualitative study (n = 27) embedded within a RCT (n = 262) in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Besides identical placebo acupuncture treatment in the RCT, the qualitative study patients also received an additional set of interviews at the beginning, midpoint, and end of the trial. Interviews of the 12 qualitative subjects who underwent and completed placebo treatment were transcribed. We found that patients (1) were persistently concerned with whether they were receiving placebo or genuine treatment; (2) almost never endorsed "expectation" of improvement but spoke of "hope" instead and frequently reported despair; (3) almost all reported improvement ranging from dramatic psychosocial changes to unambiguous, progressive symptom improvement to tentative impressions of benefit; and (4) often worried whether their improvement was due to normal fluctuations or placebo effects. The placebo treatment was a problematic perturbation that provided an opportunity to reconstruct the experiences of the fluctuations of their illness and how it disrupted their everyday life. Immersion in this RCT was a co-mingling of enactment, embodiment and interpretation involving ritual performance and evocative symbols, shifts in bodily sensations, symptoms, mood, daily life behaviors, and social interactions, all accompanied by self-scrutiny and re-appraisal. The placebo effect involved a spectrum of factors and any single theory of placebo-e.g. expectancy, hope, conditioning, anxiety reduction, report bias, symbolic work, narrative and embodiment-provides an inadequate model to explain its salubrious benefits.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #108
Diane

This is old, but good I think, in that it differentiates a bit more between placebo effect and placebo response. Response seems to boil down to good therapeutic relationship, and the patient retaining locus of control.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 21-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #109
Diane

About the other line of thinking, re: virtual bodies, I offer this (from 2007), and this (from 2008). They are both a bit old, but I plan to dig up more recent work when I get time.

To me this is really where it's at - helping people learn to understand their own brain's perception, how it can differ from their own. Once they get that the brain works differently from how their conscious awareness works, and that "they" are not in charge of their brain, that it is in charge of them and they need to create a good relationship with it, their own brain, it's easy. Prior to that little cognitive feat, which requires a new level of understanding of how their brain is something quite a bit more complex than their conscious awareness is, nothing about this would make any sense; after, it does.

Education of a simple sort, showing them a big picture of the entire neural tree, telling them about things like upregulation and downregulation, helps them not worry so much that they must have some horrid thing wrong with their "real" body. They can get that the brain might be a bit frantic and giving them information that is blown way out of proportion, based on wrong info coming from or traveling to a virtual version of their body. Treatment (my kind) helps them realize this, because it's so light (i.e., it couldn't possibly be helping a "disc" or a buried "joint"); they also get that they'll be fine if they do their homework.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 26-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #110
Diane

Here is a google online-book link to the chapter in Wall's book, on placebo response.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 29-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #111
Diane

There is a thread about placebo at the moment, at SBM, about this book (free online) called Placebo Medicine. The thread is called Incorporating Placebos into Mainstream Medicine, by Harriet Hall.

Here is the first bit of the foreword, by Morgan Levy MD.
Quote:
"The word "Placebo" is a word that is frequently misunderstood. Most people think that it refers to a fake or ineffective treatment. If this were the case, then medical researchers would not need to go to such great lengths to account for it. In reality, the term placebo describes a therapeutic phenomenon that is very real and can be quite effective.

Furthermore, a lot of you hear the word placebo as an insult. If I think that you need a placebo, or that some treatment that you depend on is a placebo, then you will likely think that I am implying that you are stupid or naive.

What I’m really saying is that, “You think like a human.”

IQ and life experience are not the issues. In fact, and interestingly, individuals in America who have more education and have obtained a higher socioeconomic status are the ones most inclined to use Placebo Medicine. The real question is, "How does the human brain process information?""
My bold.

He also asks, "How can the way we think about a therapy have a therapeutic effect?"
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 29-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #112
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
"How can the way we think about a therapy have a therapeutic effect?"
Thoughts and beliefs are nerve impulses too.--Moseley and Butler in Explain Pain.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #113
Diane

Cool article I found on Facebook, on one of the pages I've subscribed to: Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

Maybe peoples' understanding of their own brains is increasing?

Here is a May/09 article by Harriet Hall on the topic of placebo.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 21-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #114
Diane

The Placebo and Nocebo Effect: How the Therapist’s Words Act on the Patient’s Brain, by Benedetti. Nice art work in here.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 22-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #115
JayCola

Ok, so after reading the latest article Diane posted a couple thoughts about placebo crossed my mind. I tried thinking them through myself, but I lack access to many scientific articles so I'm hoping you guys can help sort out my thoughts.

Some statements from the article that caught my eye...

Quote:
First of all, there is today general agreement that the endogenous opioid systems play an important role in some circumstances, and several lines of evidence indicate that placebo analgesia is mediated by a pain-modulating network which uses endogenous opioids as neuromodulators.
Quote:
it was found that the very same regions in the brain are affected by both a placebo and an opioid drug, thus indicating a related mechanism in placebo-induced and opioid-induced analgesia
Later on in the article the author talks about hidden therapies..
Quote:
telling a patient that a painkiller is being injected (actually a placebo) is as potent as 6–8 mg of morphine. An analgesic effect stronger than the placebo was only observed when the hidden morphine dose was increased to 12 mg. This suggests that an open injection of morphine in full view of the patient, which is the usual medical practice, is more effective than a hidden injection, because in the latter, the placebo component is absent
Now, in my mind, these 3 statements taken together, give me the impression that when administering an analgesic opiate in conjunction with inducing a placebo response you're basically "hijacking" the brains endogenous opioid system to just about double to affect of what a hidden opiate injection would do. So if there's no placebo, just give a larger dose.

So then my first question I can't seem to find a clear answer to is, Can the brain differentiate between the injected opiate and its own self-made opioid? I'm assuming from the 2nd quote that it can't.

My main question then has to do with Opioid Induced Hyperalgesia (Another brief explanation that I prefer is in this video, skip to the 30:30.) Now it may be a stretch, but if a single dose of opiates can sometimes increase sensitivity to pain, is it possible that a large enough placebo response could theoretically induce the same hyperalgesia? Could over utilizing the placebo response in-turn lower a patients baseline pain tolerance? And speaking of tolerance, I've read (in Snake Oil Science) that the placebo response to pain is mostly temporary (I know it depends, but on what I'm not sure). I just wonder if these temporary placebo responses aren't just a sort-of built up tolerance like one would expect with opiate induced analgesia. Or perhaps the brains opioid system eventually becomes depleted, weakening the placebo response (I know Robert Saplosky writes that this happens during Stress Induced analgesia, so I imagine it could be possible)

Obviously this is all based on my previous assumption that the brain can't and/or doesn't tell the difference of where the opioid is coming from. I also understand that there can be non-opioid mechanisms at work in placebo, but as far as I can tell it depends on the circumstance and the authors in the article seem to place a good deal of importance on the use of endogenous opioids as neuromodulators in placebo so that's what I'm basing this on.

Makes sense?

Last edited by JayCola; 22-10-2010 at 07:20 AM.
JayCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #116
Diane

Jason, I don't know if you remember this other conversation or not.

I think your questions are good ones.

Quote:
So then my first question I can't seem to find a clear answer to is, Can the brain differentiate between the injected opiate and its own self-made opioid? I'm assuming from the 2nd quote that it can't.
As far as I know it can't.
Somewhere lately I read that opioids given will fill receptors in the ACC, but that opioids endogenously induced (i.e., placebo response) fill receptors in orbitofrontal cortex and dorsolateral cortex as well.

Quote:
My main question then has to do with Opioid Induced Hyperalgesia (Another brief explanation that I prefer is in this video, skip to the 30:30.) Now it may be a stretch, but if a single dose of opiates can sometimes increase sensitivity to pain, is it possible that a large enough placebo response could theoretically induce the same hyperalgesia? Could over utilizing the placebo response in-turn lower a patients baseline pain tolerance? And speaking of tolerance, I've read (in Snake Oil Science) that the placebo response to pain is mostly temporary (I know it depends, but on what I'm not sure). I just wonder if these temporary placebo responses aren't just a sort-of built up tolerance like one would expect with opiate induced analgesia. Or perhaps the brains opioid system eventually becomes depleted, weakening the placebo response (I know Robert Saplosky writes that this happens during Stress Induced analgesia, so I imagine it could be possible)
I don't know. I remember reading Wall, who said that endogenously elicited placebo doses were exactly the right kind, strength, were dose-specific to requirements, and lasted only long enough to do the job. Something to that effect. Sounds to me that there would not be the same sort of toxic possibilities.

Quote:
Obviously this is all based on my previous assumption that the brain can't and/or doesn't tell the difference of where the opioid is coming from. I also understand that there can be non-opioid mechanisms at work in placebo, but as far as I can tell it depends on the circumstance and the authors in the article seem to place a good deal of importance on the use of endogenous opioids as neuromodulators in placebo so that's what I'm basing this on.
I think opioids are the main substance for both placeboically elicited pain relief and for administered pain relief, so far. There are endogenous endocannabinoids too. They aren't as well studied yet.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Last edited by Diane; 22-10-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 31-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #117
Diane

Hi David,
We have a welcome forum, where I would encourage you to go and start a thread about yourself, who you are, what you do. Meanwhile, welcome.
I agree with your post.

(I'd like to let you know that we discourage live links in posts, i.e., spammish-looking links, so I disabled yours while leaving enough of it visible for people to see what it is. Please take this link out of your signature line from now on, and do not post links to anything having nothing to do with the topic at hand. Thank you.)
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 31-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #118
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts

The suppose this were true thread dealt with these issues pretty well, I thought.

I'll not forget Luke making the point that though what I imagined as a rational "thing" forming the anatomical basis for a peripheral driver (the abnormal neurodynamic) might not exist as I thought it did, what I sought to do during my time with the patient could still be construed as "sufficient" and even "necessary" in many cases.

Up until that moment I had wondered why I was doing anything.
Old 31-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #119
Karen L

As always it is great to see old threads pop up but in this case davidwilsoon is a cut and paste spammer. The signature violation is deliberate and he has cobbled an intelligent comment at the expense of Cory from post #50. davidwilson and variants of that name have been sent to Thunderdome recently.

Karen
Old 27-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #120
caro
Arbiter

Default Required reading for Dr. Oz. What a thread.

What a thread.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #121
Pete

Default 'All In The Mind': Placebo, Expectation & Ritual

This programme includes an excellent examination of why placebo works.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #122
Diane

Link to discussion of the book, The Patient's Brain: the Neuroscience Behind the Doctor-Patient Relationship, by Benedetti.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #123
Diane

Link to Operator/Interactor Models of Manual Therapy, by me.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 30-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #124
JayCola

Back in post #115 I had asked a couple of questions, and since then they have still been on my mind. Sooo, I finally was able to track down Dr. Fabrizio Benedetti's email address and asked him the same type of questions. This was our exchange...

Quote:
Hello Dr. Benedetti, I am a big fan of your work. While I am not well
studied in the details of placebo, in reading your papers and other pain