Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Announcements
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Announcements Forum's news

Old 31-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
BB
Arbiter

Default A Tribute to Jon Newman

We've taken some time and space to grieve together over the loss of our friend, leader, and teacher, Jon Newman. Now, it's time to pay him tribute. John Ware has put together this excellent presentation to recognize just a few "Jon highlights." Please feel free to share any of your own favorite contributions and enjoy this little stroll to help us remember what a highlight it was just having Jon here.

My facebook page
My youtube channel Twitter

Neurotonics: a PT team blog
Somasimple on twitter
Pain and Neuroscience for Manual Physical Therapists Facebook page
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:
AdamB (03-04-2012), amacs (31-03-2012), bernard (02-04-2012), caro (01-04-2012), Chancellor Mobley (01-04-2012), Diane (01-04-2012), Frédéric (01-04-2012), Gil Haight (03-04-2012), ian s (01-04-2012), Mabo (02-04-2012), Mike Hoy (31-03-2012), nari (01-04-2012), PatrickL (01-04-2012), student (01-04-2012), zimney3pt (02-04-2012)
Old 31-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
amacs
A bear of little brain

great little presentation, wish I knew him better.

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
byronselorme

What a great presentation.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,129 Posts

I assembled the video, but I had lots of help with photos- many of which were taken by Jon, himself- and getting it posted here, particularly from Luke Rickards. So props to Luke for his tech savvy and photography skills.

ANdy, you can get a pretty good impression of who Jon was by reading some of the classic threads, sampling some of the music and poetry that he posted or just taking a gander at the more than 9 thousand comments that he made here since nearly its inception.

I never met him, but I feel as though I knew him pretty well.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Electerik

My thoughts go out to his family, his friends and to all those with whom he shared such inquisitive insight here on SS.

I always looked forward to reading his posts. All I know about Jon Newman is that his posts were always critical, thoughtful, insightful and respectful.

It's a very strange feeling to harbor a sentiment of loss over a individual I've known only through a blog, by lurking for his posts and thoughts. A little part of me can't really quite understand what happened and is still looking forward to his next post.

Even though my contributions on SS are quite "skimpy" (almost non-existent) I learned to value his input on all subjects shared here.
Electerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
caro
Arbiter

I feel the same way Erik. Thanks for that. I'll bet anything Jon would have a link pertaining to these very matters.

Thanks for the video John. Great stuff.
" Toute douleur déchire ; mais ce qui la rend intolérable, c’est que celui qui la subit se sent séparé du monde ; partagée, elle cesse au moins d’être un exil. Ce n’est pas par délectation morose, par exhibitionnisme, par provocation que souvent les écrivains relatent des expériences affreuses ou désolantes : par le truchement des mots, ils les universalisent et ils permettent aux lecteurs de connaître, au fond de leurs malheurs individuels, les consolations de la fraternité. C’est à mon avis une des tâches essentielles de la littérature et ce qui la rend irremplaçable : surmonter cette solitude qui nous est commune à tous et qui cependant nous rend étrangers les uns aux autres. ''
Simone de Beauvoir (Tout compte fait)
caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
byronselorme

Very well put Erik. Virtual grief I guess? I am surprised by how much it affected me.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,247 Times in 2,836 Posts

It's not virtual - it's real. It's astonishing how "real" virtual mental intimacy can feel. When you think of how much effort and thought goes into posting, then reading and thinking about what people write, well.. it's significant. It's a community. It has meaning. Brains neuroplasticize in response to what they read and think and write. Now someone's ongoing thought is missing. It has yet to fill back in, and maybe it never will completely.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
caro (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
byronselorme

Your right of course. Bad wording on my part. I meant something along the lines of grief regarding a virtual relationship. (virtual to indicate the internet connection being the medium)

It still is strange how that connective power presents itself. To say that someone isolates themselves from society so that they can chat online seems to miss the relationship that will still develop. Just as powerful as face to face. Jon is a complete person to me, though I never met him. I can even imagine his answers. When reading a post of his there is now so much more power in his words mixed with that tinge of loss and regret for things not said.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byronselorme For This Useful Post:
caro (03-04-2012), Diane (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #10
Michellenewman

Jon loved soma. He would spend hours trying to come up with the perfect answer. It meant so much to him that everything be just right. He sometimes said that he could kill a thread faster than anyone. I think he would be shocked by what everyone is saying. He never understood the impact he had on people. His sister said that is why he made such deep impacts. I want to thank everyone at soma for adding so much to Jon's life. The you tube video was wonderful. It made my cry. Which is not an oddity these days. My husband was a great man and missed everyday.
Michellenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Michellenewman For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (03-04-2012), Bas Asselbergs (03-04-2012), bernard (03-04-2012), byronselorme (03-04-2012), caro (03-04-2012), Diane (03-04-2012), Electerik (03-04-2012), gilbert (03-04-2012), Mabo (03-04-2012), Mike Hoy (03-04-2012), norton (03-04-2012), PatrickL (03-04-2012), zimney3pt (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,247 Times in 2,836 Posts

Maybe he didn't kill threads, maybe he landed them safely the way a pilot lands a huge plane, carefully, without crashing it.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
caro (03-04-2012), Chancellor Mobley (03-04-2012), norton (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,124 Times in 397 Posts

If he killed any threads, it was because they probably needed to be killed, and he was usually the only one that could do it in a nice way.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zimney3pt For This Useful Post:
caro (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,419 Times in 623 Posts

Jon did kill threads. His intelligent questions, related links, deep empathy, profound philosophical slant and lack of chest-thumping ego always brought matters into perspective that often pulled a heated and soaring debate down to earth - for re-examination by the participants.

At least, that is how it was for me.

Jon is my idea of a gentle giant.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bas Asselbergs For This Useful Post:
bernard (03-04-2012), caro (03-04-2012)