SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > WWW The Wild Wise World > The Rubbish Cube
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Rubbish Cube The best place to criticize what is going wrong in health systems and other subjects.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
norton

Default Why physical therapy fails.

Has anyone seen these videos? A patients son asked me about this as I was ambulating his mother. He wanted to know what I was doing to increase her spinal stability so she could walk better. She is s/p THA and is WBAT so I said we haven't addressed any global exercises since she is only one week post surgery. He suggested I google why PT fails on you tube to see what he was talking about. Well I find this video laughable. What are your thoughts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMU7g...eature=related

Thanks
Deb
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,756 Times in 3,049 Posts

Ha. I can see why you laughed!
It starts out catchy but soon is bogged down into the morass of mesodermalism.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
AdamB
SomaSimpler

Great video - for a fun evening behind the Mac... It IS laughable.

Funny how he debunks the modalities while at the same time promoting one of the most debunked modalities ever.

What a sad h.e.r.o therapist (hilarious, eagerly rambling but obnoxious).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Frédéric
Swaying against the breeze

Oh boy, that guy is full of himself. He's right about the fact that many of hte typical PT treatments are BS, but he replaces that with a similar flawed rational. He is basically guilty of the crime he complains about. One 80 alright, but still on the same road...
Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
»
Friedrich Nietzsche
www.physioaxis.ca
chroniquesdedouleur blog
Frédéric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
What a sad h.e.r.o therapist (hilarious, eagerly rambling but obnoxious).

@Fred,
Quote:
One 80 alright, but still on the same road...
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
norton (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

A smooth marketer who debunks conventional approaches (tick) and then sails off into the sunset happily embracing other mythical and mesodermal myths to his chest.

Funny, but a sad indication of where physiotherapy goes bung.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,535 Times in 458 Posts

Hey this guy is in my hood. Looked at a couple of his videos. He does Muscle Activation Technique (MAT) covered in other posts here at SS. I recognize the technique and testing positions he demonstrated elsewhere. I thought something sounded familiar about his shpeal. Probably is not disclosing it because he does not want to get sued by the creator of MAT whom is also from this area or he wanted to coin the gimmick as his own.

Eric
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
joebrence9

I bet this guy is really annoying and obnoxious. 3 visits or less? He must have a magic effect on the nervous system.

I saw this video as a recommended video to the right and watched it afterwards. I wonder what the one80 PT would say...
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,535 Times in 458 Posts

it's not MoStreBility.

This is video is almost SNL like.

This guy's memory is incredible. Go to 6:35 for a riot of a laugh.

Eric
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milehigh For This Useful Post:
AdamB (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,629 Times in 600 Posts

Wow, this would not be so sad if I did not think that he actually believes what he is saying.

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
Wow, this would not be so sad if I did not think that he actually believes what he is saying.

Respectfully,
Keith
When it comes to him alone it is regretable, it is sad when it comes to patients.

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
norton

Ok, then. No matter what reason brings you to 180 PT we will make it so you can avoid ankle sprains with our techniques. Great! Do people really believe this guy?
Sad indeed for all.
Deb
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
garydiny

Sad for the profession, sad for patients. He actually has interns that are completing their clinical rotations, being "baptized" in the crap he is spewing. She was in the stretching videos, 2-4 in the series.

Let me invent a new word/concept that is a bunch of horse manure and brand it as the next best thing.

Gary
garydiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Sheffphysio

I feel deeply uneasy when watching video's like this. Maybe because I’m not a good salesman, or even a good physio, who knows. But the "look at me I'm amazing and cure anything in 2 sessions" reminds me of chiropractors. I can also guarantee that his results will be unremarkable at best. Which makes me think, is he deluding himself? Does he self select his patients deliberately or unconsciously? Does he selectively remember only his success stories and his brain conveniently neglects the failures? Does his personality mean he genuinely does forget those it is not successful on? Or is he actually telling the truth and everyone gets better, he has THE answer.

I would love to see this sort of clinician work in different areas where the patients vary and are maybe not so motivate, self selecting…. Come to Wakefield.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,269 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
But the "look at me I'm amazing and cure anything in 2 sessions" reminds me of chiropractors. I can also guarantee that his results will be unremarkable at best. Which makes me think, is he deluding himself? Does he self select his patients deliberately or unconsciously? Does he selectively remember only his success stories and his brain conveniently neglects the failures? Does his personality mean he genuinely does forget those it is not successful on? Or is he actually telling the truth and everyone gets better, he has THE answer.
Would like to hear what happens with the patients that don't get better in 2-3 visits? Why doesn't he put them on YouTube. Do you think he sees it as his fault for not understanding the patient or the patient's fault for not relaxing, trying hard enough and getting MoStreBility enough?

I'm with you Dave, would like to send him a few of my work comp patients and wait to see how his magic works or does the curtain fall down and show the wizard was not as he seems.

I would agree great marketing, poor therapist. Some will sell their souls to the Mothership for a buck in return.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,269 Times in 427 Posts

I was thinking about my post and this PT as I worked on patients this morning. And remembering this line of thinking was me about 5 years ago. Lots of people I thought "I" got better in 2-3 visits, and those that didn't probably just weren't doing their home exercises to get their MoStreBility back to keep them aligned right.

Interesting how some reading (well okay, maybe a lot of reading compared to some), allowing cognitive dissonance to settle in and struggle through will allow one to buy back your soul from the Mothership. Know I realize "I" don't fix them, but do get to be apart of the interaction that allows them to correct themselves.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
The One80 Physical Therapy System is the opposite of everything you have tried. Unlike conventional physical therapy, chiropractic and massage therapy, we use scientific evaluation and treatment strategies that focus on restoring your ability to function. Many of the strategies are based on Muscle Activation Techniques developed by Greg Roskopf. One80’s unique approach, various thought processes and manual techniques may also be attributed to Gray Cook PT, Gary Gray PT, Dr. Lawerence Jones, Robin McKenzie PT, and Dr. Alan Beardall, to name a few.

While developing the One80 PT System, Dr. Polka experimented with the above and many other concepts. Because none were effective, Polka eliminated many techniques such as passive range of motion assessment, extreme range of motion muscle testing, and origin and insertion palpation. What remained was an evaluation based on Gray and Beardall’s work combined with a treatment based on Polka’s background. Because the One80 Physical Therapy System is all-inclusive, Dr. Polka has eliminated the use of all other techniques.

One80 is an uncommon approach to treating common injuries. Rather than focusing on pain, swelling and tightness, we target the cause of these symptoms. Because nerves control muscles, and muscles provide joint motion and stability, we focus on the nerve-muscle relationship. By eliminating the phenomenon called inhibition, we restore normal function. This allows you to quickly recover from whatever injury you may have
From the 180 website, sounds less exotic than it may have and nerves do get a mention (albeit somewhat brief).

I am loathe to criticise the guy, if he is treating a maximum of three times he is way better than me and ultimately unpalatable as it might be he is probably a more intuitive therapist than I am.

However as a resident from over the Atlantic the marketing really, really grates and I am really curious to know why 180 and not 360?

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Last edited by amacs; 05-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
ginger
sproinger

While I instinctively loathe the schpeal and apparent hucksteristic emphases he makes , I'm pleased to know that the message about tricks, modalities and other symptom chasing is spelt out well. Good for him. Keen to know how and where he targets the presumed origins of problems however. The idea olf three Rx and you're done is not a biggie, that's about my average too, with no tape modalities or machines either.
I do enjoy his direct take and the use of the word "garbage". Should do well. Power to him.
Some here seem confused about the term Mesodermalist once again, as if this can be used to defame a person and by doing so confirm membership of the other tribe ( who know best ). This guy deserves support and praise for his unwillingness to perpetuate the symptom chasing notions that have plagued and still limit the thinking of most physios. Like to have him on the forum to reveal more of his approach ( provided no joining fee required )

Geoff Fisher
Physiotherapist
ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

That was a weirdly stupid video. His absolute but so terribly inappropriate and unwarranted confidence made it painful to watch. Sad too.
Sad to see how some PTs continue to dwell on their perceptual fallacies and fantasies; it seems they just can't read and/or disseminate research and scientific materials.
Very sad.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
ginger
sproinger

I find this guy's confidence quite fascinating, he clearly believes his methods have value, well worth the effort for further enquiry I fancy. The clincher remains his take on the time wasting business of palliative treatments, particularly with the use of modalities, tape etc.. I have no doubt some here will find this message and his strident no nonsense manner quite confronting. The more so if he has struck a (guilty as charged ) chord.

Geoff Fisher
Physiotherapist
ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
Diane

I use tape, and avoid facets, and usually require only three sessions, and that is with staying as peripheral as it's possible to stay, i.e., on skin.
My confidence (which I do think is something patients pick up on and respond to) is because I trust the brain/nervous system to do what it needs to do to regulate its own stress appropriately, in the most metabolically efficient, laziest way it can.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #22
Ken Jakalski

Thanked 1,379 Times in 598 Posts

It's interesting how he's created a "wall-of-fame" in the clinic. The images of athletes in various sports whom he's restored to competitive levels when everyone else had failed them probably works well in terms of promoting an ideal atmosphere.

I agree with Ginger. I'd like to see him on the forum revealing the secrets to his approach
Ken Jakalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
Freshy

This guy really swings for the fences in his anecdotes Not only did everyone improve, but they went on to perform above and beyond all concievable expectations. I think my BS meter just overheated....
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freshy For This Useful Post:
norton (07-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
AdamB
SomaSimpler

I'd call it One80 Alpha Male Therapy...