SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion > Yet student, soon practitioner!
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Yet student, soon practitioner! Forum for students.

Old 17-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
dfbrand86

Default Conflicting Emotions

I have been a "lurker" on Soma Simple for about 3 weeks now. I have gotten the chance to read through several threads and become familiar with some of the recommended readings on pain. I find myself visiting SS multiple times a day when I have time between patients. I am currently on my 3rd clinical and was lucky enough to be introduced to SS by my CI. As a student, I am itching to progress my knowledge base. Personally, I realize that much of the information on here will take time to read through and understand. It will also require numerous re-reading of articles and threads to fully comprehend what is presented. However, I am eager to start the journey and contribute when appropriate.

Aside from all this excitement of being introduced to a dynamic, informative, thought provoking discussion I can't help but wonder if I would have every stumbled across SS or been introduced to SS if it wasn't for my CI. What my CI has introduced me to and what SS has to offer is a bit "different" from what I have learned in school. Is that why I have never heard of it? With these thoughts and feelings in mind, all I want to do is hold a class meeting to share my experience and offer the same introduction of SS to my fellow classmates that my CI gave to me.

Another thought I have is.....How I am going to turn off my new thoughts and present thoughts that my school wants to hear? (Ie. Yes, I would provide PROM to a patient who is s/p TKA with a rating of 5/10 pain to promote an increase in flex/ext ROM. and Yes, I will prescribe prone hang to the HEP.....even though I know the research supports active ROM for facilitation of gains in ROM and has limited evidence supporting PROM.) What about when I take the board exam?

Overall, I am very thankful for my education and the skills I have aquired over the first two years of DPT school. I am even more thankful that I was introduced to the information on here. I now have access to both "trains of thought" and can sift through, comprehend/analyze, and challenge when necessary.
dfbrand86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,269 Times in 427 Posts

dfbrand86, Welcome to SS.

Quote:
With these thoughts and feelings in mind, all I want to do is hold a class meeting to share my experience and offer the same introduction of SS to my fellow classmates that my CI gave to me.
That would be great, but realize that because of the cognitive dissonance this creates with many they may not want to do what you stated you are doing:
Quote:
I am itching to progress my knowledge base. Personally, I realize that much of the information on here will take time to read through and understand. It will also require numerous re-reading of articles and threads to fully comprehend what is presented. However, I am eager to start the journey and contribute when appropriate.
Hold on to that itch and keep scratching as some in the profession just choose to ignore it.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,760 Times in 3,050 Posts

Hi dfbrand86, welcome to SS. A first name would be ever so nice.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
dfbrand86

Default reply

Kory,

You are very right. My hopes are that out of 47 students in my class at least some of them will find SS as enlightening as I did.

Diane,

Sorry I should have signed my name. I introduced myself a couple weeks ago on the welcome thread. My name is Danielle Brand and I am a 3rd year PT student. My current CI Stephanie Mikoliczak introduced me to SS.

-Danielle
Old 17-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,760 Times in 3,050 Posts

Ah, hi Danielle! Thanks for clearing that up.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
smikolic

Danielle,

Keep that cognative dissonance. Shoot, learn to embrace it and revel in the excitement of that twisted feeling in your guts!!

That is the itch....and it's a brilliant process watching your ideas unravel and reform as you come to understand something a little bit deeper with every new look.

And great job sticking your nose out here girl!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin
smikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

Hi Danielle!
Yes, the burden of your new-found awareness and knowledge is that you have to keep two goals in sharp focus: passing the boards and being the most informed PT you can be. These can overlap, but alas, very rarely.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
dfbrand86

Default reply

Steph,

Thank you for all your encouragement, guidance, and williness to give me chances to succeed and struggle.

Danielle
Old 17-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
smikolic

awe.....ANY time.

It's my passion!

Glad to meet you and have the opportunity to guide you a bit. Hope to maintain contact as you continue to develop, personally and professionally.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin
Old 17-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
dfbrand86

Bas Asselbergs,

You captured how I feel perfectly. Thank you for the input and I am glad to know that this feeling is a rarity.

Danielle
Old 23-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
dfbrand86

Default a good experience

I am happy to report that after discussion with my peers about Soma and how it has positively impacted my PT education, as well as, made for great nights of reading, I have some peers that are very interested in becomeing a member. Keep your eyes open for new student physical therapy members of Soma from WI!
Old 23-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
smikolic

Whoo HOOO!!!

Go Dani!

Old 24-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

It sounds like you're becoming less conflicted. Where in WI are you?
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #14
dfbrand86

I am in the Milwaukee area. I graduate next month so things are crazy but I have shared positive feeling towards Soma with many of my classmates. We are looking forward for things to calm down so we have more time to read and post!
Old 16-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 3,351 Times in 1,300 Posts

Welcome, Danielle. Sorry I missed your original introduction.

Someday you'll realize just how far ahead of the curve you are, and you can thank Stephanie for that.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote