SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
AdamB
SomaSimpler

Default A Challenge: A definition of pain.

One of the NOI faculty members, Morten Hoegh, wrote this on his Danish blog at the beginning of NOI 2012:

Quote:
A challenge:
Can you come up with a definition on pain that live up to these requirements:
1. You must not be able to replace "pain" with "fear" or "anxiety" in the definition.
2. The definition must make sense even if you put "phantom pain" instead of "pain".
3. It can't be identical to already public definitions.

You could include the following ideas:
  • pain is (as opposed to other feelings) localised in the body
  • Pain relates to reliable information about survival (e.g. if you experience that you are in danger of injury)
  • Pain motivates behaviour change
I wrote some suggestions to him, but almost every one of the suggestions was more descriptive of than defining pain as opposed to for example "fear" or "anxiety".

What is your take on this?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts

Quote:
What is your take on this?
It probably isn't a waste of time for everybody, but I'm not going to put any time into it.

Toward what end?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
joebrence9

Pain: a neuroimmunological sensory experience caused by a cortical decision to protect tissues based upon multiple variables including but not limited to those which are related to biological, psychological and social threats.
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joebrence9 For This Useful Post:
AdamB (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,587 Times in 687 Posts

Nice one Joe. I probably would take out "sensory". The experience is more than that and the word appears to introduce that peripheral system.
Then I would not use "tissues" but rather "the living being".

Otherwise - excellent and I couldn't have come with it. Thanks for letting me ride along.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,585 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrence9 View Post
Pain: a neuroimmunological sensory experience caused by a cortical decision to protect tissues based upon multiple variables including but not limited to those which are related to biological, psychological and social threats.

WAAYYYY better than anything that was bouncing around my head. My only issue was with "tissues" (as the brain can try to "protect" tissues that may not actually exist), but Bas makes a nice suggestion.

Respectfully Impressed,
Keith
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
AdamB
SomaSimpler

@Barrett: I certainly wouldn't want to waste your time. Your choice.

Great suggestion, Joe. Thank you so much.

I think the question is interesting from a phenomenological/philosophical perspective.

I think that in general we can agree that pain and anxiety are two different "things" (experiences).
The problem comes regarding where they differ.

Allow me to pick apart your definition with all due respect, Joe.

"neuroimmunological" - anxiety could also fit into that category
"sensory" - ditto
"experience" - ditto
"cortical decision" - ditto
"protect" - ditto
"tissues" (/body/organism) - ditto
"multiple variables" - ditto
"biological" - ditto
"psychological" - ditto
"sociological" - ditto
"threats" - ditto

So I am baffled with where these two experiences differ.

If we try to define pain in physiological terms it probably doesn't differ much from the experience of anxiety.

Anxiety is also an experience, is due to cortical processes where various factors can trigger the response, it can also be a sensation described in physical or psychological terms and is a part of the biological stress response to protect the organism.

To be clear a definition is a passage that explains the meaning of a term so that it in a sense can be distinguished from other "terms".

I can se the problem with a lot of people who can readily say to a person in pain - "it is all in your head". Is science at the moment able to come up with a definition that makes sure that pain differs from other "unpleasant experiences"?

I don't have the answer, but I find the question interesting.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

The purpose of Morten's exercise is to point out that: we can`t isolate pain from fear or anxiety.
Quote:
pain is (as opposed to other feelings) localised in the body
Pain relates to reliable information about survival (e.g. if you experience that you are in danger of injury)
Pain motivates behaviour change
These suggestions are indicators that this is an exercise to demonstrate what pain ISN`T.

At least that is what I get out of this. Looks like a neat way to make those unfamiliar with the neuromatrix or modern pain sciences (no one here) to discover through study and thinking, that pain is what it really is (see Joe`s definition).

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bas Asselbergs For This Useful Post:
AdamB (08-05-2012), Barrett Dorko (08-05-2012), Mabo (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Randy Dixon

I think if we differentiate pain from experiences like emotional pain (sadness, grief, loss, etc) then the elements of fear and pain are similar. Complex, unpleasant, subjective. What is different is that pain is perceived as a physical stimulus and the unpleasant sensation is associated with tissue damage, nociception or a noxious stimulus. I'm not sure which of those is most accurate. Of course, it is only the perception of these physical factors, but the perception is one that is physical.

So perhaps if we take the definition of fear and add "with the unpleasant sensation being perceived as if manifested physically" or "with the perception of (tissue damage, nociception, noxious stimulus) being present".
Randy Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts

When did we start to ignore any mention of the effect of movement?

If I'm feeling fear moving some body part isn't going to change that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
AdamB (14-02-2013)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,232 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:

I might only add neuroendocrine with neuroimmunological.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

For some old and new thoughts on this issue, look at Bronnie's blog:
http://healthskills.wordpress.com/20...sciency-stuff/

The Following User Says Thank You to Bas Asselbergs For This Useful Post:
AdamB (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
joebrence9

Revised based upon great suggestions...

Pain: a neuroimmunological experience caused by a cortical decision to protect the body based upon multiple variables including but not limited to those which are related to biological, psychological and social threats.
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
gollygosh
Geralyn Giuffrida PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
When did we start to ignore any mention of the effect of movement?

If I'm feeling fear moving some body part isn't going to change that.
As I understand it, the pain of a burn, or cancer would not be effected by motion. If my understanding is correct, then the effect of movement would not apply to the definition of pain.

Geralyn
gollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,977 Posts

Quote:
Revised based upon great suggestions...

Pain: a neuroimmunological experience caused by a cortical decision to protect the body based upon multiple variables including but not limited to those which are related to biological, psychological and social threats.
Hi Joe,
After thinking about this for awhile, I would replace the word "cortical" with something else.
Todd Hargrove suggests "prerational", while in the past, I've used the term "critter brain".

I think the term "cortical" (as a descriptor) should be reserved for the more rostral parts of brain that can disengage, reflect, and strategize a solution, and also capable of inhibiting the dorsomedial thalamus directly. This boils down to the late-to-arrive-on-the-scene, both evolutionarily and developmentally, dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, the only part that could possibly be considered as "rational" - everything else, pretty much, varying by shades and degrees, being pretty much categorizable as "pre" rational.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (09-05-2012), Mabo (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Marc
Effer

"Pain is an unpleasant, individual, multifactorial, conscient experience, felt somewhere in the body and which serves to protect this part of the body."

This definition has been given by Lorimer Moseley in Paris last week-end.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc For This Useful Post:
zoolima (10-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Gil Haight

What is wrong with the definition from the IASP?
Gil

sorry, I just saw the part about not using existing definitions. I'm with Barrett. What is the sense of this exercise if it has already been done.

Last edited by Gil Haight; 09-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Gil Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
AdamB
SomaSimpler

Well, wouldn't you say there is a difference between pain and fear/anxiety, Gil?

What then, is that difference in physiological or phenomenological terms?
I still think that that is the purpose of Mortens "challenge". I don't think he has an answer, but I can see the relevance from a philosophical perspective.

A relevant issue in the clinic is trying to understand why the patient is in pain.
When the patient informs us of his pain it would be relevant to "break down" the experience into clinical relevant patterns that guides the treatment/handling/care/management.
That is why a definition of pain should include categories that are exclusive to pain and not to fear/anxiety, anger or love.
After all most would probably argue that there is a difference in how we treat pain and how we treat fear/anxiety (- although the difference probably isn't always that big according to the role of the limbic system and other "critter"-elements.)

Respectfully
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Gil Haight

Adam,
Thoughtful points and they remind me of our exchange recently on the output=defense thread. Anxiety/ fear are obviously on the L hand side of the NM as is nociception. Care is not restricted to correcting this side only.

"A relevant issue in the clinic is trying to understand why the patient is in pain."

Certainly, this can be true, but all care is not limited to this view. If output is seen as corrective why would we want to get rid of it? This was my point on the defense topic. It has been my experience that if patients experience a way of moving which relieves pain they will also experience a reduction in anxiety. By anxiety I mean the lack of choice. If patients were unaware of the way to move to relieve their pain and with a certain kind of handling experienced this "analgesic movement", then we could quite easily "kill two birds with one stone".
Gil

Last edited by Gil Haight; 10-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Gil Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gil Haight For This Useful Post:
AdamB (14-02-2013)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,977 Posts

I see it as a useful exercise. It gives people a chance to be inventive, start to actually think about what it all means. Once they see the definition arrived at by IASP is actually pretty good given the current state of knowledge, and is still capable of further evolution depending on what is discovered next, they may invest in it much more, because it has now become a neurotag they can accept. They've learned to "do by doing." They can see the official definition is more verb than noun.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,532 Times in 457 Posts

I really like that definition and the resulting conversation. Perhaps I focus more on the communicative aspect of pain aka Wittgenstein.

Pain is word which is used to communicate an unpleasant, threatening or potentially threatening experience. The sensory stimulus (input) responsible for such an experience are multimodal and multivariate. The behavioral, neurological, immunological and biological response (output) to this experience is multivariate. The processing between (input) and (output) is unique to each individual's genetics, neural architecture and priori of previous experiences.
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote