SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 25-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts
Default Creative Confidence

My friend Joe Putos (featured here) sent me a link to a great TED lecture (just 11 minutes long) by a man who began his life just a few minutes from where I work, in Barberton Ohio.

David Kelly is a designer that has focused his career on implements that merge seamlessly with their users; us.

What he says about staying with an effort beyond the time normally devoted to it strikes me as especially relevant. Many years ago I started landing with my hands on another and then stayed there long after other therapists would let go. I remained because I sensed a change in the patient that couldn’t be seen but was evident to us both. After, for example, three minutes of this, another, probably visible movement, would emerge, and then another. Had I let go beforehand I don’t think this would have happened. Of course, I can’t be sure.

To me, as for my fellow Ohioan, creativity requires endurance. In my business, it is the creativity of the patient I seek, and when I hang on long enough it just might emerge.

How long do you stay where you land?

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 25-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I'm still wondering.
Old 26-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
amacs
A bear of little brain

It varies Barrett. I find I spend much longer now that I have in the past but I think I lack the skill an sensitivity you or many of the others here display. I realise that will/may come with time but there in lies the rub perhaps. I do continue to have many questions about eliciting ideomotion, I rarely see it at least as a result of any of my activity or therapeutic input.

Regards
Andy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
ian s

Default thanks ...

Excellent talk Barrett , thanks for posting . I enjoyed the observations regarding the treatment for phobia and the graded exposure which is readily appropriated into understanding any defensive behaviour . I thought that the engineers interest in the human element of design was fantastic in the application of practical procedures in scanning patients ...the transformation of a task into an imaginative journey ....Imagine the effect of treatments in many areas of medicine if there were more of this thinking ?

As far as your question ...rapid changes in physiology occur when a person is on side and less defensive . Calm contact / input may be a part of the process but understanding in my opinion is critical . A patient I saw the other day --cold hands and feet (even in our mini shift from a Scottish to Spanish climate) was told she had T4 syndrome and had seen the chiro twice weekly . One session with pain education , explanation of arousal/sleep disturbance , a quick look at the explain pain book on 'posture' , a few tears a word with the GP to give her the chance of one week off and next visit back to normal . A shift towards an interactive communicative process and threat is massively reduced ......
http://giffordlectureseries2012.eventbrite.com/?ebtv=C
By the way will feed back on this event which I was lucky enough to get a ticket for!
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian s For This Useful Post:
Diane (26-05-2012)
Old 26-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanks for this Ian.

Can't wait to hear what Gifford has to say.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
ian s

Default ramachandran

Its the Gifford lectures http://www.giffordlectures.org/news.asp#item07 but its Ramachandran talking!
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote