SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #151
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,002 Times in 1,708 Posts

Earl,

No one would argue that we're especially good at learning in early childhood, but I see this observation being used as a justification for the shenanigans often foisted upon clinicians and patients by an unscrupulous instructor. I imagine you know to whom I am referring.

Such an extrapolation places the therapists here in the role of counselor; and one who spends a lot of time delving deeply into a client's psyche at that. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not something I'm trained, educated or licensed to do.

One can only speculate about such things. Knowing where problems come from is an interesting journey toward the discovery of cause, and the world simply doesn't have a causal nature.

I don't feel it's my business to figure out how people came to be or feel the way that they do, but only my business to investigate how they currently are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Milehigh (02-07-2012)
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #152
oconor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
The hippocampus is a brain structure that is thought to be an association making machine.

What seems to be clear is that the hippocampus is designed to make connections to many brain areas creating associations.

This mechanism allows a memory to be created with associations of for example the sight, smell, sound, feel, emotion, temperature, etc. of a single object. All of which are mapped and percieved in different parts of the brain.

So, thinking back to the idea of pain as a threat. Your brain has a mechanism in place that is designed to make lots of associations so that it can better recognize the next time it encounters a threat. It is so good in fact that it is thought that phobias might be a result. Some fears are evidently innate. Humans for example might have a natural fear of snakes, or at least objects that slither on the ground. If a snake is witnessed in a forest on a rainy day. The next time you are in a forest on a rainy day you might feel a bit uneasy and not realize why. These associations can continue to build onto one another until fear becomes associated with illogical objects such as open spaces. Pain is the same way. It can become associated with more and more movements and scenarios.
I've been making my way through this thread very slowly, but I wanted to comment on this section because it corresponds with what I've learned from reading one of the works of Temple Grandin.

She's a doctor of animal science and explains in one of her books how one of the challenges of training animals is to reproduce the desired behaviors outside of the circumstances they were learned in. For example, when a dog goes to a obedience class it may perform all the requests asked of it, but once it is home, it will have no clue what you want.

It would seem to me that the more novel or stimulating the setting, the more precedence it may have in recalling the association between the stimulus (Sit!) and the reaction (the dog sits) and the outcome (here's a tasty doggie treat, bud).

My friend has a dog that's been conditioned to react aggressively to people wearing hats. It'll be friendly toward you, but as soon as you put a hat on you are an imminent threat. Funny, how specific it can be and how it can override all contraindications that this particular person is not a threat, as there is no other past or present evidence to support that.

Last edited by oconor; 14-08-2014 at 02:29 AM.
oconor is offline   Reply With Quote