SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > The Performance Lab
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Performance Lab A place to discuss the role of physical exercise on health in diseased and non-diseased states.

Old 18-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
ian s

Default fitness resource

http://www.fitbehavior.org/wp-conten...ted/index.html

not sure if this is open source . I think it is . I think it has some great information and 'narrative resources' .........
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ian s For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (18-07-2012), Diane (18-07-2012), Mabo (18-07-2012), Mark Hollis (18-07-2012), nari (18-07-2012), zimney3pt (18-07-2012)
Old 24-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
ian s

Default designed to move...

http://www.designedtomove.org/
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian s For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (25-09-2012)
Old 24-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,122 Times in 395 Posts

ian, thanks for the bump and additional link. Great timing, love this site for stuff like this.

I have a talk coming up in a few weeks at a community fitness center, some good resource info here.

Also I'm asking for some help, need a memory refresher on some brain studies. If I recall correctly there has been some study looking at (I think it was cats) and lack of brain development when certain stimulation was withheld at critical time of development. Anyone remember specifics? I want to use that as some reason why we need to be active and stimulate our brains with movement and not just video games and TV. Thanks ahead for any help that can be provided.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,220 Times in 2,821 Posts

I think that was visual information, and it made the cats not able to see vertical structures, or else horizontal ones. I forget which.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimney3pt View Post
ian, thanks for the bump and additional link. Great timing, love this site for stuff like this.

I have a talk coming up in a few weeks at a community fitness center, some good resource info here.

Also I'm asking for some help, need a memory refresher on some brain studies. If I recall correctly there has been some study looking at (I think it was cats) and lack of brain development when certain stimulation was withheld at critical time of development. Anyone remember specifics? I want to use that as some reason why we need to be active and stimulate our brains with movement and not just video games and TV. Thanks ahead for any help that can be provided.
Hi Kory,
If you can put your hand on Rosenbaum's Motor Control he has a chapter that covers the cat work. As I recall the absence of vertical or horizontal in the contained environment leads to the inability to "see" these features subsequently. Kittens deprived of horizontal references lose the reach reflex. However much of that stuff wad conducted in the seventies and I don't think there was any follow up.over long term to assess plastic effects or wether the impact could be reversed. I am not sure given subsequent revelations about elasticity in human in terms of sight/perception etc that the research can stand.

Regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Last edited by amacs; 25-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,122 Times in 395 Posts

Thanks ANdy

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
amacs
A bear of little brain

References for development of visual guidance include work by

Held 1965 Plasticity in sensory-motor systems
Hein 1974 Prerequisite for development of visual guided reaching in the kitten
Held and Bauer 1967 Visually guided reaching in infant monkeys after restricted rearing

see also

Sadr and Sinha 2001 Exploring object perception
Ostrosvsky adn Sinha 2005 Object binding through motion

any work by P. Sinha which almost always refers to visual development in children.

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote