SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 15-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Nick
Arbiter

Default Healing Crisis

Excuse the ranting, but I need my daily dose of querencia. I actually have a few minutes to myself, so I am trying to get some of my recent thoughts out of my head.

More nonsense.

A patient yesterday was telling me about homeopathic intervention and the need to experience a "healing crisis" in order for the body to express itself. For example, stopping suppressive meds like cortisone, beginning homeopathic meds, and allowing the body to get sick in order to get better. In other words, the same thing that would happen without the homeopathic medicine.

Anyway, the notion made me think about pain (seems like everything makes me think about pain) and how people get stuck in avoidance. Maybe what they need is a healing crisis. Stop suppressing, move through the pain by expressing what the body wants.

To be clear, I don't, in any way, want to equate ideomotion with the magical thinking of homeopathy. What I am saying is that homeopathy is really doing nothing (and letting the immune system do what it can - perhaps with the added power of placebo). Likewise, if given the opportunity, the nervous system can do a fine job of sorting out pain on its own. Our job is to give it the opportunity - without becoming like homeopaths.

Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts

Until his sudden death about 10 years ago, a homeopathic M.D. was my best referral source. John always said that my care "made good homeopathic sense," which made me cringe but I tried not to show that. The woman who took over his practice (another homeopathic M.D.) immediately insisted all contact with me be stopped by all her patients and the office staff, several of whom had been patents. She then hired a massage therapist in order to make some more money.

So that was nice.

This "healing crisis" mirrors what Vulcans must do when recovering from illness, according to Star Trek - The Original Series. Just so you know.

I hope this post adds something but I have my doubts.
Old 15-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,751 Times in 3,046 Posts

The term "healing crisis" stems way back (as do all mesodermal treatment concepts) at least a hundred years ago to pre-antibiotic days, when people either fought off their pneumonia etc. with a fever, or succumbed. It's a pretty meaningless concept these days IMO, especially for any sort of "chronic" condition.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
gary s
SomaSimpler

Barrett,
Like it or not, SC does make good homeopathic sense. The two main tenets are "like cures like" and "minimal doseage". Think about it.
gary s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
bobmfrptx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Excuse the ranting, but I need my daily dose of querencia. I actually have a few minutes to myself, so I am trying to get some of my recent thoughts out of my head.

More nonsense.

A patient yesterday was telling me about homeopathic intervention and the need to experience a "healing crisis" in order for the body to express itself. For example, stopping suppressive meds like cortisone, beginning homeopathic meds, and allowing the body to get sick in order to get better. In other words, the same thing that would happen without the homeopathic medicine.

Anyway, the notion made me think about pain (seems like everything makes me think about pain) and how people get stuck in avoidance. Maybe what they need is a healing crisis. Stop suppressing, move through the pain by expressing what the body wants.

To be clear, I don't, in any way, want to equate ideomotion with the magical thinking of homeopathy. What I am saying is that homeopathy is really doing nothing (and letting the immune system do what it can - perhaps with the added power of placebo). Likewise, if given the opportunity, the nervous system can do a fine job of sorting out pain on its own. Our job is to give it the opportunity - without becoming like homeopaths.

Nick
just read this Nick because JFBMFR espouses recognizes "healing crisis" as a way to do just what you have stated above.."

"Anyway, the notion made me think about pain (seems like everything makes me think about pain) and how people get stuck in avoidance. Maybe what they need is a healing crisis. Stop suppressing, move through the pain by expressing what the body wants."

So you once believed going into your pain is perhaps a good thing!
I prefer the term "healing opportunity" seem more positive and less scary. And yes it works with the right clients. Just an observation.
bob
bobmfrptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Diane

I invented a word lately:

Dopameme: Noun; Combination of the name of a neurotransmitter in the brain involved in feeling pleasure, "dopamine", and the term "meme" as coined by Richard Dawkins meaning a thought virus.

A "Dopameme" is a feel-good idea which:

1. forms part of a belief system (e.g., "new age" notions or pseudo/antiscience)
2. keeps people from learning to see the world rationally
3. stubbornly persists through generations, because the emotional comfort or pleasure it provides the person who harbours it ensures it will be replicated frequently in that individual's brain and easily passed on to others via social and conversational contact
4. gets recycled endlessly through books sold at spiritual and self-help bookstores, thus helping support the economy, thus further ensuring its continued survival

Dopamemes can be found in any walk of life but find particularly fertile ground in the helping professions, if fact are actively cultivated by many of them which appear base their whole existence around farming them for profit.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 25-03-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
bobmfrptx

What does that got to do with feeling your pain to heal it....brain changes with attention to pain which does no harm seems to have merits....what is the accepted method today Diane?
Old 25-03-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Diane

Quote:
what is the accepted method today Diane?
Glad you asked bob - interaction with patients, either manually or non-manually, that is unencumbered by dopamemes. That would be a start I think.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 25-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
bobmfrptx

So, what in Nick's post would be the dopameme?
Old 25-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

Homeopathy.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
bobmfrptx

Quote:
Anyway, the notion made me think about pain (seems like everything makes me think about pain) and how people get stuck in avoidance. Maybe what they need is a healing crisis. Stop suppressing, move through the pain by expressing what the body wants
Again the subject has changed.....Thats the way it is with your group of debaters...
anyway I asked about the above passage........
Bob

Last edited by bobmfrptx; 25-03-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: nonconscious typing
Old 25-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

Bob, I just answered your question in post #9. That's all. Not changing any subject.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Nick
Arbiter

Bob, you said that I once believed. What makes you think that I do not still believe this? Not that anything has to do with what I believe.
Old 25-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
bobmfrptx

Post was from 2006, hence once upon a time.... I have no idea your beliefs today...with the brain change posts I was curious. Increased awareness of pain does lead to increased opportunity for the conscious (education) and nonconscious (neurology) to make changes. I've been facilitationg this for years.
Bob