SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 18-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Default The immaterial

I heard about The Knick on a couple of podcasts and decided to watch it. I thought that there was something in this depiction of medicine’s advance in the year 1900 waiting for me to see.

Quote:
The next great fortunes will be a result of the immaterial, the unseen, buzzing all around us like electricity, and X-rays.

A statement made by a wealthy man to the sleazy hospital administrator.
I’ve been thinking a lot about how the invisibility of a complaint drives many to speculate, guess, violate physical law and make stuff up.

Pain is many things, but, it’s also invisible.
Old 18-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Nick Efthimiou

I know of people that have recently gone through surgery for cancer, and people have said to them afterwards, "you look well".
Nick Efthimiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Perhaps this is the root of physical therapy's problem with senseless treatment - the invisible.

Many of the things we are expected to change with our methods can't be seen so we assign those findings we can see and measure all sorts of consequences we've since found have no relation to the problem. Abdominal muscle weakness and back pain, for instance.

Calling our findings objective and adhering to the now discredited biomedical model has not helped. Remember, the vast majority of therapists actually treating patients read nothing.

This has resulted in a century of lagging behind the scientific and counter cultural discoveries of medicine.

Is it possible that such a thing has occurred?
Old 18-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Nick,

I think this thread addresses your comment.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
jazzyg

I have been listening avidly to Ginger Campbell's brain science podcasts.
Some of them have revolutionised my thought. Jaak Panksepp is my new hero plus great talks on meditation,glial cells,the science of exercise,disgust,sleep and the evolution of the synapse. They are delivered by great minds who are surprised and pleased that someone is interested in their thoughts( and trying to sell their latest book).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jazzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Hi jazzyq,
Please start a thread in the welcome forum to introduce yourself. A first name would be nice too.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
jazzyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
I have been listening avidly to Ginger Campbell's brain science podcasts.
Some of them have revolutionised my thought. Jaak Panksepp is my new hero plus great talks on meditation,glial cells,the science of exercise,disgust,sleep and the evolution of the synapse. They are delivered by great minds who are surprised and pleased that someone is interested in their thoughts( and trying to sell their latest book).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes major influence on me also.Loved Panksepp as well, Bud Craig, the one on Brain Rhythms, neural reuse, Ratey and meditation.
Not forgetting all the Embodied Cognition talks.What a resource.I regularly direct questions at researchers and 9/10 reply.Jaak Panksepp wrote me a lovely long reply, he was excited that a physical therapist found his work useful.
Although I believe Richard Davidson's and Tania Singers work on emotion is more pertinent,Panksepp had been delving into deep brain emotional underpinnings long before it became so trendy.
I try to get every friend to listen to them. I do hope she continues for another few years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
jazzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
mgallagh

I might take this one step further, and since I'm working nights this month, I can say firmly another thing worth examining when we talk about pain is actual material conditions, not just material things within the body we can prove contribute to pain. We talk a lot here about how people's dissatisfying jobs and home lives can drive them toward somatization. One of the big studies on surgical resident work hours noted while 16-hour days vs 30-hour didn't change burnout rates, the residents working 30-hour shifts had more neck and back pain. Big surprise. These are material conditions too, at least in the philosophical sense if not the scientific.
mgallagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallagh View Post
These are material conditions too, at least in the philosophical sense if not the scientific.
I think they would fit just fine into the science-based psychosocial /stress regulation aspects of a biopsychosocial model of pain.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote