SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 28-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Default Return to the past

I am continually amazed at the profession of therapy's obsession with past ways of thinking. I'm also impressed with the number of things I've written of that have had little effect. They used to generate more discussion too.

Oh well.

Today I watched Colbert on YouTube carry on about Paltrow's "stickers" and their power to "help" others. I'm reminded of what I've said about the power of celebrity and advertising and overplaying our hand in the past. There's always the chance that some satirist will make a parody about what you've said. It is the nature of invention and creativity.

Some discussion would help.
Old 28-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Quote:
Is there a fly in here?
This is what I say when my grandsons punch me. It is because they're so small and I'm so big. When they grow enough to actually hurt me, I'm assuming that they will know better. I say of my son that I can still "kick his ass," though he is an Army Ranger and taller than me. Somehow he knows not to hit me. Fortunately, he learned quickly.

The profession is not related to me, and I'm a fly.
Old 28-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

The best thing ever said by Andy Griffith:

Quote:
There never such a thing as Mayberry.
The actor refused to even visit the "town" created before the show caught on.

Many think we actually existed this way.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 29-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

There's something about simpler that is attractive but simplicity lies on the far side of complexity.

I don't think that I'm saying that originally - but I wish I had.
Old 29-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #5
Benno

Quote:
The profession is not related to me, and I'm a fly.
Maybe use your teeth for better nociceptive input. Dressing up in brighter colours like a wasp might also add to perceived threat.

More attention is usually paid then.
Old 29-06-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Benno

On a more serious note, I suppose this represents the difficulty of change. It takes a long time if at all.

The sheer number of people who follow an outdated model, makes it's size difficult. If you add those of other professions as well, it makes for a larger family.

The common housefly only lives for 15 to 30 days. Maybe this represents the burnout due to frustration of practitioners looking to make change.

But then, I wouldn't see you as a common housefly.

Quote:
There's something about simpler that is attractive but simplicity lies on the far side of complexity.
Do you think that some practitioners are afraid of simplicity? Do they see it as devaluing there skills or abilities, or that they are less important because of it?

Complicated process do look more impressive from the outside...
Old 29-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Ben,

I'm uncommon in that I write, I must admit. Today, this is a trail that doesn't disappear. It's hard only seeing me to know what I've read or what I'm thinking. Being human (can't seem to escape that), I've certain confirmation biases that are inescapable. It's difficult to tell what they are by only looking at me.

I was struck when teaching how many of my colleagues were thoughtless and how many were thoughtful. This had very little to do with the way they looked, though I wasn't able to separate all that from the acting they did. After all, I acted too. Don't we all?

You're right, change takes time. Sometimes it's generational. The generation of physical therapists coming is represented by Facebook, and, to me, it's not promising. I need to remember that I'm a curmudgeon. That helps.

I often refer to "the medieval mind" when speaking of the way therapists ask for protocols of method and have abandoned defense and discussion. The abandonment of scientific advance and method has caught me off guard.
Old 29-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Benno

I don't consider myself a curmudgeon, at least not yet, but I would agree with you.

I am not far ahead of that generation. Actually, Who am I kidding, I am part of that generation. I look at these forums and I am inspired to learn, then I see what comes through social media at what comes up from therapists of my generation,, and I wonder why. It seems that the development and promotion of other methods outstrips the dissemination of knowledge in places like this.

But I'm sure you already see this.

Your last point is something I see regularly and a particular frustration of mine. The search for techniques. No knowledge, texhniques. Over the years, I've heard so many therapists discussing their excitement at the latest and greatest course they are attending. I also hear them come back from some of these courses underwhelmed, because it didn't tell them how to treat people.

They didn't get any techniques.

Rather than searching for knowledge and understanding from these educational opportunities in order to form their own opinions. Constantly searching for the next key to unlocking the ability to treat patients. Or their next promotion (feeling that a higher title automatically gives them more experience) but that's another issue.

So yes, I agree, I don't think it looks promising. I have many potential years left in this profession, so the road looks long.

I'm usually not one for confrontation, but I think I am becoming more honest in my opinions when speaking with others.

We'll see how that works out.
Old 29-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Ben,

It won't work out well, unless you're kinder and a better actor than I am. This isn't hard, by the way. You're already a curmudgeon.

That's a compliment, coming from me.

Maybe you're already dead.

Another compliment.

I'd look up Julia Galef.
Old 29-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
advantage1

Quote:
The abandonment of scientific advance and method has caught me off guard.
Having the leader of a powerful nation constantly cry "fake news" and state "global warming is a hoax created by the Chinese" can't help.
Old 30-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #11
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Rob,

That's the world we live in.

Ben,

I sometimes forget that you live in Australia. You read my posts at a different time, but I forget what year it is there (rim shot!).
Old 30-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Benno

Quote:
I sometimes forget that you live in Australia. You read my posts at a different time, but I forget what year it is there (rim shot!).
I am on an island with very strict custom control, so your posts probably spend a fair bit of time in quarantine before they reach me.

Having said that, the way your new commander-in-chief is sending you back in time, you'll be with us soon.
Old 30-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Ben,

Hey, he's our Commander, and we've got bombers at the ready, so watch it!

So, Australia is an island, huh? Kinda like Puerto Rico or Cuba?

In any case, the Internet crosses all sorts of borders without quarantine and even my ideas cross without any modification. Ignoring them seems an commonly chosen option. Some therapists have never even heard of me! (gasp) But sometimes even an [S]fly[/S] unimportant person like you pay attention to them.

Unless you're the King of Australia.
Old 30-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #14
gilbert

Hey Barrett, they don't have a king, but they do have the Queen.
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote