SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
amacs
A bear of little brain

Default Fascia again

I came across the above here. I thought Schliep was quite reserved and willing to consider alternative explanations although not maybe all the obvious ones.

1. Do you propose that a typical 'tissue release' (which is often experienced by practitioners in response to their myofascial release treatment techniques, such as in osteopathy or in Rolfing Structural integration) is due to a decrease of active fascial contraction?
Since we haven't been able to observe any tissue contracton or relaxation changes happening within seconds in our own in vitro contraction experiments, we tend to doubt such an explanatory model. While the potential forces of active fascial contractitlity could be strong enough - based on our measurements and related hypothetical calculations - to result in palpable tissue changes, it seems like the common duration of individual treatment techniques of below 2 minutes would be too short for such a tissue response. Yet we cannot rule out the opposite, as our organ bath experiments may not be reflecting the complete spectrum of fascial contractility in vitro.
Several other body processes appear as more appealing explanations to us:
  • Changes in matrix hydration, induced by the technique
  • Possibly changes in resting tone (Gamma tone?) of skeletal muscle fibers which are capable of transmitting their tension force to the respective fascial tissue
  • Ideomotor dynamics (Carpenter effect): Associated with an unconsconscious expentency bias in the practitioner, the palpating hand/body of the practitoner may change their resting tone in an involuntary and subtle manner, thereby creating a palpatory illusion.

I thought Barrett you would find the last point of passing interest given its provenance,
regards
ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,525 Posts

ANdy,

Thanks for this. I do find it fascinating.

He's suggesting that the therapist is imagining an effect? That it's their own hand muscles relaxing and not the patient?

I think this explanation is absurd and it doesn't say much for Schleip's understanding of instinctive, sequential response to painful signals. If he doesn't like this idea he needs to argue with Patrick Wall, though it is too late for that.

I'd like to have him explain what he meant when he said (paraphrased), "When I handle another I feel as if I'm communicating with the nervous system and it is communicating with me."

That's at the end of a Ginger Campbell interview with him. Maybe someone here can find it.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
EvolvePerformance

Found some of Schlep's work:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schleip.jpg.pdf (89.6 KB, 8 views)
EvolvePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
He's suggesting that the therapist is imagining an effect? That it's their own hand muscles relaxing and not the patient?
I think it's at least possible that this sort of thing can happen. I remember Nic Lucas, in an old NOI discussion, how he got quite good at feeling cranial rhythms but then realized he could feel the same thing when he put his hands on a tree. An "palpatory illusion" seems like a reasonable explanation in this particular case.
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,476 Posts

I do think there are palpatory illusions. However, I think there is also softening of the patient's body. Through peripheral (possible) and central (for sure) neural mechanisms.

I'm pretty sure when I treat, some of what I'm doing is completely ideomotor. I do not know if vascular and fluid and softening changes in the patient can be termed "ideo"-motor, though, as they seem to be absolutely outside their "ideation" capacity.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Last edited by Diane; 28-04-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,525 Posts

The patient tells me their softening - I don't tell them.

Of course I know illusions are possible.
Old 28-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
The patient tells me their softening - I don't tell them.

Of course I know illusions are possible.

that would seem to me to be a very important difference, possibly critically so within the above context.

At the risk of stating the obvious - he is drawing on the Minasny paper when he refers to palpatory illusion which I seem to recall has come under discussion here before.

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Last edited by amacs; 28-04-2011 at 07:19 PM.
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply