SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,757 Posts
Default Doing the splits II

We’ve spent a lot of time here on Soma Simple explaining the nature of mesodermalism and ectodermalism. Years ago I began reading aloud a quote from Montagu’s Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin:

Quote:
The skin arises from the outermost of the three embryonic cells layers, the ectoderm. The ectoderm also gives rise to the hair, teeth, and the sense organs of smell, hearing, vision and touch – everything involved in what goes on outside the organism. The nervous system, which has as a principle function informing the organism of what’s going on outside it, is the most important system to which the ectoderm gives rise.
He wrote this in 1971!!!

Still, the full significance of this didn’t really occur to me until I began reading Diane Jacobs’ expansive work on the subject.

To me, Ligature was an especially useful thread but it didn’t cause much of a stir.

From post #11:

Quote:
While our formal education prepared us for examination of the ground (read mesoderm, read concrete) our patients in pain are driven mainly by the clouds in their heads (read ectoderm, read fractal, read chaotic).
I think our education creates this split.

What do you think?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,872 Posts

Barrett, all education splits its students. Ours especially. It's a completely wrong approach to the problem. I wish I could go back and go through PT training the way it should be organized. The very first class should be one like this: Robert Sapolosky, Human Behavioural Biology. PT is special education, sort of. Special in that its more splitting (Cartesian even) than most. A good grounding in Human Biology would inoculate us against having our minds so split.

I've listened to the whole thing once through now. Time to listen again, more carefully, let it soak in better, take a few notes maybe. So rich/enriching. All PTs whether pre or post grad should rehabilitate ourselves by learning about the HumanAntiGravitySuit's real function as a biopsychosocial entity and force, on itself and on other HAGS's (not just its structure as a stretchy corpse). Once this was understood, then we could learn the bits and larger aggregated parts and put them together in our heads like IKEA furniture, so we could do a "job" at "facilities" of one kind or another. Having something like that at the start would forever weld our profession and all its members to our/its own biological humanity, and make it understand that what it was using for mesodermal operational concepts were only concepts, not weld them onto our innocent open minds as if they were the frickin' truth of the world.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Last edited by Diane; 05-05-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
caro
Arbiter

Hi Barrett,

I agree. I was trained to focus on everything but the skin. To work on people as if they had literally been skinned.

Mind you, that's not exactly true. Skin was amply mentioned in the marketing class I had to take. In that context, the " Let's not forget, skin is our most important organ." soundbite was thrown around left and right. But never, never, the neurobiological explanation as to why that is.

I had to come here in order to find that. And read, read, read.
" Toute douleur déchire ; mais ce qui la rend intolérable, c’est que celui qui la subit se sent séparé du monde ; partagée, elle cesse au moins d’être un exil. Ce n’est pas par délectation morose, par exhibitionnisme, par provocation que souvent les écrivains relatent des expériences affreuses ou désolantes : par le truchement des mots, ils les universalisent et ils permettent aux lecteurs de connaître, au fond de leurs malheurs individuels, les consolations de la fraternité. C’est à mon avis une des tâches essentielles de la littérature et ce qui la rend irremplaçable : surmonter cette solitude qui nous est commune à tous et qui cependant nous rend étrangers les uns aux autres. ''
Simone de Beauvoir (Tout compte fait)
caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Diane

Caro - too true!

I just saw this: Michael Shermer's new book, The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths.
Quote:
"The brain, Shermer argues, is a belief engine. From sensory data flowing in through the senses, the brain naturally begins to look for and find patterns, and then infuses those patterns with meaning. Our brains connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns that explain why things happen, and these patterns become beliefs. Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, which accelerates the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive-feedback loop of belief confirmation. Shermer outlines the numerous cognitive tools our brains engage to reinforce our beliefs as truths."
This is true for regliosity (we all "know" that) but it's true for anything else, too! Unfortunately. Unless minds are protected with less special-ized stuff, first.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Diane

This just in, probably pertains - blogpost on motivated reasoning.
Quote:
"motivated cognition refers to the unconscious tendency of individuals to fit their processing of information to conclusions that suit some end or goal... end or goal motivates the cognition in the sense that it directs mental operations... sensory perceptions; in others, assessments of the weight and credibility of empirical evidence, or performance of mathematical or logical computation—that we expect to function independently of that goal or end.... is best understood as a description or characterization of a process and not an explanation in and of itself... can make us stupid, but it is not a consequence of stupidity."
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

To shift toward an ectodermal perspective we have to use every "trick" at our disposal.

Maybe an aphorism: When you arrive at the skin, you've arrived at the brain.

Maybe an emphasis on the power of taping.

Maybe a deemphasis on mesodermally derived structures.

It seems that when we don't "bow down" to the structures popularized by several giants in the field: Paris' facet, McKenzie's disc and Kendall's muscle, that, by extension, we're not sufficiently honoring them, and therapy culture being what it is, we aren't being very nice.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 05-05-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Barrett Dorko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
caro
Arbiter

I was over at Frédéric's this w-e for a seminar with Neil Pearson. It was sooo interesting to watch and listen to the other people in attendance (all PT's).

At one point, during the w-e's last break, I observed as Fred very enthusiastically described to a young woman, how he is learning to incorporate neurobiology and pain science into his practice. I could tell she was struggling, not meeting his gaze, hands in her pockets. This seemed to be a lot for her to process.

Right behind them, on the wall, was the framed photograph of a bridge. I kid you not.

All of the participants were invited to join SomaSimple.
" Toute douleur déchire ; mais ce qui la rend intolérable, c’est que celui qui la subit se sent séparé du monde ; partagée, elle cesse au moins d’être un exil. Ce n’est pas par délectation morose, par exhibitionnisme, par provocation que souvent les écrivains relatent des expériences affreuses ou désolantes : par le truchement des mots, ils les universalisent et ils permettent aux lecteurs de connaître, au fond de leurs malheurs individuels, les consolations de la fraternité. C’est à mon avis une des tâches essentielles de la littérature et ce qui la rend irremplaçable : surmonter cette solitude qui nous est commune à tous et qui cependant nous rend étrangers les uns aux autres. ''
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Diane

Maybe she was just thinking really hard, Caro.

I remember feeling stunned like that the first time I attended a Butler class.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
caro
Arbiter

Yes Diane, that's probably more accurate.

I wonder if she'll join us.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Quote:
I could tell she was struggling, not meeting his gaze, hands in her pockets. This seemed to be a lot for her to process.
This, I suppose, is the posture of dissonance.

Make a fist. This represents what you know to be true. Make another. This is new information - information you've just received and it makes sense, is defensible and obviates the power held within the first fist.

The fists collide - which will endure?