SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default The storm within

Quote:
“Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)”

Walt Whitman in Song of Myself
It finally arrived yesterday. It was preceded by two radio interviews with the author and I heard them both this week, one on Fresh Air and the other on To the Best of Our Knowledge.

Incognito sums up what we currently know about how unconscious processes rule our behavior well beyond anything imagined by those who try to choreograph, coach, cheerlead and instruct others. That would be us, the therapy professions.

Science has established that enormous amounts of neurologic activity accompanies our every thought and move. This Eagleman refers to as “a storm we are completely unaware of though it rages within us.”

My question: How do we enter that storm and allow it to inform us while helping the patient? Wouldn’t that be the most rational form of therapy?

Much more about this book in future posts.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 23-11-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
paulingraham

Looks great!

Reminds me of a book with some similar themes, The Invisible Gorrilla, which I recently listened to instead of reading (http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B003G8R03S). It's by the psychologists responsible for the original (famous) invisible gorilla experiment, Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons. Since then they've gone on to do a lot more research about weird cognitive distortions. A strong theme of the book is that there is a very great deal going on in our noggins that is not intuitively evident, and that consciousness is an incredibly fragmented representation of reality.

What's so great about the book is that it's so empirical. They're not just speculating! They draw their conclusions from a parade of bizarre and yet concrete experimental results. It's a bit dizzying.
paulingraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
John W
Harmless creampuff

Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,061 Posts

I like Moseley and Butler's analogy to an out of sync orchestra with respect to those in pain, but "storm" works, too.

Although, I'd like to think I can "conduct" a concert more effectively than the weather.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
caro
Arbiter

Certainly, all of this gives credence to :

" Stress is when you are leading someone else' life".

Since Simple Contact Vancouver, I have mentioned, demonstrated or used Simple Contact to elicit ideomotoric movement in every one of my sessions. The patients completely get it.

They are begging for some kind of respite from the Storm within.
" Toute douleur déchire ; mais ce qui la rend intolérable, c’est que celui qui la subit se sent séparé du monde ; partagée, elle cesse au moins d’être un exil. Ce n’est pas par délectation morose, par exhibitionnisme, par provocation que souvent les écrivains relatent des expériences affreuses ou désolantes : par le truchement des mots, ils les universalisent et ils permettent aux lecteurs de connaître, au fond de leurs malheurs individuels, les consolations de la fraternité. C’est à mon avis une des tâches essentielles de la littérature et ce qui la rend irremplaçable : surmonter cette solitude qui nous est commune à tous et qui cependant nous rend étrangers les uns aux autres. ''
Simone de Beauvoir (Tout compte fait)
caro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Carol Lynn,

I really like what you've said here. I recall hearing a poet once say that when a poem compelled her to write; "It was as if a freight train were headed my way." She felt as if she must put down the thought in order to avoid it. I said the same of my father's poetry and I know I feel similarly.

"Respite from the storm" sounds like another wonderful way of describing what some ideomotion within a therapeutic context might feel like to so many who have an experience of pain that (as the philosopher says) "is the end result of plans thwarted and hopes dashed." It also sounds like a pretty good title for something. I intend to steal it.

I'm also glad to hear you've taken the work to the east coast of Canada with you. It belongs with you. Pass it around.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I was able to contact a "personal assistant" of the author, telling him of the interest here and got this reply:

Quote:
Very kind of you! I will let Dr. Eagleman know!
I find it interesting that there's nothing about ideomotion in this book. What do you suppose that means?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

David Eagleman participated in an hour long interview with the Commonwealth Club of California. It's a great interview replete with examples from David.

You can listen here or you can find their podcast in iTunes.
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Newman For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (20-03-2012)
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
ian s

Default analogies

Jon,

some really good points...wish i could convey this enthusiasm by Eagleman! Some v relevant points on sport,motor mastery --(makes me think about the obsessive isolated motor education in some aspects of rehab) The stuff on memory and arousal relevant and I like his image of the brain as finger print ie they are totally unique.

ian
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
ian s

Default irony .......

Jon , back to the broadcast ......At 50 minutes someone asks about mindfulness and the power of meditation . He says he thinks its a good idea but has no time . How many times have I heard this!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian s View Post
Jon , back to the broadcast ......At 50 minutes someone asks about mindfulness and the power of meditation . He says he thinks its a good idea but has no time . How many times have I heard this!
Yes, "I have no time" seems to be code for:

1.) I don't value it as much as other things
2.) I don't think it really delivers what it purports (but I think it's a good idea anyway!)
3.) I have low confidence in my ability to perform the task

To be mindful doesn't seem like it takes extra time. Rather, it seems more like a habit one develops. Although it may take time to develop the habit, it isn't something that someone needs to set aside a block of time to practice. Meditation on the other hand does seem to require people to set aside a block of time to practice. How much time do you suppose it takes?
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
ian s

Default headspace...

Jon , I read and follow some of this . Most people could find ten minutes?
http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/