SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Clinical Reasoning
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Clinical Reasoning Typical cases are discussed there. The cases are brought by practioners.

Old 18-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
joebrence9

Default Rediscovering/Redefining Physical Therapy in the 21st Century

So myself and a colleague were discussing the concept for a book on "rediscovering or redefining physical therapy for the 21st century". We are considering approaching the book by having various clinicians who are skilled in manual therapy and neurophysiology, each write a chapter discussing a patient scenario, how they would approach care of this individual, followed by a discussion on modern literature and ideas which would support the approach. This book wouldn't be anti-biomechanics per se, but may ruffle some feathers in the approach to the care of patients in pain. The concept came about after a second read of Painful Yarns by Moseley. This was a great way of explaining pain at a basic level but we want to step it up by hearing from a bunch of different individuals who may have different outlooks and approaches to care which may not be considered "mainstream". We are thinking about ways we can express some of the ideas discussed on forums such as this to a wider audience. Does anyone have interest, feedback, etc. into this project? I always enjoy constructive criticism before embarking on something like this.
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,525 Times in 2,965 Posts

For a share of the royalties, I'd consider contributing a chapter to something like that. I'm working on one myself these days.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
So myself and a colleague...
Make sure you've got a good copy editor. (I couldn't resist- just giving the newbie some jazz there.)

It's an interesting idea, Joe. Based on what you just stated, though, it sounds like you have a perception that the regular participants here have an "anti-biomechanical" bias, which isn't really the case. Biomechanics is a perfectly sound science (as opposed to, say, something like acupuncture meridians/qi) and it has some explanatory validity with respect to how humans move (as opposed to, say, quantum mechanics, which doesn't apply to human movement).

The problem arises when people use that information to make claims that show cause and effect relationships between biomechanical phenomena and pain. This is an untenable leap, yet the profession continues to subscribe to it in both overt and more subtle ways. The most overt way is in the constant harping on posture and alignment and the significant dollars that our professional association and other sources continue to dole out as grants to those investigating these relationships. Enough already! Let's move on to some other questions that beg asking.

I would also ask for a share in royalties if I were asked to provide a case presentation in a book that has a clear message to deliver.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
joebrence9

I do appreciate the responses Diane and John. I would not expect anyone to contribute without getting a share of the profit. I would anticipate we split it equally but I doubt it will be a large grossing text so I am looking at this as more of an awareness piece than income generator. I have professional relationships w several highly successful reaearchers/clinicians and want to get them on board and will discuss the project further as we develop a project skeleton, objectives, etc. Alot of the ideas and approaches discussed here need to be brought to a larger audience and I suspect this type of text could accomplish it. I will send private messages to those interested as I develop more of the specifics. I will have a professional editor on board before we would even submit a manuscript for publication. We barter services ( free care for editing) and he is great to work with. Hope we can get this to happen!
Old 19-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,525 Times in 2,965 Posts

Well Joe, if you have some good connections and a vision on how it ties together, your offer is (enormously) appreciated. I've never successfully figured it all out yet. What has to happen when, who does what, who gets who involved and how.
Have you already published a book? I see you are a biologist as well as a PT. I want to think, therefore, that the project is in hands that understand the life and progression of the nervous system of human primates a bit more than the average PT might.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
TexasOrtho
Arbiter

An eBook might be more feasible. Great idea btw.
Old 19-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
joebrence9

Diane, I do hold an Bsc in cell biology and a Bsc in health sciences. I appreciate the basic sciences and spent alot of time in a lab growing cardiac stem cells on synthetic polymers (this made me realize I needed to study something w a little human interaction). I wrote part of a book last year w a buddy on attempting to predict injury and prevention but realized it was a lost cause and dumped it. I find this concept more attainable and realistic. Ron, I never sell short so if this project gets underway, we will shop it around for print.
Old 19-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
TexasOrtho
Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrence9 View Post
Ron, I never sell short so if this project gets underway, we will shop it around for print.
I echo John's recommendation for that copy editor!

Last edited by TexasOrtho; 19-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.
TexasOrtho is offline   Reply With Quote