SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > WWW The Wild Wise World > The Rubbish Cube
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Rubbish Cube The best place to criticize what is going wrong in health systems and other subjects.

Old 19-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #1
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,090 Times in 2,761 Posts
Default Canada as seen through a pair of unbiased US eyes

Hi there, thought I'd pop this up as a sequel to the "Why Bush Hates France" thread, where I mentioned a couple frictions Canada and the US have had over the centuries (now that somebody got me started...) :

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18381
Cheers,
Diane
8-)
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Thanks, Diane

When Australia looked to a national public health system in the 60s and 70s, it looked hard at Canada's health system, and then developed Medibank - universal health care for all. In the hospital outpatient area, everyone was entitiled to care for the payment of $AU20, which was then reimbursed. Payment had to be up front or no service. Then government changed and that was disbanded to Medicare, which has struggled along ever since. Under Medicare, everyone has rights to the free health care, including the workers' compensation and third party people; then it was decreed that they should attend privately - if they refused, they could attend with the high payments went into the coffers, which is not a bad thing, but it meant exclusion of those who could not pay high private fees.

It has its disadvantages - people abuse the system by demanding all sorts of services all the time. It is then up to the health professionals to discourage attendance; sometimes it works.
The major advantage is that most of the skilled medical care occurs at the public hospitals; and allied health cover, for instance is largely absent from the private hospitals, except for the very large ones.
Here in the Territory, most people would prefer going to the public hospital. apart from the cost, they say it is a safer place to be, with its large teaching facilities. Keeps everyone on their toes.
In many private hospitals, there are mostly 'horses' with respect to medical conditions; in the public, there are plenty of zebras, according to the medicos, and doctors love zebras.

Canada, I think, has got it right over many aspects of life. They just do not yell about it as some other countries do!!

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Diane

It's not easy living right next to such an abusive country. It lashes out willynilly at anyone it gets in its sights, sort of like a dangerous mental patient. It's amazing we have managed so far to retain what national identity we have, stuck as we are, forced to live on the same continent as them, with such a porous border. I sometimes wish we could just unzip our country and move it down next to Australia, or over to South Europe. But that would probably change the climate too drastically. Anyway, they hate us just as much as they hate France or anyone else. They love to blame us, especially our immigration policies, for their own problems.
Diane
Old 22-04-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Diane

If Canada were to slide in next to Australia, I don't think we would hate the country at all!! Unfortunately, from a geological point of view, Aust used to be attached to Mexico. Now we are headed to Japan, taking Indonesia attached to us. Oh dear.

But Canada would lose most of its marvellous infrastructure if it ended up in our latitude - drought, fire, lots of desert, and more developing. Not a good place, really, for future primary development!!

Nari
Old 22-04-2004, 03:17 AM   #5
Diane

Acutally, you could use a bit of water, snow and so on, couldn't you? Cool Australia down a little, at least for awhile? I think the global climate would alter drastically. Perhaps the US would drift north and join up with Alaska, after all these years the two would be together.
Diane
Old 22-04-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Great idea, but I think Canada would be the loser - due to the southern latitude and the Dreaded Circumpolar current (which steals all our rain).

Nari
Old 22-04-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
Diane

I think the best place to tow Canada would be just a bit further south of Australia, just under Tasmania, or somewhere south of New Z. but closer to Aus.. The latitude would be somewhat similar, just inverted, and we'd feel quite normal. The other thing is, the south has a lot more room for land than the north does. Might balance out the planet a bit more.
Diane
Old 22-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Mmmmmmmm..

A sudden landing of Canada into the Southern ocean would most likely trigger a major climate change, and/or alter the axis of rotation (it has happened before) or flip the magnetic poles.

Didn't realise just how powerful your country could be......did you?:wink:

nari
Old 22-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
emad
Forum Moderator

Bernard:

are you Anti-american ,i do not see them as" evil" in the earth.

Diane ;
we will be ,i hope soon, neighbours ,as i try to immigrate to new zealand .

cheers
emad
emad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
BB
Arbiter

Ouch!

Please do not judge all of us on our leader. ops: Although our culture has a lot to do with what is wrong with the world right now, we would be lonely if canada performed a hyper continental drift away from us!
I actually spent my honeymoon in canada, hiking in Banff national park! 8)
A lot of us are worried about the same things you are and are trying to get everyone to listen (sign the @#$% kyoto treaty already Bush!)

Now if you'll excuse me...I've got to get back to plotting evil.... :twisted:

Cory
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 07:26 PM   #11
Diane

Hi Cory,
Nobody judges individual Americans based on Bush antics. But everyone in the whole world, (and me particularly, because I'm your next door neighbour..) is counting on you and your fellow voters to lose this guy as fast as possible. :roll:
Cheers,
Diane
Old 23-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #12
Diane

Emad, it's mostly Bush who offends the world these days, not American individuals per say. Bush's agenda for the planet seems to be to get as much of it under US control as possible before he has to quit. It so happens that that particular agenda isn't so different from what the US agenda has always been. Really the only people on the planet who will be able to do anything to change the US trajectory in the world WILL be the Americans who vote. Fortunately they have that tool available. Too bad only a small percentage of US voters ever bother to use it, which means Bush and others like him seem to be able to hijack elections somewhat easily.

If you would like to read more deeply about it, visit www.michaelmoore.com
Michael Moore has written books and produced Oscar winning films saying the same things I have said here...only difference is, he is American and has a shot at actually influencing public opinion, and I don't.. in fact, I have two cousins I grew up with, living and working and happily voting Republican in California (ops .. there's nothing I can do about it!
:roll:
Diane
Old 26-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
emad
Forum Moderator

Hi Bernard:

Firstly,you may noticed that i do not share discussions those days , thus out of my hand , i am trying to get visa to go out .

Regarding the issue of freedom ,Bernard i imagined you all understand why i can not , the issue not related to what you have imagined :evil:

yes u do not take it seriously ,others not on the forum may take it serious my words.

bernard you wrote ;
where we can say loudly what is going wrong in the world

no no no
emad is offline   Reply With Quote