SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Clinical Reasoning
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Clinical Reasoning Typical cases are discussed there. The cases are brought by practioners.

Old 28-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Karen L

Default Taping Ideas and pictures

Here are some taping pictures. Benjamin Fontes asked about taping for knee and shoulder pain. These pictures show the skin surface and target cutaneous nerves. My reasoning is to tape the structure slightly flexed so that movement into extension deforms the tape and exerts skin stretch similar to DMN.

The neck tape diagram or the small shoulder patch are very similar to the slight skin deformation of Simple Contact and encourages instinctive corrective movement. One square of tape over the Deltoid is like ringing Jed Clampet's door bell.

Always ask about tape allergy, and explain how to roll the edges back slowly to remove tape. Try to leave on one to two days.

Caution for hyperalgesic people the tape can be very stimulating so use smaller pieces and for shorter times until they are cognitively able to assist their down regulation. After an initial period of awareness the novelty fades into the background and the brain stops paying conscious attention.

Picture 1 -4 Knee in extension (sometime the tape tension will cause it to lift from the popliteal edge, if taped in too aggressive flexion). I is a balance getting the angle of flexion so the tape doesn't bunch up in extension or flexion.

Picture 5 Taping for facial pain. Idea is to input non-nociceptive sensory stimuli through cutaneous nerves to the cervical plexus and communicating cranial nerves and cranial nuclei.

Picture 6-7 Taping for shoulder pain.

Picture 8 Taping for carpal tunnel pain.

Picture 9 Taping for hand pain. Tension during pronation. Supinate to apply tape.

Picture 10 Taping for hand pain. Tension in supination. Pronate to apply tape.
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extended knee.jpg (91.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Flex knee.jpg (142.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Affected nerves leg cut ant.jpg (299.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Knee tape.jpg (50.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Head Tape.jpg (63.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Male_back_2_Istock.jpg (70.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg What is affected.jpg (283.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Tape wrist.jpg (61.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Wrist Tape.jpg (39.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Wrist supination hand pain.jpg (48.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 29-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Karen L

Default Head and Low Back

Ideas for head and neck pain, Low Back Pain.

Picture 2 Apply tape 1 with back in rotation and extension(shorten distance between spine and glute). Piece 2 slight external rotation and flexion at hip. Reasoning: when the person stands up tape 2 will input stimuli in extension and internal rotation. Tape 1 will input stimuli when they sit.

Modify for placing tape on other side or both. I tend to try taping the side with the most indications of defense. Cool limb, internal rotation, tender or dense tissue, guarded side.

Picture 4 Apply both pieces of tape on the side with the report of pain or the above signs of defense.

Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Back Pain.jpg (286.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Low Back Pain (2).jpg (54.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Neck and Head ache.jpg (284.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Neck Head Pain.jpg (54.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Karen L; 29-06-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: clarify back taping instruction
Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
benjamim fontes
SomaSimpler

Default Trying "Karen" taping

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L View Post
Here are some taping pictures. Benjamin Fontes asked about taping for knee and shoulder pain. Karen
Being retired, I will use, Karen, let me say, your "Karen taping" with DNM and SC reasoning on my family. I have a member with scoliosis having a lot of pain. Next time, if pain appears on those places/joints, areas, I will try your new ideas of Karing Taping.
Other day, I tried it in her elbow, and pain was gone for a time.
Quote:
Caution for hyperalgesic people the tape can be very stimulating so use smaller pieces and for shorter times until they are cognitively able to assist their down regulation. After an initial period of awareness the novelty fades into the background and the brain stops paying conscious attention.
Following your advice, I will use smaller pieces and for shorter times first.
Thanks again, Karen.
Benjamim Fontes
benjamim fontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Karen L

Tape for ankles. Diane demo'ed this taping pattern for foot pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12567060509774.jpg (87.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg p1010012.jpg (68.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg p1010025.jpg (59.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg foot-left-neg-web.jpg (31.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Freshy

Thanks for the diagrams. I just picked up some KT tape for my wonky neck & shoulder and these pictures will really help. A lot less tape us then on the KT brouchure that comes with the tape.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Freshy

Sorry, forgot to ask a question I had. I see that you write about putting the body part in flexion/extension/rotation etc...My question is would putting an additional stretch on the tape when applying it also be beneficial? Should one end be anchored and a direction of pull be applied to the tape? Thanks -Doug

Last edited by Freshy; 10-07-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 20-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Karen L

Hi Doug,

The technique I use is simply get the tape on and in enough tension from being flexed etc.
I find aggressive stretch or tension causes tape burns especially on the sensitive skin of the wrist. I have also caused tape burn on my neck/shoulder area because I applied stretch to the tension. This tape is serious stuff if not used safely.

Karen

I think this article might apply to the knowledge base of how k-tape might have an effect. http://www.painresearchforum.org/new...skin-sensation

Last edited by Karen L; 20-07-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: link
Old 20-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,760 Times in 3,050 Posts

Thank you for that link Karen!
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
handson

Default clarity

'tape the structure slightly flexed so that movement into extension deforms the tape'

in regards to taping the posterior neck, you would have the neck in slight flexion and then apply the tape? wouldn't the tape bunch when the head is extended? or do you mean to move the affected area into a shortened position so that when lengthened (or back to neutral) the tape/skin is slightly stretched?

thanks.

also, can you use different kinds of tape or is kinesio tape best?

one more: tricks for self taping?
handson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
Diane

Stretchy tape is the most effective IMO.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 24-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
Karen L

Hi Handson,

Yes to clarify when I put tape on my own neck or a client I shorten the neck apply the tape and the desired effect should occur when the head returns to neutral. I do mix up flexion and extension in the neck. The correct terminology is to extend the neck when applying tape to the posterior neck. I tape myself when my wrists ache or I have a particularly sore neck. I have also used it on my low back and knees. My personal anecdote is; it works well for me.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any other types of tape. I find beige k-tape to have quite a lot of tack where as the blue color had less a less aggressive tack.

Please check out Cory Blickenstaff's taping videos as he applies the tape to slacken the skin. It is a different way and it would be interesting to know if both techniques function the same.

I hope this helps.

Karen L
Old 24-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Freshy

Thanks for the reply Karen. It most certainly helps. I think I was getting too aggressive with my stretching of the K-tape because it would start to fray in the middle. Need to remember more doesn't neccesarily mean "better". Hard mindset to break

Also, Diane I was able to access the DNM manual. Awesome stuff! Thanks for the hard work in creating it.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
estherderu
SomaSimpler

Default 0-10% stretch is enough in most cases

dear Karen, Diana and others,

Have not been here for a long while and had to look up this particular subject because it is everything to do with what I have been looking into for the last few years.

Using zero to very little 10% stretch has worked very well with me also.

Because I have been working with children a lot, my idea was also to use as little tape as possible and to use as little stretch (of the tape) as possible in orde not to aggrevate.
Mostly I use 0-10% stretch.
My max stretch has been 25% (more or less) if I want to give the skin (and underlying bodyparts) information to go in a certain directions. (correctional technique)

I use the 'concepts' of either taping the area belonging to the cutaneous nerve, de dermatoom or the so-called organzones and/or taping in directions I have found my skin imput to work during therapy.

They all work. The better the diagnostic skills and the therapists personal 'baggage' (bag of tricks), the better the results can be.

So far I have never caused "burns" nor have the parents nor patients that have been taught to apply the tape themselves.

In general I only put patient/child in a "skin stretched position" to tape if that particular skin has to stretch a lot during normal movement.

I use CureTape which is easy to obtain in Europe, I know what is in the glue; can inform patients about this and it has been applied to the paper backing with 10% stretch.
That means that if I use the tape coming off the paper I know I have my 10%.
I have tried a number of other brands sofar and have noticed that they all have a different amount of stretch (very little to a lot).
In many cases (brands) the content of the glue is unknown and I refrain from using these because of this.
I want to know (and inform people) what I am putting on someone, especially because the tape can stay on for days.

Esther
estherderu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Diane

Esther, it makes sense, in that children's nervous systems are more sensitive/less adapted.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #15
Karen L

Here is a basic k-tape booklet without many bells or whistles as it is for patient self application.

Karen

For those 11 who downloaded, I re-posted a properly edited and proofed copy. Sorry for the mistakes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K-Tape booklet.pdf (1.24 MB, 90 views)

Last edited by Karen L; 09-12-2011 at 04:43 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Angie (18-06-2012), byronselorme (14-07-2012), Kaspars (29-06-2012), Laura D (12-12-2011), Nairb (09-12-2011), tonyf315 (09-12-2011)