SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 30-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
thrill96
Ecto Padawan

Default Interview with Bas Asselbergs

Very pleased to be interviewing Sebastian "Bas" Asselbergs tomorrow, Friday July 1st at 4:30pm EST.

Our topic is "Treating Acute Pain with Neuroscience and Education". Please click on the link to listen to the interview.

Here's the episode guide:

Quote:
Acute pain can stop us in our tracks. It affects not only the body but the mind and left unproperly treated can develop into persistent pain problems. However, treatment based on the 4 origins of pain, using the skin as a kinesthetic portal to the CNS as an effective strategy and basic education on pain can lead to a effective and efficient recovery.

Our guest is Sebastian Asselbergs, PT who will discuss managing acute pain and using patient education - verbal, visual, and tactile - kinesthetic for effective pain resolution. We will also focus on educating the patient on the neuromatrix concept and the body's self-corrective capabilities.

Sebastian Asselbergs is a Registered Physiotherapist who received his physiotherapy education in the Netherlands. Cyriax, Janda, Kaltenborn, Dos Winkel and Maitland were at the core of that education, and Sebastian attended their workshops and courses. After graduating, he has specialized in Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy, Sports Physiotherapy, and Osteopathic Techniques. He has been in private practice in Barrie, Ontario, since 1986 and has been Clinical Supervisor for the Physiotherapy students of the University of Toronto (as faculty), University of Western Ontario, Queens University, McGill University, McMaster University, University of Ottawa and the University of Harare, Zimbabwe.

Sebastian has been involved in Provincial, National, World and Olympic Competitions, and
was the National Team Therapist of the Canadian Cross Country Ski Team for four years. He has been Chief Therapist at International Figure Skating competitions, World Triathlon Championships, Provincial Winter Games and Provincial Special Olympics. He has treated athletes from all the professional sport leagues in North America.
Since 1991, Sebastian has presented at many American Association of Orthopedic Medicine and Canadian Orthopedic Medicine Association annual meeting and conferences.
Please tune in!

Thanks,

Will
thrill96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
amacs
A bear of little brain

Ye gods that is some resume! (I suspect there might be a few others like it around here ... )

Bas it would be interesting to hear your journey through the profession sometime

regards respect

ANdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill96 View Post
Very pleased to be interviewing Sebastian "Bas" Asselbergs tomorrow, Friday July 1st at 4:30pm EST.

Our topic is "Treating Acute Pain with Neuroscience and Education". Please click on the link to listen to the interview.

Here's the episode guide:

Please tune in!

Thanks,

Will
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,524 Times in 666 Posts

Andy: I am old.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Quote:
Bas, how old is old?

You don't have to say, of course, but do you have clear memories of the Korean War, eg?

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
tonyf315
OCD neuromatrix for sale

Looking forward to this!
tonyf315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
byronselorme

I am looking forward to this too. Barrie is very close to me.

Hey Nari, Bas has his age in his picture to the left there. I don't think he is shy about it

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
amacs
A bear of little brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Asselbergs View Post
and not prone to blowing your own trumpet. I don't think your age detracts from my comment

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Hey Byron, I'm not very observant of the strikingly obvious, am I.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote