SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Training, Courses, Conferences...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Training, Courses, Conferences... Good courses, conferences and trainings all around the world

Old 20-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,070 Times in 2,745 Posts
Default Progressive Goal Attainment Program

Michael Sullivan at McGill: Originator of PGAP. Download his 44 page CV linked into next link
Next available training: Winnipeg, November 2011
Concept: see download of course for info.

Michael Sullivan was a guest lecturer at CPA Congress this year. He is rather brilliant (like most McGill types, i.e., Melzack) and is really helping the PT profession in Canada be less physical and more therapist. I'm going to go to his course in Winnipeg if there is still room. Everything about it makes sense, and is biopsychosocial with no flimflam. Such a better choice than last year's Jay Shah. At last..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011_Winnipeg_PGAPWorkshop.pdf (672.2 KB, 18 views)
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Jordan

Hi Diane,

I took Mick's PGAP course in April and thoroughly enjoyed it. PGAP puts together a clear program that teaches providers to use the measures validated for recognizing psychosocial risk factors (fear avoidance, catastrophizing, perceived injustice, and disability beliefs) for poor rehabilitation outcomes and to target these psychosocial risk factors using the program. The key message I took home was using this behavioural intervention to 'help patients behave in ways that are incongruent with their disability beliefs', an idea that I use with all patients who have unhelpful pain attitudes and beliefs.

The only thing I didn't love about the program is that it doesn't provide any optimism for patients regarding the potential for changing pain. He makes it clear that the program is to decrease disability and gain return to work and that we should not be suggesting to the patient that he/she may experience decreases in discomfort. While I agree there is some merit to shifting the focus to participation in activities, work and social roles, I do like to provide my patients with some education on neuroplasticity because as David Butler says, neuroplasticity should provide us with optimism for people with pain.

For the above reason, I have taken to providing an intensive pain neurophysiology education program prior to implementing the PGAP program. I think it provides a potent combination, but I havn't used it with a large enough group of patients to draw too many conclusions on effectiveness. Maybe this data will be something to publish in the future.

Anyway, you are going to love this course. Even if you don't use the standardized PGAP program, there is lots of good information to apply in practice and the course manual provides 445 key resources to explore. Enjoy! I look forward to hearing your review of the course.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,070 Times in 2,745 Posts

Thank you for that excellent overview Jordan. I have my application ready to send today. Hope they still have a spot for me.

My understanding is that it was the ortho div that brought him in. If that is true, it means the ortho div may be evolving quickly, at least the Canadian one.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote