SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Training, Courses, Conferences...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Training, Courses, Conferences... Good courses, conferences and trainings all around the world

Old 31-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,810 Posts
Default Chicago in February '12

Will Stewart and I are thinking about co-sponsoring a course to follow the Sections meeting of the APTA in February 2012 in Chicago. What I’d like to do is give others the option of attending a one day program on Simplifying Manual Care either Saturday February 11 or Sunday February 12. Location TBA.

Any ideas about how we might make this work? I’d like to think of this as a real Soma Simple event.
Old 31-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
joebrence9

I like the idea. I would like to see this interaction as a discussion forum or think tank-type event vs. pure lecture. This format seems to work for the individuals who moderate and follow this site. I would like to see a moderator propose questions prior to the event to the attending to the enrollees, and the enrollees participate by sharing metaphors, literature and ideas (ex. Chestnut Challenge) along with the moderator. I think objectives on what one would like to see accomplished are fine, but I often get frustrated at CE courses bc it often does not allow for discussion, it simply allows for completion of objectives. This stated, I would likely attend (would shoot for Saturday to allow travel-time back to the office by Monday).
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
mrupe82

I'd love to meet the SS crew. That's a two hour drive for me. If my wife doesn't pop first.

Matt
Old 31-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

These are the sorts of replies I was hoping for.

I'd like to design the course with your questions and concerns in mind, so please send them along.
Old 31-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
tonyf315
OCD neuromatrix for sale

Default it's all about the wives ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupe82 View Post
I'd love to meet the SS crew. That's a two hour drive for me. If my wife doesn't pop first.

Matt

Same here...4-5 hour drive for me. Only obstacles are: 1) unpredictable midwest winter driving conditions and 2) my wedding anniversary is a few days before that so IDK if I'll be available or if we'll be on a trip (we *were* actually tossing around Chicago as a destination...might have to bring that up again )

as to content, I personally have had little in-person experience with facilitating ideomotion (although I might get to coming up in Sept! ) I love the idea of a "think-tank" discussion as well, and would love to see ideas such as DNM and taping touched on.
tonyf315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
mrupe82

My first question Barrett. No need to reply until the course, of course...

How do you respond to those within the profession promoting the use of spinal manipulation or suggesting we actually harm our patients without utilizing this intervention? As someone that worked with Paris and understands this intervention all too well, why the abandonement on your part?

Thanks

Matt
Old 31-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Matt,

I've answered this question many times before and will be glad to here.

The people who employ manipulative or coercive technique have themselves indicated repeatedly that there's every indication the effect is a consequence of an alteration in neurophysiology, not biomechanics. If care should be as conservative as possible (meaning, "potentially harmless"), wouldn't it logically follow that active and, if possible, instinctive motion would be preferred?

The use of manipulation downgrades the potential for conservatism in treatment and emphasizes method instead of understanding.

We can do better. I want those who say that I am personally doing less than I might according to the literature to say so to my face. They've had plenty of opportunities and haven't yet.

My background provides me with a unique perspective. I intend to use it.
Old 31-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,577 Times in 2,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupe82 View Post
My first question Barrett. No need to reply until the course, of course...

How do you respond to those within the profession promoting the use of spinal manipulation or suggesting we actually harm our patients without utilizing this intervention? As someone that worked with Paris and understands this intervention all too well, why the abandonement on your part?

Thanks

Matt
I'm sure Barrett's answer to this will be very interesting.

If I may..[for the record].. the reasons I was turned off the whole, must-get-a-black-belt-in-ortho hype, long ago, and never ever did, was because:
1. the skin is already the outside of the brain, no need usually to try to treat deeper
2. orthotrained PTs are helpless when confronted by people in pain who happen to be overweight - they immediately blame their pain on being too heavy and tell them to lose weight before they can treat them. The real reason they are helpless is because they practice on skeletons, and therefore can't treat anyone whose physiognomy is not skeletal, because they can't find their bony margins very well
3. they succumb to the delusion that unless they treat the joints (rightly or wrongly, tenderly or forcefully) they haven't done a good job with the patient
4. ortho-trained PTs treat ortho pareidolia instead of patients with pain
5. ortho is (imo) well suited to OCD types (and I was never one of those)
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Yea, what Diane said as well.

I see the whole manipulation thing these days as a return to Paris' original appeal to the "skillful, strong, quick, willful and supremely confident" meme sold at his courses. If he doesn't agree that this was (and is) the underlying message, he's welcome to argue otherwise. He won't, but he's welcome to.

"Just tell me what to do when the patient hurts here" is a common question. Many make money answering this by creating a course that proposes a method, and then they get out of town.

Manipulation fits this scenario very well.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrence9 View Post
I like the idea. I would like to see this interaction as a discussion forum or think tank-type event vs. pure lecture. This format seems to work for the individuals who moderate and follow this site. I would like to see a moderator propose questions prior to the event to the attending to the enrollees, and the enrollees participate by sharing metaphors, literature and ideas (ex. Chestnut Challenge) along with the moderator. I think objectives on what one would like to see accomplished are fine, but I often get frustrated at CE courses bc it often does not allow for discussion, it simply allows for completion of objectives. This stated, I would likely attend (would shoot for Saturday to allow travel-time back to the office by Monday).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyf315 View Post
I love the idea of a "think-tank" discussion as well, and would love to see ideas such as DNM and taping touched on.
I like this idea too. Maybe people would be interested in a post-program program if they aren't too burnt out by programs yet. The ability to participate instead of just attend might be sufficiently interesting. Maybe, when finding a venue for the program Barrett, whoever is doing the reserving could reserve the space into the evening. Alternatively, maybe someone familiar with the area could get some space reserved at a bar or restaurant where an informal exchange of ideas can happen.

I've never been to a CSM before. I'll probably go if I'm around.
Old 31-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
BB
Arbiter

Its looking like I'll be there. I might even be presenting at CSM.

If that's the case you can count me in on attending.

My facebook page
My youtube channel Twitter

Neurotonics: a PT team blog
Somasimple on twitter
Pain and Neuroscience for Manual Physical Therapists Facebook page
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Awesome Cory.

I'm going to advertise your presence. It will serve as a draw.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Great to hear Cory. Let us know the details as they emerge. Barrett's right--one more draw for me.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,233 Times in 417 Posts

When I noticed CSM was in Chicago I was excited to go since I haven't been to a national event for some time. Now I'm even more excited. Driving to Rhinelander, WI to see Barrett seemed like a must do after having been involved on SS. Going to Chicago to see many from the SS gang is even better.

I like the discussion opportunity that Joe brought up. Looks like there might be many great minds to listen too, reflect with and learn with that might be able to make it. Barrett, I don't think we will need more practice time for SC.

Maybe some case presentations might be something different as well from straight lecture format. For me listening to others insights on how they handled patients provides some insights in to what therapy is about not necessarily what to do.

Cory, what might you be presenting on?

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Okay, now we're talkin'.

To me, the venue is the key to a great experience. Given that, everything else will fall into place.

If anyone here kows of a fine facility in Chicagoland - fitness club or hospital - please contact me directly.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #16
Erica

Barrett,
I will probably be at CSM as well-love Chicago-but not so much in the middle of February! I second Kory with the case study format. At this point in my career, I think a good clinical discussion with some real case studies and sound clinical reasoning is a real good way to keep learning!
Cory ( on another note) I will be in Vancouver in January for a week on a course. Would love to meet you! Will you be around?
Erica
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #17
Erica

I forgot to post in my last note-I took some courses at the Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago-it is about 10-15 mins in a cab just north of the city. I also thought there was a venue which hosted some of the NOI courses-I have to check back in my notes to see where in Chicago it is.
Erica
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
tonyf315
OCD neuromatrix for sale

so as an excuse to bump this thread, I'll pose the question: might Will be planning to record this session for posting here after the fact ala "Dorko's Diamonds"? Even if I attend in person, I'd certainly love to be able to go back and re-watch highlights!
tonyf315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
thrill96
Ecto Padawan

Tony,

I plan too. I'll have a real professional camera this time too
thrill96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #20
BB
Arbiter

Quote:
Cory, what might you be presenting on?
Nothing for sure yet, but possibly something for the occupational health SIG.

Quote:
Cory ( on another note) I will be in Vancouver in January for a week on a course. Would love to meet you! Will you be around?
Sounds great, Erica. I should be around. What course are you going to?

Barrett, I know an OT in Chicago. I'll ask her if she has any venue to recommend.

Seems cruel to be in Chicago without a chance to see a game in Wrigley.

My facebook page

Somasimple on twitter
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Great Cory. I'd be glad to contact her as well.

I'm planning on a trip there in early December to do a couple of in-services wherever there may be some interest. Free, of course.

If anyone there is interested, please let me know.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #22
BB
Arbiter

I sent her an email.

My facebook page

Somasimple on twitter
Old 21-09-2011, 04:51 AM   #23
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

We’re nearly there. Will Stewart has changed the media page in response to your suggestions and a venue will be chosen soon.

What I’m working on now is the blending of story and technical material that makes a workshop both memorable and practical.

Any additional suggestions at this point?
Old 21-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #24
Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica View Post
Barrett,
At this point in my career, I think a good clinical discussion with some real case studies and sound clinical reasoning is a real good way to keep learning!
Erica
I like this idea as well. I don't really have a career yet, as it were, but I'll sit in the back and listen! Will this be happening right after CSM or sometime during? I believe I'm expected back in class sometime soon after, but I like to think of those schedules as "suggestions," not hard and fast rules.

'Tis a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

We are planning on presenting the same one day workshop, one conducted on Saturday February 11 and the other on Sunday February 12.

Contact me or Will privately for details.

Soma Simple's resources and several regular participants here are working to make the course up to date and immediately practical.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,591 Times in 578 Posts

The CSM site has been updated in the last couple of days, and has programming and registration rates available. Upon quick review, there will be much to check out (a few examples include:

Quote:
Changing the Conversation From Injury Management to Wellness Activities, Part 1: Health Promotion in Your Practice Setting and on the Job Site
Time:
8:00 am-10:00 am (See Program for Room)
Speakers: Dee W. Edington, PhD, Joanette Lima, PT, MS, CIE, CPE,Cory Blickenstaff, PT, MS, OCS
Level: Intermediate
A culture of wellness at job sites, including every physical therapy practice setting, benefits individuals, society, and corporate health. Starting with their own workplace, PTs have a unique opportunity to assist industry in the creation of a healthy and high-performing workforce. Conclusions from longitudinal studies encourage a change from the illness/injury model to one that promotes and gives incentives for wellness. This session will examine an evidence-based, transformational approach to creating a healthy and high-performing workforce. in the speakers will address how individual health promotion, organizational environments, and workplace cultures impact health care cost containment, disability, productivity, and human resource development. Following the main' presentation, the PT's' role in this novel approach will be explored through a case study and panel discussion with Dee Edington, PhD, and physical therapists currently working with corporations.
Upon completion of this course, you'll be able to:
  • Discuss the economic and societal benefits of wellness initiatives in the workplace.
  • Implement wellness initiatives in the workplace.
  • Identify the PT's dual role of promoting early return to work or remaining at work while giving incentive for wellness.
  • Work within a multidisciplinary model to promote wellness as a lifestyle.
  • Apply the multidisciplinary and coordinated approach to health promotion.
Quote:
Manual Therapy: How Does It Work?
Time: 10:30 am-12:30 pm (See Program for Room)
Speakers: Joshua Cleland, PT, PhD, Joel Bialosky, PT, OCS
A substantial body of knowledge exists demonstrating the benefits of manual therapy for the management of a variety of conditions. However, it appears that the evidence is often lost in translation, as there exists considerable variation in physical therapist practice. Specifically, manual therapy interventions are often underutilized, potentially leading to suboptimal patient outcomes. Perhaps some of the reason for the underutilization may be related to lack of clarity surrounding the mechanisms of manual therapy. While traditional philosophies have relied on a biomechanical explanation for the observed effects, recent evidence suggests that a complex cascade of neurophysiologic effects may be at work. This lecture will discuss recent evidence related to the mechanisms behind many of our manual therapy interventions.
  • Identify reasons for the underutilization of manual therapy interventions.
  • Discuss the current evidence relative to mechanisms by which manipulation exerts its effects.
  • Describe potential educational methods to enhance the utilization of manual therapy.
  • Implement strategies for changing practice behaviors and delivering manual therapy services to a wider range of appropriate patients.
Quote:
Changing the Conversation From Injury Management to Wellness Activities, Part 2, & Occupational Health SIG Business Meeting
Time:
10:30 am-12:30 pm (See Program for Room)
Speakers: Dee W. Edington, PhD, Joanette Lima, PT, MS, CIE, CPE, Cory Blickenstaff, PT, MS, OCS
A culture of wellness at job sites, including every physical therapy practice setting, benefits individuals, society, and corporate health. Starting with their own workplace, PTs have a unique opportunity to assist industry in the creation of a healthy and high-performing workforce. Conclusions from longitudinal studies encourage a change from the illness/injury model to one that promotes and gives incentives for wellness. This session will examine an evidence-based, transformational approach to creating a healthy and high-performing workforce. in the speakers will address how individual health promotion, organizational environments, and workplace cultures impact health care cost containment, disability, productivity, and human resource development. Following the main' presentation, the PT's' role in this novel approach will be explored through a case study and panel discussion with Dee Edington, PhD, and physical therapists currently working with corporations.
  • Discuss the economic and societal benefits of wellness initiatives in the workplace.
  • Implement wellness initiatives in the workplace.
  • Identify the PT's dual role of promoting early return to work or remaining at work while giving incentive for wellness.
  • Work within a multidisciplinary model to promote wellness as a lifestyle.
  • Explain the multidisciplinary and coordinated approach to health promotion.
Quote:
Chronic Pain: Myths, Measures, and Management, Part 1
Time: 8:00 am-10:00 am (See Program for Room)
Speakers: Dana Dailey, PT, Kathleen A. Sluka, PT, PhD
Level: Basic
This session provides the information needed for the evaluation and treatment of patients with chronic pain. Chronic pain is a challenging diagnosis for the clinician and the patient. To better understand how to evaluate chronic pain, the underlying mechanisms of chronic pain based on the current science will be presented. The latest research will be discussed in terms of translating science and research into clinical practice. Chronic pain diagnoses such as low back pain and fibromyalgia will be reviewed and the biopsychosocial model of pain will be used for developing an individual plan of care and self management strategy for patients with chronic pain. Evidence-based tests and normative data will be presented in order to establish an objective baseline and ongoing assessment. Treatment topics and progression of treatment will be reviewed with an emphasis on self-management skills for daily care, exacerbation of symptoms, and evidence-based treatment. Case studies will demonstrate patient evaluation, treatment, and management strategies.
  • Describe the myths regarding chronic pain and the science of pain as it relates to chronic pain.
  • Describe the biopsychosocial model of pain as is relates to chronic pain.
  • Determine the evaluation needs for patients with chronic pain.
  • Describe the evidence-based tests and measures related to chronic pain evaluation and treatment.
  • Describe the areas for teaching self-management skills for patients with chronic pain.
Quote:
Chronic Pain: Myths, Measures, and Management, Part 2, & SIG Business Meeting
Time:
10:30 am-12:30 pm (See Program for Room)
Speakers: Dana Dailey, PT, Kathleen A. Sluka, PT, PhD
This session provides the information needed for the evaluation and treatment of patients with chronic pain. Chronic pain is a challenging diagnosis for the clinician and the patient. To better understand how to evaluate chronic pain, the underlying mechanisms of chronic pain based on the current science will be presented. The latest research will be discussed in terms of translating science and research into clinical practice. Chronic pain diagnoses such as low back pain and fibromyalgia will be reviewed and the biopsychosocial model of pain will be used for developing an individual plan of care and self management strategy for patients with chronic pain. Evidence-based tests and normative data will be presented in order to establish an objective baseline and ongoing assessment. Treatment topics and progression of treatment will be reviewed with an emphasis on self-management skills for daily care, exacerbation of symptoms, and evidence-based treatment. Case studies will demonstrate patient evaluation, treatment, and management strategies.
  • Describe the myths regarding chronic pain and the science of pain as it relates to chronic pain.
  • Describe the biopsychosocial model of pain as is relates to chronic pain.
  • Determine the evaluation needs for patients with chronic pain.
  • Describe the evidence-based tests and measures related to chronic pain evaluation and treatment.
  • Describe the areas for teaching self-management skills for patients with chronic pain.
Quote:
Maximizing Patient Motivation: Uncovering the Hidden Barriers to Patient Adherence
Time: 3:30 pm-5:30 pm (See Program for Room)
Speakers: John Woolf, PT, MS, ATC, COMT, Beth A. Haggerty, MSW, Terry Hickey, MS
PTs are being exposed to literature that elucidates the need for a biopsychosocial model of care. However, most are ill-equipped to successfully integrate a biopsychosocial and a biomedical world view. As outcomes become increasingly important in an evolving health care system, PTs will need to maximize patients' participation in their rehabilitation. Even if PTs recognize the psychosocial barriers to a successful outcome, they have little training in how to motivate patients and change ineffective behaviors. PTs need key strategic communication skills such as motivational language, behavior change techniques, precision information gathering, and measuring therapeutic alliance to consistently create positive therapeutic alliances.. This session provides specific descriptions of neurobiology of relationship, health belief model, and therapeutic alliance, and exposes you to the following skills to maximize patient outcomes: provider-patient rapport including state management and patient calibration; eliciting patient worldview of the perceived problem, resources, goals, pathway to goals, and barriers to success; and measuring the level of therapeutic alliance.
  • Describe the basic neurobiology of relationship.
  • List the basic elements of a health belief model.
  • Describe the fundamental components required for a positive therapeutic alliance.
  • Establish rapport with a patient to maximize adherence to the treatment plan.
  • Measure the level of the therapeutic alliance.
  • Identify barriers to treatment plan compliance.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #27
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thank you for this Keith.

Do you think the APTA would mind if I left flyers for the course on all the seats?

Still trying to pin down a venue. Suggestions welcomed.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #28
BB
Arbiter

Thanks for posting those Keith. First time I've ever seen my name listed in such a manner. I'm looking forward to presenting and attending the conference as well as Barrett's course.

My facebook page

Somasimple on twitter
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #29
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,577 Times in 2,981 Posts

Way to go, Cory!
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Cory,

You can bet I'll be there.

Anyone else from here going to Chicago?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
Sheffphysio

I would love to but the flights are a bit steep!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
Jess Brown

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
Old 14-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #33
BB
Arbiter

Anybody thinking about going to this and/or CSM should look at Southwest flights right now. Very cheap flights into Midway. Deal ends tomorrow (monday 11/14).

My facebook page

Somasimple on twitter
Old 14-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #34
Michael Tankovich

I will be attending (our thesis was accepted for a poster presentation). I am really excited to meet some of the SS crew and see Cory present!

Barrett,

I am very interested in attending the course you plan on presenting. I will send you a PM to get the details.

Cory,

Thanks for the heads up on flights.

Michael Tankovich SPT, ATC, CSCS
Michael Tankovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #35
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

A month ago I wrote all the hospitals and PT practices in the Chicago area and offered to do an in service (free) in order to promote the program.

I’ve received no support for the workshop in response.

Without local participation I cannot justify this and have decided not to plan anything further.

The workshop has been cancelled.
Old 20-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #36
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,532 Times in 457 Posts

Well I for one was strongly considering going to Chicago for this seminar. Needless to say I am also disappointed.

Eric
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #37
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

You must be on someone's list because that is a truly surprising (non)response.

Are you still going to the conference? If so, would you consider participating in something like a Pecha Kucha?
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Jon,

I'd do one of those things in a heart beat. I'm going to do all I can to get to Chicago for the conference.

I've been in 15 venues in the past 4 years and not one has requested an in service or expressed any interest in my thinking. I do remember two inservices being scheduled by others - both horrible.

I'm not feeling very optimistic regarding the whole change thing these days.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #39
Ken Jakalski

Thanked 1,362 Times in 592 Posts

Hi Cory!

Quote:
Seems cruel to be in Chicago without a chance to see a game in Wrigley.
For the past couple of seasons, it's been cruel to see any game in Wrigley....

But I'm a Sox fan!
Ken Jakalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #40
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Good to hear. Anyone else interested in participating?

We'd need a projector, a blank wall or a screen, and a venue.

Here are some possibilities for a venue.

Here are some others.

Those links didn't work as I expected. In the first one I used the "search nearby" function and put in "pub" and in the second one I put in "physical therapy". There were quite a few possibilities. A local would be better at narrowing down which would be probabilities.

Last edited by Jon Newman; 20-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #41
Ken Jakalski

Thanked 1,362 Times in 592 Posts

In the Lisle/Woodrige area, which is just east of Naperville and about thirty minutes from downtown Chicago, we have the Bulls/Sox Academy as well as the Seven Bridges Fitness Center, which at least years ago was pretty progressive and open to new concepts.

Seven Bridges played host to the first two-day seminar that Owen Anderson ever conducted. We had a had great attendance. I can do some checking and get back to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owen'sFirstClinic005.jpg (240.8 KB, 5 views)
Ken Jakalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #42
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,591 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
The workshop has been cancelled.
Disappointing news.

Still looking forward to meeting you in another venue in the future.

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 21-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #43
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Here's an example of a Pecha Kucha

Hands Hands Hands

Anyone besides Barrett that do one of these in a heartbeat?
Old 21-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #44
zimney3pt

Barrett, sorry to hear about the no response.

Jon, your idea sounds interesting...just not sure what I would present on. Especially if the audience was those from SS primarily, we cover things in depth here and not sure I would have much new to offer. When I have done other talks, much of the ideas with different explanatory models in regards to pain and it's treatment is often times very different and new for those audiences.

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
Old 21-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #45
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

I think most of the benefit of trying one would be your own. Most of the examples that I've watched are basically story telling with 20 visual aids. Who couldn't improve their skills as a therapist by being a better story teller?

Maybe you could present about some sort of epiphany you've had. Or one that a patient of yours had.
Old 21-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #46
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

These Pecha Kuchas remind me of the What's Your Story thread.
Old 22-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #47
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimney3pt View Post
Jon, your idea sounds interesting...just not sure what I would present on. Especially if the audience was those from SS primarily, we cover things in depth here and not sure I would have much new to offer.
I was thinking that if Ken came through with the venue, he might also have access to an audience (and possibly participants) that would break the echo chamber of SS only participants. But even it were limited to SS participants, it's my opinion that there is sufficient diversity represented here to make things interesting.

Also, maybe some of the presenters (or people with posters) at the CSM could translate their presentation into a Pencha Kucha like presentation.
Old 22-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #48
zimney3pt

Well, I plan on attending CSM, so if something comes about I'm always open to new things. As you stated Jon, most of the benefit may be my own.

Old 22-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #49
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

In an attempt to tie a bunch of threads together, here's one on trigger points.

Old 22-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #50
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,532 Times in 457 Posts

The memes are replicating.

For more amusing and topical memes see here

Eric
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote