SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Clinical Reasoning
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Clinical Reasoning Typical cases are discussed there. The cases are brought by practioners.

Old 15-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
nsbirak

Default LBP only in the AM

I have a 47 yr old female patient who had a sudden onset of LBP 2 months ago. She states the pain is worse in the A.M. and eases as the day goes on. She reports it is difficult to walk int he A.M. due to the pain. My evaluation was performed in the evening when she only suffered from a 1/10 pain level and all neurodynamic test were negative. The only position the reproduced her symptoms was prone laying, otherwise she had full pain free lumbar motions. I figure that in the AM her disc height is the highest thus causing her nerves to be tensioned, but she reports she can not find any position in the A.M that would decrease her symptoms. Currently I have performing seated slump nerve glides b/c she did complain of some R posterior hip/leg pain. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
nsbirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Jackson

What happens if you have her extend in prone? If she lies in prone for a longer period of time, what effect does this have?

Nick

You will never succeed if you are not prepared to fail.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
TexasOrtho
Arbiter

Hi Neal. Good to see you on SS. Do you have any more information on the location of her morning symptoms. (i.e. central, lateral, buttock, etc...) Has she identified anything other than the passage of time that contributes to a resolution of her morning pain?
Old 15-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,165 Times in 408 Posts

Also in the morning most people have lowest HR and BP. Nerves like blood. Decrease in blood flowing can make them more cranky in the morning. Sometimes just increasing general cardio fitness can be helpful along with education of why the nerves may be a bit cranky and what needs to be done to reduce that. Overtime with some attention to movement and increase cardio will often times get better as it is not most likely an issue in the tissues as no specific acute incident and pain improves with position or use so signs of more mechanical in nature. Ideomotion can also be helpful.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
nsbirak

Thanks for the responses. See reports after laying prone for approx. 5 minutes her pain levels remain the same. Rod she does reports sensitivity to touch over the anterior region of her R thigh, but the LBP is central. If it was lateral what would that make you think? She states reclined sitting helps decrease her pain in the A.M.

I'm not familiar with ideomotion can you please lead me into the right direction to learn about this technique. I will definitely talk to her about the lack of blood flow int he A.M.

Thanks

Neal
nsbirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Jackson

I'd test more movement. Once you make her pain worse in prone lying, what movement makes it better? If she extends further back in prone lying does she have increased s/s, resolution, or no change?

Nick

You will never succeed if you are not prepared to fail.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote