SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 19-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts
Default "Id", as in idiot

I called it “spontaneous correction” for a few years, recognizing that the word “healing” was full of trouble and didn’t have much to do with chronic pain anyway.

Then in ’97 I read a review of Spitz’s text in The Skeptical Inquirer and devoured the book.

At the time I was writing a weekly column for a nationally distributed magazine called PT-OT Today and quickly put together an essay titled The Forgotten Movement, briefly detailing its description in the 19th century, its study and the implications regarding pain. Then I waited.

Nothing happened.

The word’s pronunciation presented a bit of a problem, but I decided on a short “i”. The long one sounded somewhat foreign to me, and, in fact, kind of snooty. I still hear people say it this way but they almost always correct themselves. Half the time they say idiopathic first. They assume I know the “correct” way because, well, because I’m old.

I’ve written many essays about all of this and now I understand the movement pretty well. Still, it’s not spoken of in any PT programs. I can’t get David Butler to consider it. I suspect that this has something to do with our culture’s resistance to the unconscious and its continued embrace of “free will.” I think it has to do with belief and personal responsibility and religion. These are hard to overcome.

The movement itself comes from our “shadow” as a Jungian would say, and most don’t trust that. In fact, they’d prefer not to talk about it.

Maybe I should have gone with a long “I”.
Old 19-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
byronselorme

It is the strangest experience and yet utterly fascinating at the same time. I am just reading through Incognito right now after your writing and mentioning it.

It seems to be providing heaps of reasons why there is so much to investigate here.

I was watching Mythos by Joseph Campbell the other day and he drew a big circle and then drew a a horizontal line about 1/4 down from the top. It was a symbolic representation and we was drawing on Jung and many other sources like Hindu mythology etc.

It was interesting to see that conscious was placed in the upper portion and unconscious (non conscious) was placed in the bottom 3/4. I guess that seems like too much for the conscious but what we are now discovering.

I really think there is so much to this but I am such an amateur and investigating and presenting it. It is a place that I would like to take Yoga if I continue with it. Don't know if that is "Yoga Therapy" or not.

I just enjoy reading the connections that you keep making. I keep think how can I interpret and use this?

Thanks for posting so regularly. I can't wait to be able to debate about this topic effectively.

(Ouch!!! Spitz's book is only $588 new from amazon, are you getting a cut?)

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,233 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronselorme View Post
(Ouch!!! Spitz's book is only $588 new from amazon, are you getting a cut?)
I think I would get the used copy only $30 (what can I say, learning is important but I'm cheap).

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts

I remember a couple of years ago when even used copies of my own book went for over $800. It's way down now.

I have no idea why that happened.
Old 20-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
smith

Most major christian denominations have dropped predestination for free will. And for good reason. St. Paul and St. Augie were wrong. It was a major philosophical decision. Your right of course, this unconscious/subconscious stuff would be threatening.
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
byronselorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimney3pt View Post
I think I would get the used copy only $30 (what can I say, learning is important but I'm cheap).
Not me Kory. If it is $588 it must be much better

Imagine how much more I will learn if I buy that copy. It might be so good I can just stand beside it and not even read it.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,233 Times in 417 Posts

That might be worth the $588

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote