SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,525 Posts
Default Whence instinct IV

In David Linden’s The Accidental Mind he writes:

Quote:
The brain is not elegantly designed by any means; it is a cobbled-together mess, which, amazingly, in spite of its shortcomings, manages to perform a number of very impressive functions. But while its overall function is impressive, its design is not.
It’s a great read and I listened to large portions of it on my iPod as well. He makes the case that the slow maturation of the brain in humans is a consequence of its evolutionary development; that since the neurons haven’t changed substantially in their design since the days of the prehistoric jellyfish they are slow, leaky and unreliable. There’s a bunch of other stuff wrong with the brain as well, but I’ll let you read the book.

The instincts we are born possessing and those we develop and express are also a consequence of this process. Simultaneously they save us while diminishing our capacity to express things and adapt in the fashion we might. In my opinion, this is because human culture has overwhelmed us.

This is nothing new, but unless we identify and acknowledge its influence on our understanding of painful problems these patients will forever remain a mystery. The general attitude is, “Let someone else solve it.”

That’s why Soma Simple is here.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,475 Posts

Quote:
The brain is not elegantly designed by any means; it is a cobbled-together mess, which, amazingly, in spite of its shortcomings, manages to perform a number of very impressive functions. But while its overall function is impressive, its design is not.
I love this. The nervous system not a noun, it's a journey. It's a verb, constantly talking to itself, trapped for life in a mountain of mesoderm, yearning to escape, having to haul the mesoderm around with it wherever it wants to go, having to figure out ways to move it, usually defaulting to the most cost-effective (thought-less) way to do so, and endlessly getting itself into trouble by doing so.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I like it too.

I see that I wrote of the brain as a kluge (Linden spells it with a “d”) in ’09 here.

Linden’s book is referenced at the end of the thread.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

In ’08 I started a thread titled Therapy and the Discontinuous Mind. Today I would prefer …the Discontinuous Brain.

Here’s a quote:

Quote:
The discontinuous mind represents a gap in our perception and therefore our reasoning. It leads to our presumption that things begin at a given time and in a measurable way. These things lead to the presence of other things that we may be able to sense with sufficient ease, measure again and alter predictably. In short, it encourages ignorance of the deep model of existence and functioning. The discontinuous mind finds it easy to dismiss evidence that does not conform to its current model and to only emphasize that which does. It is the antithesis of scientific thought.
Sound like anybody you know?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Instinctive behavior can be learned, apparently. And what we learn that is useful, true (whatever that is) and defensible in its expression if it arises from something rational.

I think.

This reminds me of what Steven Johnson speaks of referenced in this thread.

Learned instinctive behavior should resemble the adjacent possible.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
mszlazak
SomaSimpler

Some devastating implications for those that think mind is nothing but brain and it's actions, and also believe that brains evolved by an unguided adaptive process that is geared towards the organisms way of life and chances of survival. This gives rise to Darwin's doubt since it produces a defeater that can't be defeated (i.e. a self-defeater).

What implications does this really have for understanding and treating pain if any?

What implications would other views have if any?
mszlazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply