SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 14-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,750 Posts
Default Whence instinct VI

Sam is rolling now. He came to us a month earlier than expected but came home from the hospital with Jennie and Jon just two days later. From the first, there was a sweetness about him, and he learned to smile before he learned to frown. At least, his grandfather says so.

Quote:
Man is programmed to learn to behave, rather than to react via an imprinted determinative instinctual code.

Louis Bolk
Born before we can instinctively do much for ourselves, we learn from those in our environment how to do what we must in order to survive, and Sam has learned how to smile in a fashion that delights everyone around him, even strangers, and moves them toward acts of kindness and generosity.

His mother learned something similar, and here, as his Uncle Alex holds him, you can see the imprint of the family on their faces.

As I handle patients I seek to create an environment that invites their instincts to come forth. In humans, this usually includes the smile they learned as an infant. If I can get that, I know I’m on the right track.

Sam reminds me of this.

Did I mention that he’s rolling now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kathy's cam 019.JPG (1.87 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 14-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Barrett Dorko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,475 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
...he learned to smile before he learned to frown. At least, his grandfather says so.

Your posting makes me recall holding each of my children early in infancy, while they were sleeping. Each child would, quickly, almost reflexively, grin...curling their lips oh-so-subtly while at rest. My wife and I would think it was the cutest thing.

I thought to myself and could never imagine what the children would possibly dreaming/smiling about...their experiences were so few...they could not yet see and sounds were without context. I came to the conclusion that just because we smile, it does not necessarily mean we are happy, nor does it necessarily require a conscious thought/dream-like state. It was just some motor neurons firing.

Your posting made me think, though: In contrast to my own observations above, I had never seen either of my children frown under the same circumstances.

Quote:
As I handle patients I seek to create an environment that invites their instincts to come forth. In humans, this usually includes the smile they learned as an infant. If I can get that, I know I’m on the right track.
You might be onto something, here...

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,
Keith
Old 14-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,148 Times in 403 Posts

It's unfortunate the structured control and limitation of movement our culture pushes on us has takes away that smile for so many people. I think that is why most everyone loves to hold a baby and see that smile appear. It is a reminder of a time when movement was instinctive, which natural brings about that smile.

Thanks for another great post Barrett.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
byronselorme

Kory,

For some reason your post made me think of Venezuala. There is a music program that teaches classical music to underpriviledged children called "El Sistema" or The System. The movie is quite interesting, if not overly evangelical.

It is interesting but that wasn't where I was going. Classical music audiences in Europe and North America are almost frozen in time. Waiting until the very end to clap, sometimes waiting extra long for someone else to start because they are not quite sure the piece is finished (an embarassing faux pas).

What was interesing was watching the South American audience watch the performers. Same music (maybe more passion, I don't know) same professional setting (beautiful concert hall). Completely different audience. They were up and dancing and cheering, clapping and moving if they loved the music (which they did).

Is that sit still cultural conditioning absent in that part of the world?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Sitting still is an interesting phenomenon, and a whole series of posts here took a look at that recently. They weren't very popular.

Many people are aware that the real issue is control, not health or pain relief. See Kindergarten Cop for more about this.

As I've said to many classes, "Ahnold is everywhere."

Apparantly, not Venezuela.
Old 14-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,148 Times in 403 Posts

Some people might say that those in Venezuela haven't had their culture evolve to the level of those of us in North America and Europe, I'm not so sure that is a bad thing as many in North America and Europe would tend to think. I'm guessing those in Venezuela could care less to be under that kind of control and in many ways they are happier for that.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
byronselorme

Quote:
See Kindergarten Cop for more about this.As I've said to many classes, "Ahnold is everywhere."
Apparantly, not Venezuela.
Excellent article. I forgot about the whistle blowing and military training part of the movie. Your so good at pulling that stuff into a therapeutic view. I love it!

People actually ask me in class often enough for it to not be an oddity. "Is it ok for me to put my foot/arm/hand/head this way?"

Imagine, grown adults asking for permission to move.

It's a crazy world out there.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
Old 18-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

When I teach I'll spend a few minutes on this movie's message, and, I do a mean Ahnold imitation, or so I'm told.

Fewer and fewer of the students have seen this movie though, and those that have complain that it was "so long ago."

What difference does that make?

I need a new movie about being forced to pose.

Maybe I should just set up a camera at work.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 13-02-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Barrett Dorko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
byronselorme

Quote:
I need a new movie about being forced to pose.
Maybe "The Rock" or Vin Diesel have something out? It sure isn't Reno 911 in Miami They would be the opposite.