SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 23-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Default Hi All

Hi All. I am a Chronic Pain PT in an ACT, CBT and graded exposure type MDT team which has a low opinion of interventional pain therapies such as injections, specific diagnoses or prescriptive exercise. I have come to this site by following the thread on Visceral Manipulation on ScienceBasedMedicine, enjoying Diane's post, following her links and here I am, joining the community. I welled up reading the ten points and the reading list. I have felt a bit of a voice in the wilderness and I hope that this community will be a Shangri La of EBM in the field I love with fellow professionals from the discipline I love. Yours with high hopes, Steve. ps professionally speaking I have quite a low opinion of hope....
ste5e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Sheffphysio

Hi Steve,

Maybe we can set up a Yorkshire branch of Somasimple!
Old 23-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
ian s

Default UK

I don't think it would be too far fetched to consider a UK offshoot ---the opinions/generosity/resources and links to anything pain/movement and philosophy related are far more worthwhile than anything else out there...Welcome Steve!
I am in the opposite situation to you --a conventional pain clinic a bit of the time with little MD input and management seen as a last resort.
ian
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts

Steve,

Thanks for coming here and for the intro. I've read that those who continually hope are making it clear that the present situation is unacceptable, and that's rather a complicated thing. After all, which situation are they talking about?

In any case, Soma Simple has much to offer and I hope (uh-oh) you'll contribute some of your own thoughts.

Welcome.
Old 23-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Sheffphysio

I agree that getting UK groups together would be good for all. Steve, I work in Wakefield and Sheffield in Occupational Health. Will see anyone and everyone in pain.
Old 23-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

Hello Steve. Welcome - this path you've taken will sometimes make you feel like a lead character in Dawn of the Dead.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,757 Times in 3,049 Posts

Welcome to SomaSimple Steve.
Many heads put together makes lighter work.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
ian s

Default alone, but not ...

http://mindblog.dericbownds.net/2012...-solitude.html

Diane, your comments made me think of this recent post by Deric....I think the reason forums like this work perhaps is its populated by individual thinkers who are then free to make sense of the literature , apply things and report back . It's no surprise that many opt out of 'group think' .Deric's post explained a great deal about my own tendencies in this area.
Old 23-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,757 Times in 3,049 Posts

Quote:
The one important exception to this dismal record is electronic brainstorming, where large groups outperform individuals; and the larger the group the better. The protection of the screen mitigates many problems of group work. This is why the Internet has yielded such wondrous collective creations. Marcel Proust called reading a “miracle of communication in the midst of solitude,” and that’s what the Internet is, too. It’s a place where we can be alone together — and this is precisely what gives it power.
Yes, I've often thought to myself that this is the best of both worlds. I can be sociable without having to become sociable.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
amacs
A bear of little brain

Welcome Steve, great to see another Uk based physio on the site. I am growing suspicious that Dave is trying to set up a North of England Chapter though!

Hope you enjoy the site - I have a moderately high opinion of hope - without it "ppl perish"

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Hello Steve and welcome.

Good to see the UK physios' presence is increasing. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Aust physios, and it can't be due only to the relatively small population.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Thanks for the welcome all. Having a littl etrouble navigating the site - It's soo big and I haven't worked out how to subscribe to a thread or be alerted to a comment - I will work it out
Old 26-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Hi Dave, I would have sent you a personal mail but I need to post more before I build up my rep. I used to host a local pain physio meet here but it ended up just me, the skipton pain PT and the Leeds pain PT and my boss (manager and pain PT). Now three of us get together for peer supervision on a monthly basis because the Skipton lady comes to our office on the friday to do CFS PT. So the wider peer support folded. Much like the one hosted at Bradford Uni did four years ago.
Perhaps we could poke the PPA - physiotherapy pain association and see whether another try is worth a go. What do you think?
Old 26-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
ste5e
SomaSimpler

I have found the subscribe button! Huzzah!
Old 26-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
ian s

Default ppa

Steve,

I haven't been involved for years but I am doing something for the PPA North later this spring (probably north of where you are --think north maybe northumberland and above ...) I have met one or two interested interested people through it.

I can sense the disinterest in the topic of ongoing pain in most of my colleagues. Run an update on the SI joint and see the numbers grow.......

I used to send lots of stuff to Louis when he edited the PPA journal --it was really intereting times I am not sure what is happening now. Send a p.m if you want to....maybe meet sometime ...The fantastic Yorkshire sculpture park near you?
Old 27-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
ste5e
SomaSimpler

True the sculpture park would be a good venue. Nice cafe too.
I agree we are in the 'wrong' business' if right is getting rich or the acclaim of the masses of our profession. I despair when I read the post grad lecture circuit flyers. Vanity, vanity all is vanity! SIJ I ask you! Just because it has proved a safe revenue generator in other manual therapies. Pah! One of many Zombie ideas that will not stay dead.
Old 27-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Sheffphysio

Hi Steve, Ian.

Meeting up would be great, Yorkshire scupture park is a fine venue. What ever happened to the PPA?

Steve, keep me informed of any meetings you have and I'll try and make one. Leeds area is no problem for me.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
amacs
A bear of little brain

Ian,Dave,Steve,

Please keep me in the loop, while a bit more than a bus or car journey I might be able to make it.

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
Old 27-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
ste5e
SomaSimpler

The PPA is alive and well. The journal is now editored by Dr Nick Harland, NICE fellow and the latest one has a little bit from me on our teams use of the Pain Disability Questionaire and our results with it (NNT just over three for significant change). The organisation feels a bit low key but I cannot criticise as I have not the time to invest in it at the moment It might be something to discuss.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Sheffphysio

Is the web site working? Or have they a new one I can't find?
Old 29-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
ste5e
SomaSimpler

I have not been on their site in a very long time. There was nothing much on there to make me want to go back! I am geographically close to the journal editor Nick and I email him occasionally over stuff like outcome measures (his PhD was on that subject). So I kind of pay may dues and feel a part of the organisation but don't get involved because I have not so much 'free' time.
Old 29-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
amacs
A bear of little brain

web site is down I believe.

ANdy