SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 26-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Eilis

Default Newbie!

Hello all... I have been a member here for a few months now... but have been hiding in the background.... One of my clinical educators introduced me to this site, which has been an eye opener... I have recently graduated from my MSc Physiotherapist course, with a great interest in alternative medicine... I would like to find a way to bridge the gap between the two as I feel that each can complement the other... However, while I was a student I found it difficult to express my interest in alternative med. because in many cases it is looked upon as insignificant because of the lack of ‘evidence based practice’.. but when you consider the placebo effect, can what we do not be described as placebo-therapists...and thus can Physio and alternative medicine not be merged under the same umbrella?
My undergraduate degree was in Social Science, where I studied psychology, sociology and philosophy... This has given me a more in depth understanding of people and the society they live in, which I find invaluable when it comes to evaluating patients, their perception of pain, and linking it to psycho-social factors....
I think this site will help me grow as a Physiotherapist..... Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Eilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Sheffphysio

Hi Ellis,

Nice to have you here, I hope you find a way that bidges that gap!

Which MSc did you do? Was it in the U.K or Ireland?
Old 26-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,269 Times in 427 Posts

Eilis, welcome to SS.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,751 Times in 3,046 Posts

Hi Ellis,
Welcome to SomaSimple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilis View Post
Hello all... I have been a member here for a few months now... but have been hiding in the background.... One of my clinical educators introduced me to this site, which has been an eye opener... I have recently graduated from my MSc Physiotherapist course, with a great interest in alternative medicine... I would like to find a way to bridge the gap between the two as I feel that each can complement the other... However, while I was a student I found it difficult to express my interest in alternative med. because in many cases it is looked upon as insignificant because of the lack of ‘evidence based practice’.. but when you consider the placebo effect, can what we do not be described as placebo-therapists...and thus can Physio and alternative medicine not be merged under the same umbrella?
My undergraduate degree was in Social Science, where I studied psychology, sociology and philosophy... This has given me a more in depth understanding of people and the society they live in, which I find invaluable when it comes to evaluating patients, their perception of pain, and linking it to psycho-social factors....
I think this site will help me grow as a Physiotherapist..... Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
I used to think an umbrella that would cover the two might be a good idea, but the more I learned about the damage woo does to the human brain, the less I thought it was such a good idea. Instead, it's more important (in my opinion) to base what we do on solid information available from neuro and pain science. We can learn what to do with our hands, AND have better explanations, than the woo folk. They certainly are good with their hands, but what goes on between their ears is remarkably dense and murky and even sciencey-sounding yet full of conceptual rabbit holes, conceptual hallucinations they have made up out of thin air to match their perceptual fantasies. I don't want them under my umbrella.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts

I was hoping that Diane would weigh in here. Our experiences have been very similar. If you decide to break away from their "reasoning" (scare quotes) expect to have the conversation veer off track very quickly.

There's always a price to pay.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Eilis

I did the MSc in Scotland...

Thank you for your advice... I agree with you Diane, I was a bit blasé with my umbrella term comment. PT's have worked too hard in their field to be grouped in with 'woo' people...

I'm hear to learn....and find the theory and practice behind neuro and pain science, as you said, really interesting! One of my clinical educators, Ian, introducted me to Explain Pain, dermoneuromodulation, and the TED clips.... which is something we didn't get taught in uni...and I think it's key in our treatment with patients, and in helping patients understand their pain..
Eilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
amacs
A bear of little brain

Welcome Ellis,

Glasgow or Edinburgh for the MSc? I presume Edinburgh if Ian was one of your clinical tutors?

good to see another person from the Uk/Ireland on the board.

Enjoy the ride

regards

ANdy
"Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne
amacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
byronselorme

Don't know if this is of any help Ellis,

But Rachel Remen M.D. has written a book (kitchen table wisdom) that gets at what I think you mean.

I think, personally, the Alt Med. crowd gains points when they create a warm environment, offer caring attention, and spend time with the person. This is the relationship part that should be in all therapy but is sadly missing very often. The explanations and logic should mostly be scrapped.

If you follow the advice of those here I am sure you will find the answer you are looking for.

Welcome!

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote