SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > The Performance Lab
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Performance Lab A place to discuss the role of physical exercise on health in diseased and non-diseased states.

Old 26-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
allenbr4

Default Backwards walking for sciatica?

I've seen a few references on SS over the years to backwards walking, including in Parkinson's patients using it as a trick to allow normal forward gait. I also see a number of people at the gym doing it on the treadmills, for whatever purpose, probably to as a recommendation from trainers to strengthen/tone the "glutes".

I've been thinking of it as an exercise for, for instance, a mild lumbosacral radiculopathy. I guess it'd be similar to other "glute strengthening" exercises, providing a brief compression and then reduction of pressure of the LS nerves, creating a pumping effect in the IVF. Maybe a more fun, novel, reduced-threat version of bridges or bird dog?

Does anyone recommend backwards walking for patients? For what conditions?

Thanks!
Old 26-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,160 Times in 407 Posts

I do not use backward walking on any regular basis. But I don't see anything wrong with your reasoning.

Quote:
I've been thinking of it as an exercise for, for instance, a mild lumbosacral radiculopathy. I guess it'd be similar to other "glute strengthening" exercises, providing a brief compression and then reduction of pressure of the LS nerves, creating a pumping effect in the IVF. Maybe a more fun, novel, reduced-threat version of bridges or bird dog?
Heck, I would stand on my head if I could just get some patients to get some more general activity in.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Josh
SomaSimpler

Typically retrowalking is recommended for a quad exercise and to promote terminal knee extension. For LBP, it would be fine, but no better than walking or elliptical or nustep, in my opinion.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
advantage1

I wouldn't bother recommending this. I would encourage your patients to walk forwards as often as possible.
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

The only advantage for backwards walking is that it's a novel movement for the brain - which could be interesting to try in certain cases, particularly in a safe environment with longer strides than ususal.
I don't see it as a "strengthening" thing at all.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
smith

Back in the day I used to reccommed it for patella femoral pain syndrome. Less patella pressure you know. Now use neurodynamics, ideomotion etc. much better.

Through millions of years of evoution we evolved walking forward. Less tension throughout the knee walking foward. If any arthritis, walking backward will certainly aggrevate it. So for general population, why bother?

In sport, you may have to use, for instance; basketball and defensive backs backpedalling on defense.

Go New England Patriots
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Years ago David Butler advocated backwards walking to improve gluteals as we are losing our gluts due to lack of walking and lots of sitting.

I still support the idea in certain circumstances; especially for those who take small steps and no arm swing (as in Parkinsons and the elderly).

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
gollygosh
Geralyn Giuffrida PT

I frequently have patient's walk backwards. I do this mostly as a novel input. From a biomechanical perspective, we are asking the patient to use muscle in reverse fashion--concentric versus eccentric.

I would like my patients to learn to think of their body as something that was designed to move, and feel free to explore motion in a variety of ways. I 'm not that worried about how strong they are, but rather that they use the body they've got.

Personally I have been dealing with Left heel pain for a while, and I find that if I change up my gait periodically--backward walking, side step, and braiding--that my tolerance to standing, and ambulation has improved.

Geralyn
gollygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
willynilly

I could see where this would increase lumbar extension with repetition and could be a helpful activity if the pt's radiculopathy appeared to lessen with extension activities..
willynilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,872 Posts

Hi willynillly,
Please start a thread in our welcome forum, so we can welcome you there, and tell us a bit about you.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
willynilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Hi willynillly,
Please start a thread in our welcome forum, so we can welcome you there, and tell us a bit about you.
Done!
willynilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Backwards walking came up in dsicussion yesterday at work as a way of distinguishing between a gait which is an overt pain behaviour and one which is more mechanically antalgic.
Back in the ortho rehab days we used it with ACL reconstruction folk to get closed chain extension at the knee - especially if walking backwards up a treadmill on an incline. My thought at the time was that it was really pushing the patient out of a comfort zone and increasing their trust by stretching their experience....
ste5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Milehigh
Professional Inductionist

Thanked 1,524 Times in 455 Posts

Apparently backwards running is a common form of fitness in China fyi.

Quote:
Joseph Kahn, a deputy foreign editor for The Times who just returned from five years as Beijing bureau chief, said athletics in China was mostly confined to sports academies that train young people to be Olympians. Otherwise, exercise takes place in the morning in parks, where people do yoga and tai chi and run backward, which they think helps with balance.
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.”–Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931). The Prophet.
Milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote