SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 15-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,688 Posts
Default What I don't do II

Quote:
And maybe the most difficult question, please don't slap me too hard. If you aren't doing anything, why isn't it enough to shake someone's hand, or get a hug....?

A perfectly good question asked by CDano in yesterday’s Range of Motion – What I don’t do
Quote:
In 1975 Paul received a BA in Buddhist studies while at university in Kyoto. He said, “I learned a lot about how to approach and treat patients in my seven years at the Bobath Hospital.

Jay Schleichkorn in The Bobaths

Quote:
In 1979 I returned to Ohio and watched my mother move unconsciously yet therapeutically as she succumbed to Alzheimer’s. Eventually, I sat beside my father’s deathbed as he composed a poem about the care he’d received from his physical therapist—distinguishing this from the therapist’s training—and these two insights became major themes in my practice and my writing.

From This is Why
The fact is, a handshake might be enough to “move” another toward relief from their pain, but we are so used to such things that we don’t notice them. It simply isn’t enough. I actually think that perfunctorily asking another how they are is anti-therapeutic. Personally, I never do it.

Heckler wrote: A practice is not so much about achieving a goal, avoiding something, improving yourself or making your wishes come true, but creating a positive environment internally and externally for the awakening process to take hold. A practice provides a path we may walk on, fall from, stand again, and relate in a direct and vivid way to others and the experience of our life.

I included this among the essays in my book and listened as Laurie Hack read it aloud at Cleveland State’s Prestige Day Presentation. I did the presentation there the following year and no one from that institution ever talked to me again.

I think it was because I didn’t tell them what to do, but discussed instead what they might come to understand.

What exactly should they do?

I swear I don’t know. But I think I know what they shouldn’t do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
jrob450 (15-02-2012)
Old 15-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
mike44pt

Cool Hello

This is my first post so here is an introduction. I am a PT in private practice working in Maryland. I work alone with a secretary. My patients are the failed workers' comp. My referrals come from attorneys (plaintiff and defense), case managers and vocational counselors -very seldom physicians (probable because they believe these patients are too complicated for a PT). Physicians would be surprised to learn that when traditional medical model thinkers have thrown everything at them and they have still failed they wind up at PT (disheartened and overmedicated). This is a WC system failure not a patient motivation problem.

My current interest is in scaling down the screening approach used by the Gray Cook team for my patients. These folks have movement problems and perceptual problems with a dysfunctional CNS. I need to guide them in working on all of that and communicate what I'm doing and why, as well as progress to all those involved in the case.

Thanks
mike44pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanks for posting though this is hardly the thread for that.

Read this.

Is there some specific reason you're hiding your actual name?
Old 15-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Sheffphysio

Hi Mike, good you could make it here. Just out of interest, why do people with persistent pain have a "dysfunctional CNS?"

Old 15-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,765 Posts

Mike, here is a link to the Welcome Forum. Please start a thread there to introduce yourself, where we can welcome you properly.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I'm wondering if this thread along with the last couple of posts to Caro's Clarity has been helpful.
Old 15-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
joebrence9

Quote:
perceptual problems with a dysfunctional CNS
I actually believe that if they are in pain, they have a "functional CNS"...The common issue that you are seeing is that individuals are likely in a state of central sensitization and this is why their pain does not make mechanical sense (I used to also blame my patients for having perceptual disorders and a problematic nervous system until I realized it was simply my lack of understanding the neural mechanisms that produce pain)

Maybe you could read my post about pain to learn more...
joebrence9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
jrob450

Barrett,

This is very helpful to me as a person trying to a hold of the nervous system and how it interacts with movement. I read the links provided and the light bulb moment was relating ideomotion to those of diagnosed ADHD children. I had never thought about movement in that fashion. A very close friend is a pediatric psychologist specializing in behavior modification and how to utilize in ADHD. I look forward in bringing this up as a topic of discussion tonight.

Thanks again
jrob450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
CDano

Yes this has been very helpful. The Ray Charles blind connection was especially illuminating.
CDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

I think Carol Lynn's thread is a classic. She's one of the few here whom I've met personally and I'm glad I didn't drive her away.

Perhaps we're all lucky I didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
caro (16-02-2012)