SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,844 Posts
Default Novel Sunday II

Let’s read a book together. I found this one soon after arriving at the Cuyahoga Falls public library and now it is my newest favorite book of all time. I want to post about it each Sunday for a while.

The title is New – Understanding our need for novelty and change by Winifred Gallagher.

I’ve found that I like reading about how we came to be the way we are by evoking its evolutionary advantage. This explains that which is often inexplicable otherwise and often highlights the unconscious motivation that is the remnant of our kluge of a brain. After all, most of us have one.

Quote:
Just as the positive neophilic knowledge emotions urge you to explore, learn, and create rewarding new things, the negative neophobic feelings of anxiety and fear warn you to steer clear of those that seem risky.
I approach my two grandsons in a manner meant to elicit surprise, curiosity and interest. I imagine many here do the same with children. This draws them toward you and a common fascination with an object previously thought to be inanimate. To me, this is what magic and juggling do to a large extent. It is playful, engaging and, most of all, novel.

Do you approach patients in a manner similarly, or does this devolve into "finding something "fun to do"? Perhaps that should be left for activity directors.

Quote:
Deciding what to pay attention to is a peculiarly human predicament…We must resist the temptation to drift along, reacting to whatever happens to us next.

From Rapt; another book by Gallagher
We have in each patient a capacity and an instinct to attend to the novel. Making the novel safe, non-threatening, inviting and concurrent with their innate desire to learn and grow is what therapy should be about.

It should elicit the neophilic and not the neophobic.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 04-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Barrett Dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Sabrina (04-03-2012), TexasOrtho (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
byronselorme

What do you think about about the fact that she describes it more like a bell curve. I think she states it as a 1 - 5 - 1. Where the 1's represent the extremes and the rest of us fall in the middle?

Do you think for a therapeutic context to play out well in the patients favour they need to be moved relative to their predisposition?

For instance if someone is a neophiliac already perhaps a neophilic approach is not useful. And for someone who is neophobic then just getting them to shift into an everyday ability to interact with just one thing in a novel way is best?

I just picked up the book from the library yesterday so I'm just throwing this in for discussion.

Quote:
or does this devolve into "finding something "fun to do"? Perhaps that should be left for activity directors.
I find that I often shift into the role of activity director and when I recognize it I don't like it. It stems from not having a clear grasp of the principles I am truly committed to, I think.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Last edited by byronselorme; 07-03-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Author is female. I missed that.
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote:
Do you think for a therapeutic context to play out well in the patients favour they need to be moved relative to their predisposition?
This a great question and precisely to the point.

How do you introduce novelty without taking it too far? This is the "dance" of communication; of handling and of education.

I have screwed it up many, many times - but not every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Milehigh (05-03-2012)