SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 21-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,794 Posts
Default Climbing the stairs

On Point of Inquiry this week Jonathan Haidt explains how it is we got to be a certain way. He’s also recently done a TED talk that, to me, explains a lot about my multiple visits here.

Maybe it will explain something to others so inclined, and I know there are a few of you.

Listen, watch, and then let’s talk.

Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 21-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Barrett Dorko is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
caro (21-03-2012)
Old 21-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,567 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
On Point of Inquiry this week Jonathan Haidt explains how it is we got to be a certain way. He’s also recently done a TED talk that, to me, explains a lot about my multiple visits here.

Maybe it will explain something to others so inclined, and I know there are a few of you.

Listen, watch, and then let’s talk.
I watched his TED talk earlier in the week and immediately considered how I had found SS...the door opening at the top of the stairs, and how we are "all in the same boat".

A thought crossed my mind too: there are lurkers on message boards, who in other contexts in society would be considered free-riders (Haidt's words, IIRC, not mine). According to Haidt, these free-riders can directly reduce the benefits of cooperation. But in the online environment, a lack of activity by some in a group (even if it is the majority) does not have a direct negative impact on the group (not that more input wouldn't be beneficial, either). Quiet, non-participatory learning is likely even beneficial to the group over the long term, potentially having a positive influence on the culture beyond the message board itself. This seems (to me) a unique scenario on first glance...

Respectfully,
Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to keithp For This Useful Post:
byronselorme (21-03-2012)
Old 21-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Keith, I agree.

As yet, I've not met another therapist who's been here (one visit doesn't count), but I'm sure they're out there.

About once each week I get a letter from a lurker or a new Twitter follower and I always invite them to introduce themselves. Almost without exception I never hear from them again.

There's a fear of speaking out there I had know idea was so strong - but I'm learning.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
byronselorme

I know I hold back from posting regularly. I often feel that there are discussions/questions that are aimed more at PT's or therapists and stay in the background more because of that. Also sometimes the discussions are beyond me and I feel a bit like I would be the kid interrupting the adult conversations

I love participating and just appreciate having the opportunity to discuss things I am interested in with people I respect greatly. I can't imagine why others wouldn't want to do this.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
caro
Arbiter

Quote:
There's a fear of speaking out there I had know idea was so strong - but I'm learning.
I certainly experienced that fear. That's why I lurked for quite sometime before taking the plunge and which, in the end, I think is good thing.

I agree with everything you guys have said so far. I've always favored experiences that have a ''greater good'' kind of feel. Otherwise :

The Following User Says Thank You to caro For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (21-03-2012)
Old 21-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
advantage1

Barrett, I contacted you via twitter and here I am!
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to advantage1 For This Useful Post:
Bas Asselbergs (21-03-2012)
Old 21-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

advantage, Has your actual name been revealed? Perhaps I missed it.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here, and it's why I said:
Quote:
Almost without exception
Old 21-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Mary C
Chronic Chrawler

Default scared?? me too

Diane may have been the scariest of the bunch, but you were a little scary, too, when I first met you in Moncton, NB.

Took me a while after the course in Moncton to get here. Then a lot of lurking before I dared post.

I'm used to you all now, so I don't mind admitting it.

The learning continues....

Mary
Old 21-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Mary,

I remember Moncton well though it was many years ago and, I guess, I was a little more wild-eyed. Carol Lynn has seen me recently and I suppose she could tell you that my manner has softened. These days I'm happy just to get an invitation.

To me, it will always be how frightening the material is (because it's hard to argue against) and how easy it has become to run from it.

Now my nearby colleagues claim, as one did recently, "Hey, I don't even do Facebook," as if this were a sufficient excuse for ignorance in the face of their patient's needs.

I guess you could say I have little patience for that any longer.
Old 22-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,567 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Podcast:
They wrote things and then other people would challenge them...science works because it is a community of people who challenge each other, correct each other's confirmation bias, and then the truth emerges.
I think that this explains why an occasional lurker, or first-time visitor comes to the site and reads what they perceive as "group-think".

The truth emerges over time, but to look at the front page or the stickies only, the reader can lose sight of the fact that many of the topics of "consensus" have been talked about on this board (and others) for many, many years. Admittedly, there have been times that I otherwise would have spoken up, but figure that if I go back and search or read some more, it has probably already been addressed at another point in time...and that is often the case. Bumping old threads can be fruitful in this regard too.

. . . .

Re: Introducing themselves...we talk about cognitive dissonance and how it can be too strong when contemplating the neuroscience of pain. I can only speak for myself, but the strongest dissonance I have encountered is the realization that I was NOT a good PT. Very few people want to put their name next to such a revelation for the whole world to see...I certainly do not.

That being said, I appreciated what Seth Godin said recently in a blog posting:

Quote:
Of course, at one point, we all knew nothing. The only way you ever know anything, in fact, is to speak up about it. Outline your argument, support it, listen, revise.

The byproduct of speaking up about what you don't know is that you soon know more. And maybe, just maybe, the experts learn something from you and your process.

No one knows more about the way you think than you do. Applying that approach, combining your experience, taking a risk--this is what we need from you.
I found his words compelling and have decided that when appropriate, I will speak up when I would have once remained silent.

. . . .

Regardless, thanks to all again to all who continue to share their insights and experiences on this board. Even for those of us who may not speak out as often, it is nice to be here. After all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Podcast:
Bird gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and human being gotta be part of something larger than itself.
Respectfully,
Keith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithp For This Useful Post:
Diane (22-03-2012), nari (22-03-2012)
Old 22-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
advantage1

Barrett and others,

My name is Rob Willcott and I am a physiotherapist in Fredericton, NB. I've been meaning to change my screen name to my personal name but did not want to cause confusion. One of these days I will also add a nice pic.
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to advantage1 For This Useful Post:
Barrett Dorko (22-03-2012), Diane (22-03-2012)
Old 25-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
byronselorme

Hey Rob,

You can always include it in your signature without changing your screen name.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote