SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 21-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Edmur Paranhos

Default Edmur Paranhos Jr (BRA-RJ)

Hello all,
Excuse me for the sudden entrance in a discussion, without introduce myself properly.
My name is Edmur Paranhos Jr.
I was graduated as a physiotherapist 10 years ago in Rio de Janeiro, where I was born, live and work.
I completed a Master of Education in 2009, where i've began to systematise my philosophical studies. My work was founded by Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal's ideas.
I attend private patients at office with manual therapy. My approach is foundamented by some of the ontological principles of Osteopathy.
Considering (a) the new studies of pain, (b) work on the influence of an educational process in therapeutic practice, (c) the suggestion of a redefinition of philosophy as a 'stylistics of existence', based on the subject of spirituality, (d) the educational paradigm proposed by Paulo Freire applied in the therapeutic relationship and (e) the guiding principles of the system of social health in my country, I am trying to develop a new therapeutic approach.
My current issues of interest are grouped under the theme "body", "healing" and "health" and range from the oriental medicines as the old ones, to psychoneuroimmunology, the Germanic new medicine, and quantum physics (David Bohm, Amit Goswami ), passing, of course, by neuroscience, the evidence-based physiotherapy and philosophy - especially the French contemporaries (especially Canguilhem, Foucault, Deleuze, Onfray), Marx, Nietzsche and Walter Benjamin and the thinkers of Education.
Above all, I enjoy and am moved by good debate and the enrichment of ideas, either by themselves or because of the practical implications: in order to see how this is healthy in my clinical practice.

Thanks for the welcome.
Edmur Paranhos
Edmur Paranhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,064 Times in 2,742 Posts

Thank you for introducing yourself Edmur, and again, welcome. Have we met?

I doubt anyone will be able to follow along with any philosophy. Well, unless mszlazak and you want to start a philosophy social group or something...

Are you interested in neuroscience and pain science?
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Edmur Paranhos (21-05-2012)
Old 21-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
MaxG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmur Paranhos View Post
Hello all,
Excuse me for the sudden entrance in a discussion, without introduce myself properly.
My name is Edmur Paranhos Jr.
I was graduated as a physiotherapist 10 years ago in Rio de Janeiro, where I was born, live and work.
I completed a Master of Education in 2009, where i've began to systematise my philosophical studies. My work was founded by Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal's ideas.
I attend private patients at office with manual therapy. My approach is foundamented by some of the ontological principles of Osteopathy.
Considering (a) the new studies of pain, (b) work on the influence of an educational process in therapeutic practice, (c) the suggestion of a redefinition of philosophy as a 'stylistics of existence', based on the subject of spirituality, (d) the educational paradigm proposed by Paulo Freire applied in the therapeutic relationship and (e) the guiding principles of the system of social health in my country, I am trying to develop a new therapeutic approach.
My current issues of interest are grouped under the theme "body", "healing" and "health" and range from the oriental medicines as the old ones, to psychoneuroimmunology, the Germanic new medicine, and quantum physics (David Bohm, Amit Goswami ), passing, of course, by neuroscience, the evidence-based physiotherapy and philosophy - especially the French contemporaries (especially Canguilhem, Foucault, Deleuze, Onfray), Marx, Nietzsche and Walter Benjamin and the thinkers of Education.
Above all, I enjoy and am moved by good debate and the enrichment of ideas, either by themselves or because of the practical implications: in order to see how this is healthy in my clinical practice.

Thanks for the welcome.
Edmur Paranhos
Welcome to somasimple.

May I ask why you think "germanic new medicine" is worthy of consideration as a treatment approach?
MaxG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxG For This Useful Post:
Edmur Paranhos (21-05-2012)
Old 21-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Edmur Paranhos

Hi, MaxG

You can ask whatever you want. and thank you for that.

I know this subject is controversial, not only among physiotherapists, but among all health professionals 'born from the rib of allopathic medicine'.
I don't think I can answer your question, since I still do not think the Germanic New Medicine as a treatment approach.
However I consider it as an object of interest to study, as I said in the welcome text.
And the reason why I do it lies on the fact that Hammer proposes what he calls 'biological laws', and I consider 'new ideas' (a bit less rigid - like any good Brazilian, in relation to the every good German) on how we can envision a possible link between studies on phylogenetic, embryogenetic and physiology.
As far as I could see, other fields of study in our area (I guess you are a physiotherapist like me) are lacking of this kind of articulation.
I see this lackness as a serious problem, since studies in various fields of knowledge, from most cartesian science (as our dear 'evidence-based physiotherapy') through (mainly) the most self-declared postmodern philosophy, show a urgent need to articulate all knowledges.
Moreover, I see as a problem to think as the 'radical (not real) reversal paradigm', where the brain, which was considered as a passive receptacle of information processed in the body, suddenly set itself as the most important organ of the body.
As somehow I expressed in the discussion of trigger points, I believe there is a non-hierarchical relationship between all body tissues. I think the study of psychoneuroimmunology can open our field of vision for things not yet considered.
Perhaps this is one possible answer to the consideration of the importance of other body tissues, not merely thinking the body as 'an instrument of the brain' (which could not be more platonic / thomistic / cartesian), but in their reactions to auto and hetero control, and transdirectional, ie, ectoderm to endoderm, ectoderm to ectoderm, mesoderm to ectoderm, endoderm to ectoderm, and so on.
Shortening the story, my interest in the germanic new medicine, has to do with a concern about a speech that pretend to do a kind of articulation that I have not seen anywhere (and if anyone here did, please let me know), not to consider it necessarily a treatment approach, but to refine my understanding of the pathological processes as occurring in a non-dual perspective:
(a) that it be complex, considering all the reactions of the body as a individual whole;
(b) not manichean, ie facing the idea that muscle, or nerve, or the ligament, or viscus cannot be the isolated sources of pain; and
(c) that did not consider the disease as a 'plague', but a continuum of physiologic adaptations of the body in its relation to the environment.

Thanks again
Edmur Paranhos
Old 21-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

Hi Edmur,

You're welcome but do not forget that Dr Hammer with the New Medicine makes problems.

http://www.esowatch.com/en/index.php...c_New_Medicine

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
bernard

Last edited by bernard; 21-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,064 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard View Post
Hi Edmur,

You're welcome but do not forget that Dr Hammer with the New Medicine makes problems.

http://www.esowatch.com/en/index.php...c_New_Medicine
Sounds awful!
Edmur, you actually buy this?
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Edmur Paranhos

Hi, Diane.

Unfortunately we do not know. I couldn't be together when you came to Brasil.
However I already feel your proximity, as a great friend and teacher (Palmiro) is an admirer of your ideas, which makes me go in a very similar direction.
I think I still do not have the chops to lead a group discussion. I may need some time to come and get used to writing in English.

I am definitely very interested in neuroscience and pain science.
Thanks for ask!
Edmur
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edmur Paranhos For This Useful Post:
bernard (21-05-2012), Diane (21-05-2012)
Old 21-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
MaxG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmur Paranhos View Post
Hi, MaxG

You can ask whatever you want. and thank you for that.

I know this subject is controversial, not only among physiotherapists, but among all health professionals 'born from the rib of allopathic medicine'.
I really don't want to sound insulting, but I think "controversial" is the wrong term. Rejected, disproven or regarded as pseudoscience would be more fitting.

If it's not the treatment approach, what is it that seems so intriguing?
The thought that all illness is self-induced?

Respectfully, I think the germanic new medicine has proven itself useless as a treatment approach.
Also, I don't think the mish-mash of vitalism and nordic mysticism that forms the basis of the philosophy behind the approach has a lot of merit either, let alone the political views of the movement's guru.
MaxG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxG For This Useful Post:
John W (22-05-2012)
Old 22-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
John W
Harmless creampuff

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,050 Posts

I think MaxG's got it right here. Anyone who espouses this "New Germanic Medicine" would likely be someone with whom I would find myself not agreeing to disagree.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote