SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 22-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #51
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

I hadn't heard of the Uncanny Valley before but I found it interesting. It seems that manual therapy has its version(s) of an "Uncanny Valley".
Jon Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #52
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

Jon,
We have the certainly such a valley and I'll adapt some well known laws :
  1. A PT may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A PT must obey orders given to him by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A PT must protect his own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
bernard

Last edited by bernard; 22-06-2007 at 07:16 AM.
bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #53
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

From Seed Magazine, The Rise of Roboethics

Yessssss!
Old 13-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #54
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Robot Overlord, Kweekwon

Sorry about the advert at the beginning. It wasn't there when I first saw the video. Also, it takes a while to load. I recommend you do it in the background while doing something much more important like posting something at Soma.

Last edited by Jon Newman; 13-09-2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old 17-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #55
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,876 Posts

Check out the facial expressions changing on the robot face.
In case that one was hard to visualize, here it is again with skin and hair and eyes.

These were linked to neurophilosophy blog.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #56
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Will humans marry robots in 50 years?--from Cognitive daily

I'm trying to fathom the politics surrounding this sort of arrangement.
Old 23-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #57
Diane

Seems there has been a robot developed that can provide facial massages. See attached.
I have a massage chair. The back of it has a hard working robot inside, with four (count 'em, 4!) smoothly operating shiatsu fists. The timing, ramping up or down of acceleration and pressure, etc., feels very "human". Of course, the robot won't respond to "pain" in the same way, but it's ok for general input which feels pretty lifelike, actually, and as always, downregulation of "pain" is the responsibility of the person sitting in the chair attending to the sensations provided to their mechanoreceptors, sensitized or not.

Really, there are already many many PTs and MTs who work like zombie robots, aspire to become them, so the more I think about this, the more I can see future manual therapy enterprises filled with robots providing precisely measured and doled out "mobilizations". Will that make certain outcomes-loving people happy? To be able to control dosages of manual therapy?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Massage robots _ Nature News.pdf (213.2 KB, 3 views)
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Last edited by Diane; 23-10-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 22-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #58
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

More on Roboethics

(see post #53 also)
Old 22-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #59
Diane

Check out this from Mindblog: Socialization between toddlers and robots.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 22-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #60
Diane

Here's "the first Canadian robot to make an appearance"... there's something about this one that seems a bit more .."real"... she's not an idealized female bot, she's Botbabe with boundaries. Note the programmer has programmed her to repel sexual harrassment.

She has had an apparent mishap of some sort, is in a wheelchair. She could be a training model for manual therapists perhaps, because she indicates when handling is too rough.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Last edited by Diane; 22-11-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 22-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #61
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

"She can feel pain sensations"--researcher (Le Trung?) in video.

Now if he could demonstrate that--wow!
Old 22-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #62
Diane

It would be nice if it could be demonstrated in humans too.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 22-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #63
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Good point Diane.

If one tried to treat Aiko's "pain" what would have to happen? How would we measure success?
Old 23-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #64
Diane

Here is Deric Bownds this morning on Kewl robotics, biologically inspired. Maybe that should be "cool" robotics.
Quote:
Although no module can move on its own, by using neural oscillators as drivers for the actuators and through the physical coupling between the units, a coordinated global wave of activation can be induced in clusters of more than 30 modules, which leads to forward movement, even though there is no global control.
Reminds me of the Glumbert kinetic sculptures that move eerily across a landscape driven only by wind. No nerves or brain.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 24-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #65
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

A Clever Robot
Old 24-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #66
Diane

Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 27-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #67
EricM
Arbiter

Socialization between toddlers and robots.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #68
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

There is any number of places that I could post this but this thread seemed the best place. (Hat tip to blogger Sabunim4Dan)

Evolution in your brain

From the interview

Quote:
By proposing the existence of artificial consciousness, aren’t you comparing the human brain to a computer?

No. For example, if you come into this room 10 times, you are not getting an identical set of signals each time, even though the room is relatively stable. Your brain has to be creative about how it integrates the signals coming into it. Computers don’t do that. Our brain is capable of symbolic reference, not just syntax. There’s a neurologist at the University of Milan in Italy named Edoardo Bisiach who’s an expert on a neuropsychological disorder known as anosognosia [a brain injury in which a patient is not aware of the impairment]. A patient with anosognosia often has a stroke in the right side, in the parietal cortex. That patient will have “hemineglect”: He or she cannot pay attention to the left side of the world. Shaves on one side. Draws half a house, not the whole house, et cetera. Bisiach had one patient who had this. He was intelligent. He was verbal. And Bisiach said to him, “Here are two cubes. I’ll put one in your left hand and one in my left hand. You do what I do.” And he went through a motion. And the patient said, “OK, doc. I did it.” Bisiach said, “No, you didn’t.” He said, “Sure, I did.” So Bisiach brought the patient’s hand into his right visual field and said, “Whose hand is this?” And the patient said, “Yours.” Bisiach said, “I can’t have three hands.” And the patient very calmly said, “Doc, it stands to reason if you’ve got three arms, you have to have three hands.” That case is evidence that the brain is not a machine for logic but in fact a construction that does pattern recognition. And it does it by filling in, in ambiguous situations.

Last edited by Jon Newman; 08-12-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #69
Diane

Here is a Neurophilosophy blogpost on controlling toys (and robots) through mental command.

(ASIMO, would you bring me a coffee, please? Two-percent double large latte thanks. You're cute, smooth and polite, and don't spill; you're still a bit slow but I'm sure you'll get the hang of this serving and bussing gig you're working on. I like how you go on a break and plug yourself in when you feel a bit tired. )
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #70
Diane

Here's something pertinent to PT in general, a good functional robot arm, courtesy of Dean Kamen's ingenuity. Matthias included him today in his blog post on learning.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Last edited by Diane; 12-12-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 14-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #71
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Hat tip to blogger Bobsie for this link.

Robo Love
Old 31-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #72
Diane

I saw this article about a successful prototype for a robot fly, and thought it definitely belonged right here in this thread.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 18-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #73
Diane

This post today by Mo at Neurophilosophy was a mind blower to me. Lots of great links too. A monkey in a lab 7000 miles away was able to keep a robot moving on a treadmill by focusing visually on its legs.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 20-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #74
Diane

The first two videos attached to this Greg Laden blogpost are of robot fish.
So pretty, especially the wall-eye.

(The other two fish videos are just weird. Maybe they are specimens washed up onto the beach by the tsunami a few years ago.. saw something similar at that time.)
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 22-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #75
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

Man is becoming mad? (perhaps it is already done..)
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/0...ur-roboti.html

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
bernard

Old 11-02-2008, 04:01 AM   #76
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

From the Philosopher's Zone (podcast): Minds and Computers

Last edited by bernard; 11-02-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: link
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #77
Diane

Why does it not surprise me that Sandra Blakeslee is the writer of this excellent article about the work done by Miguel A. L. Nicolelis to develop control of exoskeletons by intention alone? It does bring up memories of the Borg on StarTrek, but the practicalities it could afford the disabled (here on this planet ) are huge.

I'm not sure why this bionic arm thread languishes in the rubbish cube. Anyone have any objections to me retrieving it and putting it somewhere else?
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #78
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

File this under cool stuff. Here's a video of the robot interpretative dance.

Hat tip to The Neurocritic
Old 20-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #79
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

This Is a Computer on Your Brain

bernard

Old 20-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #80
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=4463

bernard

Old 23-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #81
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Deric Bownds has had some great entries lately (including his music) and I've meant to link to them. His most recent was enough to lower my energy of activation.
Old 14-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #82
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Mo from Neurophilsophy has another "how cool is that?" (hcit?, hereafter) blog entry. Read about a "brain" in a vat and a robot.

After checking out the above, consider rereading Against the zombification of PT.
Old 14-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #83
Diane

I love Mo's posts.

So, rat neurons receive "input" from sensors on the MEA, and "learn" to modify output. (I wonder if they realize what a funny looking "rat" they are running..)

Probably it's similar to the way neurons (of any kind of critter) deal with the mesoderm robot they find themselves, having to learn to control biological "life" cells that are arrayed in little cages of connective tissue, get the big organism to move by command.

Dennett says we have 100 trillion little robots (including all the neurons) making up our bodies, all without consciousness. Makes one think. Maybe we are deluded to think we are conscious at all, or that we can somehow control the process.

Here's a link to the most recent transcript I've done for the most recent episode of BrainSciencePodcast. Lots of discussion of why we need to test ideas outside our own brain to be more certain they are "good", because the feeling of being "certain" is most likely a drug-addled state. So not only are we probably robots ourselves, we are robots running thoughts laced with dopamine much of the time. The ones who realize this the most and want to double-check their ideas by running them through a scientific process to determine their worth are being the least robotic/most "human." Science helps make being a carbon-based life form not such a bad deal, really, less rather than more "matrix" (as in the movie).
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 18-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #84
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

If you can't beat them, become them. Here's a promising new device from Honda.
Old 18-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #85
Mary C
Chronic Chrawler

Guess it's cheaper than installing escalators and elevators. I can see an ex-athlete try it, or a young hemiplegic.
Old 18-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #86
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

I can imagine a much more diverse population using such a device. Anyone with LE weakness for whatever reason (e.g. long standing arthritis), but with sufficient trunk control could potentially benefit from something like this.

That said, I don't see this type of technology being available to many people any time soon. Like the Segway, it will simply be too expensive for the general population.

Actually, here's a video (slow loading). I imagine someone would need to train people in its use.

Last edited by Jon Newman; 19-11-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 19-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #87
Diane

Here is a little youtube newsclip that takes no time at all to load, about the same bionic legs for factory workers.

I see a future for uphill and downhill hiking - maybe here their new name would be Grouse Grinders.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Last edited by Diane; 19-11-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 21-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #88
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

I could also see this as a piece of rehab equipment. If the device was adjustable it could be utilized like weight assisted pull-ups (for instance). The assist could be slowly diminished as someone becomes more proficient. Or there could be zones where the assistance could be adjusted.
Old 21-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #89
EricM
Arbiter

This link should clear up any ambiguity in Diane's last post. The Grouse Grind.
Old 17-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #90
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Here is a study using artificial intelligence to help demential patients: The COACH prompting system to assist older adults with dementia through handwashing: An efficacy study
Old 18-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #91
EricM
Arbiter

Just for some fun.

The Humans Are Dead
Old 19-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #92
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

I found a simple way to be healthy human beings. A way to be good robots.
http://www.physioshop.co.uk/physio/posture-pals/

bernard

Old 19-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #93
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,452 Times in 638 Posts

Oh my goodness. That looks like the 30's in Germany, where all kinds of strap-designs were supposed to do the same thing - AND where whole exercise constructs were designed around straightness of the spine.....Creepy.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #94
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

I loved the video => (sorry but the sound is quite... bad)
http://www.physioshop.co.uk/physioth...ic-5-pack.html

bernard

Old 19-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #95
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

The X-strap thingy was still being used in 2005, as was taping. The rationale was drawn from McKenzie's theories on pain, so it was used for pain in thoracic/shoulder girdle/lumbar areas.
Like the now defunct McConnell taping, it helped a lot - but with little or no permanent effect, unless it was applied regularly.
Interesting that we can look back to recent times knowing now what we do.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #96
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Here's a lecture from a conference ("Stories From the Near Future") sponsored by The New Yorker. It's given by Yoky Matsuoka and titled Neurobotics.

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #97
bernard
Admin, Moderator...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...rain.html?pg=4

bernard

Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #98
smith

Default robots

Are there pleasure models?
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #99
EricM
Arbiter

A sober discussion about the place of robots in society. Thanks to The Onion.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #100
Jon Newman
Enjoy a moment of whimsy

Jerry Fordor reviews the book Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action and Cognitive Extension by Andy Clark.

His review starts

Quote:
If there’s anything we philosophers really hate it’s an untenable dualism. Exposing untenable dualisms is a lot of what we do for a living.
Of course this suggests that there are such things as tenable dualisms. As he states, mind the gap.

Hat tip: Butterflies and Wheels