SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > The Good and Best Evidences > The Pharos of Alexandria
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

The Pharos of Alexandria Books, papers, links...

Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
christophb
Arbiter

Default Thinking on the Edge

Guy Claxton “Thinking at the Edge”

I was thinking about Cory when I read this from Guy Claxton and SJ’s inability to understand his posts. Thanks to ian for sending me the link.

Quote:
creativity may sometimes involve periods of wild brainstorming and
experimentation, but more often it involves private sketching, gazing out of the
window, and quietly mulling over notes and possibilities, or what jazz musicians call
‘noodling’ (a kind of absent-minded improvisation).
Keep noodling away Cory, not that this is exactly what your doing over at EIM, but It seems like something useful can come out of this way of thinking... even though it may not be clear to certain people

I liked this part for some reason

Quote:
(I do not know of any research that proves that such teaching strategies result in
more imaginative, patient, creative students—but I have a strong hunch, and that
hunch could well form the seed of a research project, somewhere down the track.
Any masters students looking for a potential Ph.D. project, please note.)
Chris

"You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior then by hearing surprising facts about people in general"
Daniel Kahneman - Thinking Fast and Slow
christophb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
christophb
Arbiter

I liked this part also.

Quote:
It is clear that ‘thinking at the edge’ is a new and relatively unvalidated approach
to ‘soft creativity’, as yet. Early reports suggest that both young people and adults
find the process interesting and even exciting. The idea that it can take intelligent
people time to find the words to say what they want to say, can be liberating. The
idea that knowing how to make this time, and to use it skillfully, are aspects of
intelligence itself, can help to undercut the pernicious idea that clever people are
always fast, and that ‘slow’ is an acceptable euphemism for ‘stupid’. (Robert
Sternberg has recently argued that ‘if anything, the essence of intelligence would
seem to be in knowing when to think and act quickly and knowing when to think and
act slowly’; Sternberg, 1999).
I'm not sure if the method of communication on most forums really helps to facilitate this. Do thoughtful answers to tough questions emerge quickly and clearly all the time? Especially with new and evolving knowledge?

Chris

"You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior then by hearing surprising facts about people in general"
Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,310 Times in 2,865 Posts

There is a thread here on Guy Claxton's book, Hare Brain Tortoise Mind (among other things that the thread is about), in case anyone wants to look back. I remember being fascinated by the processes that he described as belonging to the "undermind" at the time. Yes, I thought of SJ too, quite a bit in fact, while writing that thread, as she may be flattered to find out, or embarrassed, depending on how her own mind is deepening (or not).
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Chris,

Thanks for bringing up these topics.

I suspect that communication via cyberspace is part of the problem. The facility allows people to think about a thoughtful response, but it also allows others to think up thoughtless responses.
Those who choose to rant at others with an often irrelevant and first-thoughts-off-the block style reveal themselves as rather frightened hares. It may be the USA system of health control doing this insiduously. It may be that they just grewed that way, becoming scared of hunches and other ideas.

It is interesting to see politicians, for instance, thinking on and off the edge. A hesitant, slightly smiling response to a tough question can be interpreted two ways: it can be seen as "I think that is a good question and I'll try to answer as best as I can" or "I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll respond as fast as I can because I mustn't appear ignorant or stupid".

Sometimes I feel sorry that obviously quite a few USA PTs are trapped by the rules of insurance companies and the apparent need always to follow orders and directions from others......but I feel sorry for the profession, not them.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
christophb
Arbiter

Thanks Diane.

There's a bundle of info for my brain to organize here at soma. I did have a gut feeling that this was talked about before, should have paid attention to that felt sense

Chris

Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,310 Times in 2,865 Posts

Nari, you are on the mark as usual.
Chris, no worries. It was your undermind working out a space to put all this material for compost.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote