SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 14-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Julie

Default Hello, and intro

Hi everyone. My name is Julie Roth and I am the PT Coordinator at a national headache center in the US. I attended Barrett's course in Toledo last week and I've been reading on the site daily since, and thought I should de-lurk.

It's been fun (mostly) processing what I heard. The truth is, the concepts were not a huge paradigm shift for me, as I've been nestled in the neurology community for some time (I've been at the headache institute for nearly 10 years now). I come from a very osteopathic manual medicine type training prior to coming here. And it seems that the longer I practice, the more I talk, listen and educate, and the less I "do." I have also found over the years that the "indirect" approaches, those that seem likely to be more specifically accessing the nervous system by design, are those that are most satisfying to do, have quick (immediate) results, and make me feel like a genius (I am not, I assure you). I am thinking about techniques such as kinesiotape (which uses the skin receptors to access the NS -- anyone tried it? I love it), positional releases and recipricol inhibition. Even some of the PRRT stuff (though I haven't taken a whole course there). Since taking the course, I conceive of myself using the "handles" of the musculoskeletal system to access the NS. I monitor neural tension in my patients a la Butler (I took his course ages ago), but I don't find great success in using the "threading/flossing" techniques I learned (and I certainly wouldn't do a "stretch"), and I'm not sure why. But I do find the positions to be useful for monitoring and pre and post tests.

I still haven't decided what to do about ideomotor activity. I just sigh every time I think about it. It took me years to gain the confidence of the neurologists I work with, and I can just imagine my patients telling them about the weird dance their therapist is doing with them..... I know I can't start it with patients until I can get more comfortable myself. Perhaps I'll begin with a select few, and see what happens.

I guess that's it for now.
Julie
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,809 Posts

Julie,

Thank you for posting. I certainly remember you.

Your comments will generate some discussion, I'm sure.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,569 Times in 2,980 Posts

Julie, you sound just like me. Apart from working at a headache center I should add. Welcome to somasimple.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Hi Julie and welcome.

You're in good company - the more one thinks and educates, the less needed to be 'done' ot the patient. I agree taping is excellent for talking to the nervous system, and have used it for a few years now. I have also found instinctive movement a bit of magic for headaches, but convincing others of the importance of instinctive movement/ideomotion for pain resolution is no simple task. I appreciate your position with neurologists re hard-won goodwill.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote