SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion > I Robot
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

I Robot News posted from robots.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
I Robot
RSS Robot

Default New JMMT Ahead of Print Article

Management and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders: A Clinical Perspective

EDWARD F. WRIGHT, DDS, MS; SARAH L. NORTH, PT, MPT

Abstract: A temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is a very common problem affecting up to 33% of individuals within their lifetime. TMD is often viewed as a repetitive motion disorder of the masticatory structures and has many similarities to musculoskeletal disorders of other parts of the body. Treatment often involves similar principles as other regions as well. However, patients with TMD and concurrent cervical pain exhibit a complex symptomatic behavior that is more challenging than isolated TMD symptoms. Although routinely managed by medical and dental practitioners, TMD may be more effectively cared for when physical therapists are involved in the treatment process. Hence, a listing of situations when practitioners should consider referring TMD patients to a physical therapist can be provided to the practitioners in each physical therapist's region. This paper should assist physical therapists with evaluating, treating, insurance billing, and obtaining referrals for TMD patients.

The full article is available online to JMMT subscribers.

View the Article

More...
I Robot is offline   Reply With Quote