SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion > Yet student, soon practitioner!
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Yet student, soon practitioner! Forum for students.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
mrupe82

Default A Good Start....

So, as a student I thought I would contribute with links, articles and essays that really helped me start here at SS and enhance my discussion with classmates and professors. It also helped me sort out some of the information I've been taught in class and not take it as the cure all approach to patient care. All of my elementary questions got me referred to these threads/sources. I figured I'd save you the question asking (and low intelligence feeling, at least that's how I felt), and maybe help out.

"The Chasm"

"Crossing the Chasm"

"The Problem with OMPT"....see attachments

Jason's Pain Handouts

The ABCDEFGHI of Persistent Pain....see attachments

Diane's DNM...see attachments

Melzack's Neuromatrix...see attachment

Forum Moderators' Consensus on Pain

Effects of manual therapy on connective tissue...see attachments

Myofascial release and evidence based practice....see attachments

Craniosacral therapy and evidence based practice...see attachments

Five Questions

A Big Mistake

Asking Why?

Last edited by mrupe82; 26-10-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Forgot one
mrupe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
mrupe82

Default So..

Let me know what ya'll think. A decent start for students with questions?
mrupe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,251 Times in 2,839 Posts

Thank you for organizing this Matt, and for learning how to link!
Such good deeds will not go unnoticed.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,725 Posts

Nor will they go unpunished (ha, ha).

Matt, you've done a wonderful thing here and if an old guy like me might offer some advice it is this: Do not attach undue significance to your fellow's tendency to avoid using or even attending to this information. Many are wonderfully motivated and well-meaning therapists though they might not possess your passion for change. This doesn't make them bad people or bad therapists - they're just human and trying to stay alive. It's a full time job.

You, on the other hand, are already dead.

Congratulations.
Old 26-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
smikolic

mrupe82,

Thank you for this! I wish I was so organized...I need to work on that, and on figuring out how that techno stuff (links and stuff) works. Shoot, I'm just happy to have gained personal internet access again so I can look into this stuff more here (had quite a chunk of time away when I was in the middle of the northwoods w/o internet access waiting to find our own home near civilization).

I don't think what you've posted is just helpful for students, but for exactly what you said, to help get the conversation going (or keep it ongoing) in the spirit of enhancing knowledge. I guess I would consider myself a student even now though, even if I am not in formal school anymore....I didn't gratuate but last May anyway....and can't wait to read through what you have weeded out that I have not yet found/read.

And just a tip....that low intellegence feeling may stay...I've got a year and a lot of resources as well as some great mentors along the way....but I have not lost that "low intellegence" feeling yet....but, as I try to remind myself, learning has no place for feelings. And to help myself, and maybe help you out, I changed the word intellegence to knowlege and/or exposure, and I do allow myself the "feeling" of excitement and thanks to make up for keeping my feelings out of the learning....gotta let loose a little!

So, with feeling, thank you!
Steph

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin
smikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,419 Times in 623 Posts

..about that "low intelligence" feeling?
Ain't ever going away.

Had it for a few years now, after a boom period of "man, I know everything!" right after school in the 80's.....

I must admit, this feels more real.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
smikolic

Bas,

Thanks for helping me lose all hope.....! Just kiddin'...you are so right about the feeling of being very lacking keeps me searching, and that is real. What you said just gopt me thinking about how it might feel to know everything and think myself so intelligent and knowledgable......scary. Maybe that's not the thing to hope to acheive 'eh?

Steph

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin
Old 27-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
BB
Arbiter

Quote:
Do not attach undue significance to your fellow's tendency to avoid using or even attending to this information. Many are wonderfully motivated and well-meaning therapists though they might not possess your passion for change. This doesn't make them bad people or bad therapists - they're just human and trying to stay alive. It's a full time job.

You, on the other hand, are already dead.

Congratulations.
Barrett, that's got to be the perfect welcome to somasimple.

My facebook page
My youtube channel Twitter

Neurotonics: a PT team blog
Somasimple on twitter
Pain and Neuroscience for Manual Physical Therapists Facebook page
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,419 Times in 623 Posts

Cory, I concur - perfectly "warm" welcome. Well done Barrett.

Isn't it time we name a select group here "The Dead Therapists' Society"?

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
EricM
Arbiter

Quote:
I love it. Been feeling particularly dead lately.
Old 27-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #11
TexasOrtho
Arbiter

Matt. I have been challenging a year's worth of students to sign-on and post to this forum. So far only one has claimed to sign-on with no posts. I think this would be a great avenue for students to access the information here and feel less intimidated to do so.

I truly believe the universities are the most fertile grounds for this kind of information seeking. I'm glad you are doing this and will continue to invite students to follow your lead.
Old 27-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #12
Kirsten

mrupe82,

Thanks so much for posting that. I am not a student, been a PT for awhile but looking for a better way......

Much appreciated,
Kirsten
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
Diane

Matt maybe we should hire you to make an index for this site. Wiki pages etc.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Old 27-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Quote:
Definitely. Especially as our numbers of dead PTs is growing...

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
Diane

Maybe we should have a forum called "Marble Orchard" where we can put the index I'm trying to persuade Matt to create.
It could be the final resting place of all the writings of all the 'dead men' people around here..
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 27-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,725 Posts

Rod says:

Quote:
I have been challenging a year's worth of students to sign-on and post to this forum. So far only one has claimed to sign-on with no posts.
This sounds familiar. I'm wondering how the group might interpret the following: I sent 70 personal emails to the directors of PT programs in the US this summer, choosing that season purposely. I got exactly one reply from someone who already knew me. Her enthusiasm for visiting here ended immediately afterward, I guess. She's not registered or shown up in any obviously visible way.

A cologne comes to mind. The perfume industry spends a lot of time and money coming up with something they can sell because of what the scent implies about the man or woman who chooses to use it. I doubt that the odor itself is as important as the packaging, the advertising or the celebrity spokesperson. We've not invested any real time or effort in such things, all of them deceptive to some degree.

Without that, most colognes would would stink. In my opinion, anyway.

We need a celebrity spokesperson, and that's what I was hoping to discover somewhere in the academic community, including Stan Paris' crowd. So far, nothin'.

Matt, take heart. Maybe your generation will be the one to drag the profession out of the misconceptions perpetuated by your teachers. Maybe you'll be the celebrity we seek. Maybe you'll be one of the few who can honestly say that you corresponded with and (occasionally) actually met a few of us, and that will really impress someone.

By then of course, guess what I'll really be.
Old 27-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
smikolic

A celebrity spokesperson would be scary. I tend to avoid stuff tauted by celebrities. Plus, I'd be terrified that if a face is attached and that person ends up, I don't know, dying of a drug overdose or beating their wife/husband or having sex with someone or whatever....it would ruin not only their career, but the image the site has....and that would suck to say the least. But you might be right about getting this stuff out there in some attractive way.

I just keep questioning pretty much every assumption my patients, my collegues, myself makes, and talking about my understandings of stuff to see if people may get a little more curious, or at least stimulated to defend their understandings. This tends to get people interested in where my ideas come from, which is when doors are opened to people coming here. I got 2 people today interested enough to actually write down the name of the site. One is a PT who is looking for more (again...I thank goodness when that happens) as my explanations and questions itched her brain a little (think she suddenly felt like she was "dying" as you all say here), and one is an OT that talked with me about the real effect of lymphatic massage...I theorize that it is more a central effect than the mesodermal understanding of pushing fluid anywhere...she said she feels changes, and I agreed their are significant changes that are observable if you know what to look for, but when a pt has new hair growth on her head as a result of lymphatic management to her arms/body, how much can we argue that the effect is purely mesodermal....what do lymph ducts do to promote hair growth? She couldn't explain it with the limitations of her understanding and she agrees that there are some strange effects that she has seen and heard of and that they are being taught a little of the central affect....but the understanding of it is so limited it seems as to be lacking in any excitement or realization on the part of the practitioners for the most part (as mesodermal effects really are not exciting at all.....but the meaning behind them is the exciting part in my opinion).

Beyond that, perhaps this site is simply not Facebooky enough for the generation. This is a confusing mix and network of ideas and threads that seems to have no order or meaning to it, unless you know where to look or get someone like our student here organizing a great starting point and getting people stimulated from there to keep learning by yet more clicks on yet more fascinating threads. We should maybe do more catchy fun click-on-me-to-see type stuff to get people hooked....Though I'm pretty sure that the more "intellectual-type" people of this group will be sticking out their tongues at that assessment, but if we are just sharing ideas, that's mine. For example, on Facebook, there are snazzy surveys or tests to play and compare your answers to others (like who are you more like, Barrett or whoever based on this silly test...and then send it to your friends to find out what they are like or answering like) etc. And there are these games to join in playing with your friends where you can gift them stuff (like, I don't know.....information?) to make their little farm or whatever grow better.....Maybe Soma should get some of those Facebook creators on board!

And as far as schools. They are innundated with info, and you can only do so much to get students seeking more info. I was introduced to this site by my professor, but it was my own motivation to learn that got me here.....not his urging....he just answered my questions with a source with which to find the answers myself....at the time I thought that sucked (wanted the answers, not to have to work at finding them myself!)....but I learned better.

Steph

Old 27-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
gerry

A cologne, huh?

Scent of a dead man?

Corpse odeaure?

gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by smikolic View Post
For example, on Facebook, there are snazzy surveys or tests to play and compare your answers to others (like who are you more like, Barrett or whoever based on this silly test...and then send it to your friends to find out what they are like or answering like) etc. And there are these games to join in playing with your friends where you can gift them stuff (like, I don't know.....information?) to make their little farm or whatever grow better.....Maybe Soma should get some of those Facebook creators on board!
It would be nice maybe, converting that sort of connection capacity to this, a non-commercial venture.

I started a "facebooky" kind of thread, here.

Part of the challenge is exposure, collating and organizing, the other part is assimilating, digesting, and thinking, then disseminating what's been gleaned and how it pertains to us. It's a dual problem.
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
@PainPhysiosCan
@WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

Old 27-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Speaking of colognes and corpses, is there something about the air in Wisconsin? We have far more posting PTs in WI than anywhere else on earth. Must be something good.....

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #21
smikolic

Well, since we can't be the "dairy state" anymore....maybe we are determined to be the vocal state? I honestly have no theory.....but maybe it is a sign that this stuff is contagious!

Old 28-10-2009, 02:25 AM   #22
Frédéric
Swaying against the breeze

If we are to be the Dead therapist society, I suggest our song to be Dead Man Walking by Pearl Jam...
Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
»
Friedrich Nietzsche
www.physioaxis.ca
chroniquesdedouleur blog
Frédéric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
tonyf315
OCD neuromatrix for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nari View Post
Speaking of colognes and corpses, is there something about the air in Wisconsin? We have far more posting PTs in WI than anywhere else on earth. Must be something good.....

Nari
Haha maybe because it is so cold here?
tonyf315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Clark

Finally got around to reading all of these... wow, knowledge bomb. I might have to read the Neuromatrix of Pain a few (hundred) more times, but I'm looking forward to appreciating it on new levels a little later on. Thanks for organizing all of this!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote