SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
vancouverRMT
wellandabler

Default Intro

Hey everybody!
I am an evidence-based therapist. My main treatment modalities include working with soft tissue mobilization and movement education. I treat most patient populations. I primarily work with facial tissue and the nervous system. My goal is to return the patient to their optimum health as fast as possible while educating them in the process, so that they can keep their new found strength and mobility.

I'm pretty green when it comes to the rehab world. I consider myself a baby when it comes to what I need to know. I have a big thirst to be the best therapist I can and I seem to spend hours on pubmed, in journals, books, blogs, and listening to podcasts.
Any recommendations on what are the essentials?

Mike Reoch, RMT
vancouverRMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Frédéric
Swaying against the breeze

Welcome Mike

Are you familiar with the difference between Evidence based and Science based medecine?

I presume that you treat people in pain so my recommandations on readings would be for you to read this, this and this. If you haven't already read Explain Pain by Butler and Moseley and The Sensitive Nervous System by David Butler, then these are essential books. Most research coming from Bialosky et al is very interesting.

I was wondering what you think you can do to a fascia (and how) in a therapeutic way?
Maybe you could also read this

If you approach this forum with an open mind and are ready to re-appraise many rationnals held in the manual therapy world, you will truly like this forum.

Enjoy!
Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
»
Friedrich Nietzsche
www.physioaxis.ca
chroniquesdedouleur blog
Frédéric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Karen L

Hi Mike,

I am Karen an RMT in Victoria. The best place to start is by searching threads about things like trigger points and fascia MFR and anything else you are interested in. You are going to be challenged by what you find here and be left uncomfortable with the things you thought you knew about manual therapy. The next thing is to ask questions of the members and discuss stuff.

Two of the most useful concepts you need to know.

1. Pain is in the Brain and
2. The skin is the brain exposed.

There are five questions you also need to search out and understand plus

the characteristics of correction that result from instinctive movement.

Search for threads for Moseley, Ideomotor, DNM, Pain, Five Questions, WESS, Quintner and Cohen, Melzack, the neuromatrix of pain. Occam's Razor and everything else. These are but a drop in the bucket.

Read Barrett's threads; this is a recent favorite of mine To Simplify (click to follow link).

One that will challenge you The Pleasantist ask if you have any questions about this one.

Stick around and you will learn a lot about neurology. It's where the pain is.

Karen
Karen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
vancouverRMT
wellandabler

Thanks for the reply and the great links.
Frédéric: I have read and watched some of Butlers work but have not had a chance to pick up his book. I do use some of his Neuro gliding and loading in my practice. I will get on looking up Bialosky.
As to evidence vs. science... my guess evidence points to a direction, science follows the path already made?
As to fascia... what I call facial release is more of a osteopathic approach then a Barns one. I consider fascia to be tendons, periosteum, epimysium, endomysium, epineurium, etc...
I agree trying to treat the TFL directly is a waste of time. Telling the NS via glutes and Adductors to release tension seems to do the trick.
Willie Fourie said that fascia controls the quality of movement and I can seesome reason to this.
When Tom Findley was in town he presented this study and I had a chance to talk with Tom about the study. It takes like 600 -900 lbs to deform the TFL!
My copy is at home but I remember that not all facial structures are equal, we should focus on the tissues we can effect. Last but not least your paper on BMM was a real ah-ha moment for me. Many thanks! No I did not go running naked through the street after reading it.
Karen:I have been struggling with the idea of trigger points recently. This site has been a help with figuring this our.
"The skin is the brain exposed" I have heard that before... was it Ashley Montagu, or Barrett? I'll have to trace my steps.
I have lots of reading here to catch up on
Mike
Old 21-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
vancouverRMT
wellandabler

Maybe I should explain how I got here.
About a year ago I heard about this forum through A Rod Henderson podcast with Barrett. I was intrigued by his idea of simple motion as I had never heard it before. It sounded similar to the manual method that Cranial Sacral Therapy is applied. Am I close?
Reading Dian Jacobs website yesterday, she had a great explanation on treatment http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg8sf6hf_78c4jsfrqj that really hit home with me.

A couple days ago I was sent a link by Bodhi Henderson, our assoc. head of research, to the core discussion here: http://www.somasimple.com/forums/sho...ighlight=razor
What a great debate. It got me wanting to hear more so I signed up.

Mike Reoch
Post New Thread  Reply